Photo

Is the Wii U Really a Graphical Jump Over the PS3 & 360?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic

#101 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Well It would be good to see a new Metroid and StarFox game, I just hope the StarFox game isn't entirely an on rails shooter.

What makes you think StarFox is in higher demand than Metroid? That's not to say that it isn't but Metroid is arguably the superior series.

metroid has had its fair share of games in the past ten years, unlike starfox.

Signature_Fox.png

#102 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

I see that being as much of a negative than positive. Yes it is nice to have options, but will those choices lead to confusion for many gamers when Game X is optimized for the GamePad, Game Y is optimized for the Pro Controller, and Game Z uses the original Wii Remotes?

The main focus is the GamePad, with the optional controllers that I listed.

Posted Image

#103 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

If Wii U have more than 15 million head start over Sony and Microsoft, than it is possible for Wii U to become platform of choice for developers! I think that pc has the best chance to become lead platform for gaming, so maybe we see very different gaming culture more focused on pc gaming!

I'm sorry but it won't. I am getting a Wii U at launch, but once XBOX 720 comes out with the latest COD, Halo and Gears, the system will quickly gain all the traction it needs to be the main system for developers with the others getting the ports once again. I don't see anything Nintendo or Sony for that matter can do to change that. At least nothing at all that Nintendo has shown so far. Sony will likely once again be off in their own world touting some awesome first-party and exclusive games, but it seems like more now than ever the hardcore gaming community is coming back to and sticking to XBOX.

Edited by JaylisJayP, 27 October 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#104 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm sorry but it won't. I am getting a Wii U at launch, but once XBOX 720 comes out with the latest COD, Halo and Gears, the system will quickly gain all the traction it needs to be the main system for developers with the others getting the ports once again. I don't see anything Nintendo or Sony for that matter can do to change that. At least nothing at all that Nintendo has shown so far. Sony will likely once again be off in their own world touting some awesome first-party and exclusive games, but it seems like more now than ever the hardcore gaming community is coming back to and sticking to XBOX.

How does Nintendo become the main system for developers? I think Microsoft pays third parties to do this similarly to how they get DLC first. Should Nintendo pay these developers?

#105 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

We don't know which of the newer formats is going to succeed, be it wii u, xbox 720, ps4 etc. We can't make assumptions. As much as I love first person shooters there is more to gaming than that. The wii succeeded with old technology and a grossly inflated retail price. The wii u will have a family friendly image to appeal to a wider spectrum of people. It's also using technology that is close to current gen and will be very cheap to make once R&D costs are out of the way. It's likely Nintendo can undercut the 720 and PS4 on price at every opportunity and provide a wealth of exciting games before both the Xbox 720 and PS4 arrive. It's controller will offer more gameplay opportunities and graphically it may be quite close even if cpu power will mean some dumbing down with regards physics engine, AI and other cpu intensive elements of games. Lets not forget so far both xbox's have been un-profitable with Microsoft writing off a huge sum of money due to the RROD issue and the ps3 simply being too complicated a design to sell at the required retail price. I think Sony at least will be a lot more conservative with their ps4 design.

#106 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Not really sure how powerful the graphics are compared to the PS3 and 360. But it doesn't really matter to me, I just care about good gameplay. Graphics do factor in a game ( Rayman Legends looks beautiful) and they are nice to have. But they're not going to make or break a game for me ( unless the graphics are blurry and unidentifiable).

#107 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

We don't know which of the newer formats is going to succeed, be it wii u, xbox 720, ps4 etc. We can't make assumptions. As much as I love first person shooters there is more to gaming than that. The wii succeeded with old technology and a grossly inflated retail price. The wii u will have a family friendly image to appeal to a wider spectrum of people. It's also using technology that is close to current gen and will be very cheap to make once R&D costs are out of the way. It's likely Nintendo can undercut the 720 and PS4 on price at every opportunity and provide a wealth of exciting games before both the Xbox 720 and PS4 arrive. It's controller will offer more gameplay opportunities and graphically it may be quite close even if cpu power will mean some dumbing down with regards physics engine, AI and other cpu intensive elements of games. Lets not forget so far both xbox's have been un-profitable with Microsoft writing off a huge sum of money due to the RROD issue and the ps3 simply being too complicated a design to sell at the required retail price. I think Sony at least will be a lot more conservative with their ps4 design.

Technology close to current gen? Source?

Posted Image

#108 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Technology close to current gen? Source?

That would be just about every developer leak and actual wii u games that have been shown. It really depends on how you view close though. The generation jump between ps2 and ps3 was huge as was xbox to xbox 360. The ps2 is probably no more than about 40% as powerful as the original xbox. By that definition you could probably comfortably say wii u was very close to current gen when comparing to 360/ps3 but wii u compared to the original wii is a huge generational jump. I think at best the wii u is 2x performance of current 360 and ps3 models overall. Cpu performance is likely very close or possibly a bit less.

#109 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

That would be just about every developer leak and actual wii u games that have been shown. It really depends on how you view close though. The generation jump between ps2 and ps3 was huge as was xbox to xbox 360. The ps2 is probably no more than about 40% as powerful as the original xbox. By that definition you could probably comfortably say wii u was very close to current gen when comparing to 360/ps3 but wii u compared to the original wii is a huge generational jump. I think at best the wii u is 2x performance of current 360 and ps3 models overall. Cpu performance is likely very close or possibly a bit less.

I asked for a source, not what "leaks" you've heard about. Everything I've heard from CONFIRMED developers have been along the lines of "The Wii U is a powerful machine".

Posted Image

#110 Welsh Jester

Welsh Jester

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Has anyone seen news of fifa 13?, even though i don't like football it seems they have enhanced the graphics in a few areas. Most notably the field has proper looking grass instead of being flat like on 360/ps3, players shirts have been enhanced and the detail on the crowd in the background. If they can do that in a rush i think games could look noticably better on Wii U given they spend more time on it.

Edited by Welsh Jester, 28 October 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#111 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

The Wii U is definitely much more powerful than the HD twins. Everything inside the Wii U is much newer technology, anybody who says otherwise doesn't have a clue. I guarantee you that first year Wii U games will look much better than any PS3/360 games.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#112 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

The Wii U is definitely much more powerful than the HD twins. Everything inside the Wii U is much newer technology, anybody who says otherwise doesn't have a clue. I guarantee you that first year Wii U games will look much better than any PS3/360 games.

Yep, people are worried for the Wii U when the next round of consoles come out too, I'm not because it's imposible for M$ and $ony to make it much more powerful without skyrocketing costs anyway, I tell you in the current climate if Sony release another £600 console they are done, that thing will gather dust on store shelves.

#113 deerang

deerang

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

There is a big difference with Wii U and Xbox/PS3. The Wii U needs power for the streaming to the gamepad. The gamepad has nothing to render what you see, it's all streamed. That means the GPU is pumping out two different images at the same time, this is something you all forget. The added ram and stronger gpu simply offsets the cycles needed to render on two screens at similar resolutions, it's basically double the work. This is why there is no support for two gamepads, the power is not there to render on three screens. Wii U will always have this problem. It's likely you will see heavy graphically taxing games not really using the gamepad that much, perhaps a map in Zelda or something like that but not two screens running in full resolution with the same amount of polygons. Also when Wii U does start to produce games that seem slightly better than Xbox/Ps3 it will be irrelevant because Xbox 720 will be out, Nintendo just fail at producing consoles that are not obselete after a year every single time, this is the same case again.

#114 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

There is a big difference with Wii U and Xbox/PS3. The Wii U needs power for the streaming to the gamepad. The gamepad has nothing to render what you see, it's all streamed. That means the GPU is pumping out two different images at the same time, this is something you all forget. The added ram and stronger gpu simply offsets the cycles needed to render on two screens at similar resolutions, it's basically double the work. This is why there is no support for two gamepads, the power is not there to render on three screens. Wii U will always have this problem. It's likely you will see heavy graphically taxing games not really using the gamepad that much, perhaps a map in Zelda or something like that but not two screens running in full resolution with the same amount of polygons. Also when Wii U does start to produce games that seem slightly better than Xbox/Ps3 it will be irrelevant because Xbox 720 will be out, Nintendo just fail at producing consoles that are not obselete after a year every single time, this is the same case again.

Sounds to me that you're a traitor to Nintendo. Personally, I don't think Nintendo will fail producing consoles... not to mention the fact that the original Wii had sold more than 92 million units worldwide.

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#115 deerang

deerang

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Rofl yeah that's why i bought a Wii U, i'm a traitor, don't be so insulting. I like Nintendo products, but i know what i'm getting and do not delude myself. You just came across as a fanboy and totally ignored everything i wrote in my post. I'm quite happy to own a Wii U and an Xbox 720, are you ???

#116 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

And here's something YOU forgot. The Wii U is built for the GamePad. Do you think Nintendo would have built a system and the controller separate? The Wii U will have plenty of power to use. This is Nintendo we're talking about, not Microsoft.

Posted Image

#117 deerang

deerang

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

And here's something YOU forgot. The Wii U is built for the GamePad. Do you think Nintendo would have built a system and the controller separate? The Wii U will have plenty of power to use. This is Nintendo we're talking about, not Microsoft.

Is this forum just fanboys ? Really it will have plenty of power to use will it ? How do you think the Wii u renders two things at the same time, magic ? Show me another system that can stream two fully rendered screens of different things. Smartglass does not do that, it's simple menu systems nothing more. Vita does not do that either. Can i run the same game twice on my pc ? Nope. Regardless of the rude fanboy replies Wii U still needs to render two things at once, that is CPU intensive. This has nothing to do with Microsoft. I'm buying a Wii U cause it looks fun, i would be a complete idiot to buy one for better graphics though, especially when Nintendo really don't want to give out any details of what is inside the machine or how anything works. Show me one piece of information that states what the gamepad is running with. Does it have any internal memory ? Does it need software ? How long will it be usuable when charged ? It's released in 18 days and those details are still not available. I'm really hoping that on the 18th people do not start posting "omg the gamepad only has power for two hours" because atm i have no idea, it's the one detail Nintendo will not disclose an it's a pretty damn important detail.

I have bought Nintendo consoles all my life, i will continue to do so, i love Nintendo games, i dont really need Nintendo machines to be powerhouses but i can also afford to buy multiple consoles so i can play the games i want, if i need a powerhouse i will buy one.

#118 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Is this forum just fanboys ? Really it will have plenty of power to use will it ? How do you think the Wii u renders two things at the same time, magic ? Show me another system that can stream two fully rendered screens of different things. Smartglass does not do that, it's simple menu systems nothing more. Vita does not do that either. Can i run the same game twice on my pc ? Nope. Regardless of the rude fanboy replies Wii U still needs to render two things at once, that is CPU intensive. This has nothing to do with Microsoft. I'm buying a Wii U cause it looks fun, i would be a complete idiot to buy one for better graphics though, especially when Nintendo really don't want to give out any details of what is inside the machine or how anything works. Show me one piece of information that states what the gamepad is running with. Does it have any internal memory ? Does it need software ? How long will it be usuable when charged ? It's released in 18 days and those details are still not available. I'm really hoping that on the 18th people do not start posting "omg the gamepad only has power for two hours" because atm i have no idea, it's the one detail Nintendo will not disclose an it's a pretty damn important detail.

I have bought Nintendo consoles all my life, i will continue to do so, i love Nintendo games, i dont really need Nintendo machines to be powerhouses but i can also afford to buy multiple consoles so i can play the games i want, if i need a powerhouse i will buy one.

Oh, so I'm a fanboy because of what I said? Grow up. It's not like I'm saying "NINTENDO IS GODLY AND CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT SO STFU!" Nintendo's tech team built the console around the GamePad. They designed each component to run with the GamePad. It's ALL customized for the best. Do you think they would overlook something as simple as how CPU intensive 1 GamePad is? Let's not forget that the system will be supporting 2 GamePads in the near future.

Posted Image

#119 deerang

deerang

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Oh, so I'm a fanboy because of what I said? Grow up. It's not like I'm saying "NINTENDO IS GODLY AND CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT SO STFU!" Nintendo's tech team built the console around the GamePad. They designed each component to run with the GamePad. It's ALL customized for the best. Do you think they would overlook something as simple as how CPU intensive 1 GamePad is? Let's not forget that the system will be supporting 2 GamePads in the near future.

No you're a fanboy due to your insulting replies, tone it down and i may be able to have a reasonable discussion with you, why are you getting so upset anyway ? Very unfriendly attitude to someone new to the board.

#120 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

No you're a fanboy due to your insulting replies, tone it down and i may be able to have a reasonable discussion with you, why are you getting so upset anyway ? Very unfriendly attitude to someone new to the board.

AGAIN, how does that make me a fanboy? And how am I insulting? And how can I be reasonable when you won't listen to the points I'm making?

Edited by Dragon, 29 October 2012 - 08:24 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!