7 replies to this topic

#1 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

http://www.destructo...iu-238776.phtml

ZombiU will be viewed through a very particular lens, one designed to scrutinize the Wii U's worth as a "hardcore" gaming system. One of the few original launch titles built to appeal to the lifelong gamer, many are going to judge its worth as a demonstration of the GamePad's functions and how they can make familiar experiences more engaging.

While that is a perfectly valid way to approach ZombiU, it is something of a tragedy that it shall be the near universal standard by which it is judged. For you see, the game does something far more important than that, something it won't get credit for, due to the lens everybody will be peering through.

ZombiU brings real survival horror back to home consoles, and that's what we should really be talking about.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#2 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

HELL YEAH, survival horror for the WIN!

#3 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

ZombiU is getting very mixed reviews. Seems like the kind of game you need to judge for yourself.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#4 ianh05

ianh05

Blooper

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

ZombiU is getting very mixed reviews. Seems like the kind of game you need to judge for yourself.

If you know what it is meant to be you won't be let down, if you expect a run and gun action-packed shooter you shouldn't buy the game. It's nowhere near perfect with melee combat lacking animations and combos but it is a solid survival horror game.

Edited by ianh05, 18 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." - Shigeru Miyamoto

#5 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

I have it . It's has a "old school" feel to it, it's also challenging and you have limited ammo.

Edited by Zinix, 18 November 2012 - 06:09 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#6 ShyGuy

ShyGuy

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

I just got the game and I havent opened it. I'm not sure if I should. I'm a huge fan of zombies so I might just stick with it. I don't really like listening to what other review site say but the fact that ammo is limited is kind of a let down. Although it does seem that it would go against Zombi U's survival tag line. It's trying to really be a survival game and it wouldn't be if ammo was readliy available at all times. I mighr just keep it but I'm not sure yet.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

I just got the game and I havent opened it. I'm not sure if I should. I'm a huge fan of zombies so I might just stick with it. I don't really like listening to what other review site say but the fact that ammo is limited is kind of a let down. Although it does seem that it would go against Zombi U's survival tag line. It's trying to really be a survival game and it wouldn't be if ammo was readliy available at all times. I mighr just keep it but I'm not sure yet.

Eh. I never identified with any of the games having limited ammo as a talking point a tually having limited ammo.

I always had ammo in re 1-3, I always had ammo in silent hills, I always had ammo in call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth.

And from what ive played, and watched, i dont see a particular lack of ammo here, unless you do it to yourself. Particularly when other peoples zombies start imvading your game (which couldnt happen in reviews).

I typically had enough pistol and rifle ammo to get me through an oh crap I just mussed up and attracted zombis moment. Then again, in any game I play, i dont waste ammo. Wasting tons of shots trying poorly to hit a lurching zombi head will probably put you low on ammo. As will using your own ammo when there are actually multiple ways to go about eliminating zombis.

For example, there are abandoned machine gun positions throughout some levels, but often no zombis to shoot, you can go through the huge level layout wasting ammo shooting them one by one or two by two, or spend an eternity cricket battingvthem to death in every nook and cranny they hide in, or you can run around making tons of noise, pissing them off, attract a whole horde, like the pied piper of zombis and run back to the machine gun for a chicken shoot.

Or you can use your scanner to find which zombis have loot and try to engage only them, and avoid the others. The game provides tons of options to solve the zombi problem.

The only reason i can think of that these low scoring journalists didnt even mention so much stuff is because they are so conditioned from playing the heavily scripted and controlled AAA games of this gen, that theyve become stupified to figuring out systemic gameplay. They didnt know it could be done, hence yahoo telling people you had no other choice but cricket batting every zombi.

Screw that, I had a dozen of the suckers following me, I chucked the flare down the street and ducked into an alley. The zombie mob went right past me. The flare rolled into a fire, the zombis went right in after it. 11 zombis killed. Ammo used 0. Time spent cricket batting 0 minutes 0 seconds.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I have it . It's has a "old school" feel to it, it's also challenging and you have limited ammo.

It's funny to me how some folks are turned off by this. I don't wanna namecall like 'you stupidd noobz' or anything, but that old school feel to it is so refreshing to me. Less of a mass manufactured feeling to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!