56 replies to this topic

#1 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

POPULAR

"So, let me preface this by explaining that I feel the developers are completely misunderstanding the Wii U. As with any new generation of consoles, there are bound to be some kinks the developers don’t yet understand with the new hardware. Out the gate, lets tackle the main complaint. The “slow” CPU. You see, the clock speed of the CPU is slow. In fact, it’s intentionally slow. It’s true that the CPU of the Wii U is a Power-Based custom IBM processor. For those wondering, it’s not a Power 7 based. Essentially, it means it’s built upon the same technology as the Wii. That’s on purpose mind you.
The the CPU is more than just the Wii’s version times three. For starters, it uses a newer technology from IBM called 45nm SOI process. This is a massive improvement over the 90nm SOI process the Wii version had. Essentially, this makes the processor “overclock” at higher end speeds while reducing power consumption. Essentially, it makes the Wii U’s processor run even faster than it’s clock speeds with higher efficiency and lower power output. Of course, that’s only going to make the processor run just a bit better, so it still is fundamentally slow. However, the CPU uses a significant amount of eDRAM. What this allows the Wii U to do, essentially, is move more data at once compared to the Wii processor times three. You can store more data in the eDRAM and as such, move more at once as well. So, the processor is slower, but similar to the Power 7 tech, it moves more data at once at that slower rate than the standard processor at such rates.
Again though, the CPU is not Power 7 based, so it only increases the performance level by a certain amount. Certainly though, the performance increase does fundamentally make it have a higher efficiency than whats in the current gaming consoles. It just wont win any awards in the next generation. However, thanks in large part to the super beefy GPU (by console standards), the Wii U doesn’t need a beefy processor. The GPU is based on a Radeon HD 5670. As the console break down shows, thanks to even more eDRAM, the Wii U version of the Radeon HD 5670 that has been custom built is actually more powerful than the original PC version of the card. This is extremely vital, because the HD 5670 is in fact a GPGPU.
A GPGPU are quickly become standard in gaming rig PCs for a few reasons, but chief among them is the fact that GPGPU’s actually handle several functions that the CPU traditionally does, except it does them better. In layman’s terms, some of the most CPU (processor) heavy applications like Physics are actually handled by the Graphics Card (GPU). This means, in a Wii U, while the CPU can handle these tasks, the console is actually built around the notion that the GPU will tackle said tasks.
The downfall of the GPGPU is that if it’s not being used in the fashion it’s intended to, which means taking on heavy graphical processing and extreme mathematical equations to perform in the game (aka, if you’re not heavily using the GPU and it’s processing), it actually performs slower. So if you run the bare bones through it, throw everything else at the processor, it not only over strains a processor not meant to handle such functions, it actually causes the GPU to under-perform, and as such… create problems. This is chiefly why games like Mass Effect 3 are having issues, and why Batman Arkahm City Armored Edition are having massive frame rate issues.
In essence, it’s not that the Wii U is underpowered. Rather, it’s the the Wii U uses more advanced technology that actually takes away the stress normally associated with a CPU, and in turn lowers power consumption, heat level, and ultimately leads to producing some of the best graphical capabilities on the market. Essentially, with everything customly aimed towards gaming, the Wii U is like a middle of the road gaming PC. A middle of the row gaming rig absolutely destroys the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Now, this doesn’t mean everything is peachy. Unless the PS4 and the 720 are being silly, both should also feature GPGPU’s like the Wii U, and will both likely have better processors than the Wii U. So, the Wii U will be behind, but it’s unlikely the PS4 and 720 will feature GPU’s that are any beefier than the Wii U. In fact, since they may have better processors (or, should based on normal conventions), it’s conceivable the other consoles in turn have less powerful GPGPU’s since the processor can help maintain some of what is lost.
I know, it’s a lot of technical jargin, but armed with this information you can see that the Wii U is actually going to hold it’s own quite nicely. It just requires people, like the DICE dev, to fundamentally change the way in which they make games take advantage of the hardware. Similar issues arose with the PS3 and it’s CPU back in the day, and now the issue rises up with the Wii U and it’s GPU.
In the future, developers would be wise to truly take hold of the beefy GPGPU in the Wii U and push it as hard as they can. With all the extra eDRAM running around, and all the processing power the GPU has to handle such aspects like Physics, it’s no wonder current generation games are struggling. Current generation (or last generation for us Wii U owners) are extremely CPU based games. Heavily reliant on the CPU pushing through. In the next generation, this is going to change significantly. The Wii U is already there. It’s just going to take time for console developers to get into the mindset to take advantage of the GPGPU featured in the Wii U, just like what will happen in the other next generation consoles.
In layman’s terms: The Wii U is a sexy, misunderstood, true next generation gaming system that requires developers to change the way in which they program their games in order to get significantly better looking, and better performing, games than what are currently out there. Any concerns over a slow processor are completely negated by the fact the Graphics Card on the Wii U can actually handle some of the larger processes, like physics, usually reserved for the processor.
The Wii U is going to be just fine folks. While it wont be as powerful as the PS4 or 720, that beefy GPGPU is going to ensure the Wii U can stay up with the new systems that are coming. Naturally, the biggest reason to go against console convention and use a GPGPU like the Wii U does is costs. GPU’s are just a lot cheaper, and when you start to be able to toss the larger processes at them like Physics, it pretty much increases the efficiency of the entire console 10 fold. The Wii U is doing something that the PS3 and 360 can only dream of doing presently. Truly, they have to catch up, as do the developers, because the way the hardware processes games is changing, and the Wii U is perfectly set up for that shift."

Source: http://www.zeldainfo...-generation-pow

I'm starting to like these articles, haters are gonna hate but this just might shut a few up, hopefully! Thoughts?

Edited by UnchainedGoku, 23 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#2 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Too lazy to read one sentence. :l
Time to watch TV.

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

POPULAR

Wow. This dude spends however much time typing this up, and all he gets is "TOO LONG DIDN"T READ" posts. Shameful. Just shameful.

I actually took the entire 5 minutes needed to read what he had to say, and it was very well said. Explained why things were the way they are and why it's better, and made it possible for the less tech-savvy (meaning me) people to understand it.

I tip my hat to the writer of these words.

Posted Image

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

POPULAR

Come on that took only took me about two minutes to read. Lazy lazy people, it's a good article that people should read.

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wow. This dude spends however much time typing this up, and all he gets is "TOO LONG DIDN"T READ" posts. Shameful. Just shameful.

I actually took the entire 5 minutes needed to read what he had to say, and it was very well said. Explained why things were the way they are and why it's better, and made it possible for the less tech-savvy (meaning me) people to understand it.

I tip my hat to the writer of these words.

Posted Image

I didn't write it I quoted it but still thank you very much, people needed to see this, if you can't be bothered to read don't post, oh and yeah, helped me understand things too :D

Edited by UnchainedGoku, 23 November 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#6 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

POPULAR

I personally have hope for the WiiU, even if I am not getting it for a while. I've read an article that already explains the Wii's potential and the RAM stuff.

Too lazy to read one sentence. :l
Time to watch TV.

wayyyyy too long

For the sake of having an argument because everyones just gonna say "woo wii u was hand crafted by Jesus"

I shall say false, the Wii U is 7.5 gen

Really, now? You two are almost borderline spamming. Why post at all if you can't read it?

#7 Dan1984uk

Dan1984uk

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Good article, I believe the Wii U will take a while to get going properly I mean did you see how poor some of the graphics was on the PS3 when it first came out now look at them the Uncharted series, Killzone games all look fantastic. Give it a year or so and we will see some great games using a lot more potential of the console.

#8 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

While were on this topic does anyone have a clue on what the difference in quality will be in the rumor is true that the PS4/Nextbox has 4gb ram?
Ram is fairly cheap so it does seem very legit.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

While were on this topic does anyone have a clue on what the difference in quality will be in the rumor is true that the PS4/Nextbox has 4gb ram?

Some people seem to recon at most the PS4 NextBox will be 20% more powerful than the Wii U, Not really that bad at all if you think about it.

#10 Dan1984uk

Dan1984uk

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Yeah ok whatever, good job joining a forum for a "useless" gaming console, seriously havn't people like you got better things to do, seriously the internet has gone to the dogs these last few years uuuurrrrgggggg!!!

In 1 - 2 years time Wii U will be epic, it's £360 well spent, I can't wait for the many hours of gaming FUN!!

I know I cant wait, also with this being my first Nintendo console makes it even better.

#11 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Well there are two problems with this article. 1. It's from a site that is KNOWN for giving outrageous and false information that can be proven false. 2 its from a writer no one knows... who is this guy and why should we take his word for it?. i want to believe every word of this as it has been discussed before and sounds spot on. i feel in light of all the negativity sorounding Wii U and its specs (CPU mainly).... Nintendo should get off their high horse boxed in mentality and release the specs or a valid statement. ensuring those that just spent 300-350 dollars on the console its not going to be obsolete and cant run engines that will be the norm from 2013-2018.

Edited by GAMER1984, 23 November 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#12 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I heard it was supposed to be 8 gb, but that seems a bit far fetched

Really, now? You two are almost borderline spamming. Why post at all if you can't read it?

Spamming is frowned upon here??? couldnt tell...

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 23 November 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#13 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

The problem is that the GPGPU will probably be used like it said. It will create more objects and physics, like extra pieces of glass shattering, but the performance will actually be slower because more objects are drawn.

#14 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Ahh i been saying this stuff for a while now.
The better devs get at coding for the wii u , the better the games will come out.
And they said they base the chip off of the wii because it makes it easier to run wii games with the emu.
But this time next yr there will be some great games out. Once the.devs have had the time to learn the ins and outs of the wii u.

And fiy zombiu looks great ands plays great. Was build from the ground up n not ported over.

The better devs get at coding for the wii u , the better the games will come out.
And they said they base the chip off of the wii because it makes it easier to run wii games with the emu.
But this time next yr there will be some great games out. Once the.devs have had the time to learn the ins and outs of the wii u.

And fiy zombiu looks great ands plays great. Was build from the ground up n not ported over.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#15 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Well there are two problems with this article. 1. It's from a site that is KNOWN for giving outrageous and false information that can be proven false. 2 its from a writer no one knows... who is this guy and why should we take his word for it?. i want to believe every word of this as it has been discussed before and sounds spot on. i feel in light of all the negativity sorounding Wii U and its specs (CPU mainly).... Nintendo should get off their high horse boxed in mentality and release the specs or a valid statement. ensuring those that just spent 300-350 dollars on the console its not going to be obsolete and cant run engines that will be the norm from 2013-2018.

That is a fair opinion and I respect it, thankyou for bieng polite :)

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

That is a fair opinion and I respect it, thankyou for bieng polite :)

well we are family (gamers unite) so i respect the post. i just feel like nintendo shouldn't sit by while there are developers dissing and putting down their console.

Zombi U wasnt built from the ground up. it was originally built for PS360 game. so yeah maybe IF there is a zombi U sequel it will be running on a new engine built for Wii U or next gen consoles.

Edited by GAMER1984, 24 November 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

well we are family (gamers unite) so i respect the post. i just feel like nintendo shouldn't sit by while there are developers dissing and putting down their console.

I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling that the next 2 weeks are going to be a little bit awkward, somethings going to happen I just know it, either way I hope it's something good not bad, I'm really exited for the Wii U.

Edited by UnchainedGoku, 24 November 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#18 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling that the next 2 weeks are going to be a little bit awkward, somethings going to happen I just know it, either way I hope it's something good not bad, I'm really exited for the Wii U.

what do you mean... from nintendo? a reveal trailer?

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

what do you mean... from nintendo? a reveal trailer?

I can't quite place my finger on it I just know it's gonna be good or bad, I'm hoping good lol, I get these feelings quite a lot. Oh and yeah I know what you mean, I know it's never about the specs with Nintendo, but for the sake of the Hardcore market and th Wii U itself they need to speak up soon. It won't affect my desicion however but people deserve to know what it is exactly they paid for.

#20 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

people deserve to know what it is exactly they paid for.

Can I like this comment 1000 times?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!