#1 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

hey all, this topic is very short notice cos i kind of need the answer asap so obviously its totally my fault if i dont get one in time :P

anyway im getting a new laptop, i was going to get one a week ago but i found out windows 8 laptops are launching today in the UK so i held out. i'm going to try it myself in store today but i've seen a tonne of critisism. so far none of it seems serious, just wining about change and some people thinking you can't do certain things cos they didn't research enough. but i did hear one genuine worry, apparently sometimes performance is weak for the first batch of new hardware for a new OS cos the hardware and software aren't developed together specifically for each other so the software isn't optimised. is this true? will i see limited performance on my new laptop because its the first for windows 8? and will this problem be fixed by simply wiping the OS and getting windows 7 installed on the same laptop?

Posted Image

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

honestly, windows 8 doesnt have anything that really importaint on it to get an upgrade for it, and it looks like its mainly made for tablets not really laptops or anything, plus most software isnt even ported tow indows 8, i would give it about a year when it feels almost like a must like when i did my update from vista to 7 i only upgraded because it got way to outdated, its not really needed if you think about it

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

honestly, windows 8 doesnt have anything that really importaint on it to get an upgrade for it, and it looks like its mainly made for tablets not really laptops or anything, plus most software isnt even ported tow indows 8, i would give it about a year when it feels almost like a must like when i did my update from vista to 7 i only upgraded because it got way to outdated, its not really needed if you think about it

i understand what you're saying but it is necessary that i buy a new laptop cos i need one for school and want one that will last my entire three years of university. i only have a desktop now, i'm not simply upgrading my current laptop :) so do you think i should just get the windows 8 laptop now?
Posted Image

#4 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

i understand what you're saying but it is necessary that i buy a new laptop cos i need one for school and want one that will last my entire three years of university. i only have a desktop now, i'm not simply upgrading my current laptop :) so do you think i should just get the windows 8 laptop now?

well, here is how i see it with the laptop, you you can find one with the same hardware but one has windows 7 and the other 8, depending on how much more 8 is i would go with 7, if they are about the same price, 8 but like i said, software wise i personaly would go with 7 but in your situation, chances are that wont even matter and 8 might be a better route, keep in mind im not aware of these prominence problems you have spoken of so i recomend you don some more reasearch on that before you 100% set your mind (but that can be fixed in updates sooooo) i dont know, 7 and 8 is a tough choice really

wa3Nq7j.png

#5 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Windows 7. DEFINITELY get Windows 7.

Posted Image

#6 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

well, here is how i see it with the laptop, you you can find one with the same hardware but one has windows 7 and the other 8, depending on how much more 8 is i would go with 7, if they are about the same price, 8 but like i said, software wise i personaly would go with 7 but in your situation, chances are that wont even matter and 8 might be a better route, keep in mind im not aware of these prominence problems you have spoken of so i recomend you don some more reasearch on that before you 100% set your mind (but that can be fixed in updates sooooo) i dont know, 7 and 8 is a tough choice really

great advice thanks :) you said the issues might be fixed through updates, i think this is a key aspect of my decision, if they can then i will go 8, but of course if the issue is to do with hardware not being tailored to windows 8 that would not be fixable through an update right? so is there by any chance something in your head that tells you "absolute bull, the hardware shouldn't be any different, its all in the software" or is that a genuine possibility?
Posted Image

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

If windows 8 is free/ a cheap upgrade, why not?
Otherwise stick with 7.

anyway im getting a new laptop, i was going to get one a week ago but i found out windows 8 laptops are launching today in the UK so i held out. i'm going to try it myself in store today but i've seen a tonne of critisism. so far none of it seems serious, just wining about change and some people thinking you can't do certain things cos they didn't research enough.

Windows 8's main point of criticizing is the UI. It's stupid for laptops and desktop computers.

but i did hear one genuine worry, apparently sometimes performance is weak for the first batch of new hardware for a new OS cos the hardware and software aren't developed together specifically for each other so the software isn't optimised. is this true? will i see limited performance on my new laptop because its the first for windows 8? and will this problem be fixed by simply wiping the OS and getting windows 7 installed on the same laptop?

Nope.

Edited by Nollog, 26 October 2012 - 05:28 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

I say no.
I upgraded and got a new laptop last month. It comes with the $10 windows 8 upgrade. I havent upgraded ,because win8 is still new and i know alot of my software probably wont work right.
Imo i say wait.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

I say no.
I upgraded and got a new laptop last month. It comes with the $10 windows 8 upgrade. I havent upgraded ,because win8 is still new and i know alot of my software probably wont work right.
Imo i say wait.

The problems going from XP to Vista were mainly to do with UAC.
There shouldn't be any issues going from Vista or 7 to 8, unless you have really old software, but you can get XP mode (virtual machine) for those.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

Idk. I got a new laptop. but my main programs are after effect 6, element 3d, conevertxtodvd. And i just feel its better to stick with what i know works. Then upgrade to a system that may not work and that has a funny looking gui to me.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#11 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Nope.

sorry i didn't understand, by "no" do you mean there shouldn't be any performance issues?
Posted Image

#12 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

from what i've seen, I don't like were Microsoft is going with Windows 8. it looks like its been made for tablets and not for laptops and desktop pc's. Without the original start button, its going to be allot slower to get to and find certain things, it also takes 3 steps to get to the desktop which I find is worrying. also because its new they might be issues with it early on. This is just my opinion and i think it will just be a case of getting used to the new ui.

will i see limited performance on my new laptop because its the first for windows 8? and will this problem be fixed by simply wiping the OS and getting windows 7 installed on the same laptop?

if you don't like windows 8, you can always get windows 7. I looked into this a bit because i am getting a new windows 8 pc soon, and found something called "downgrade rights" were you can downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 for free. Although I do not know how this works and I suspect Microsoft will make it hard for people to do this.

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#13 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

from what i've seen, I don't like were Microsoft is going with Windows 8. it looks like its been made for tablets and not for laptops and desktop pc's. Without the original start button, its going to be allot slower to get to and find certain things, it also takes 3 steps to get to the desktop which I find is worrying. also because its new they might be issues with it early on. This is just my opinion and i think it will just be a case of getting used to the new ui.
if you don't like windows 8, you can always get windows 7. I looked into this a bit because i am getting a new windows 8 pc soon, and found something called "downgrade rights" were you can downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 for free. Although I do not know how this works and I suspect Microsoft will make it hard for people to do this.

great i really appreciate the help :) i just hope that any issues i might find early on are fixable through updates rather than issues with the compatibility of the hardware's architecture and the software
Posted Image

#14 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Dont Listen to any of these guys... Vista is where its at man :P

#15 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

I'd stick with 7. Unless you really want something different or want you pc, 360, and windows phone all connected. It's a mobile interface that they made workable for home PC's and laptops. I think Microsoft will be regretting windows 8 for years to come and we will see another version. Microsoft will then explain How Windows 8 was never meant to replace 7 ,but work a long with it. Remember the Microsoft motto, release first, apologize and fix later.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#16 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Stick with 7. 8 is going to have some bugs and kinks that need to be worked out first. It's usually not worth being an early adoptee when it comes to a new OS.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#17 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Windows 7 will not be supported in a year or three.
It's better to use newer Microsoft software if security is a concern.

I meant nope to all your questions in the quote.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#18 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Windows 7 will not be supported in a year or three.
It's better to use newer Microsoft software if security is a concern.

I meant nope to all your questions in the quote.

thats funny, people still support xp and vista, dont know what you are talking about

wa3Nq7j.png

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

thats funny, people still support xp and vista, dont know what you are talking about

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

I'm sorry for confusing you.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:58 PM