• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Mitchjg216

Mitchjg216

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Interesting. I don't know much on the side of technology, but this article is a little reassuring. It will be a while until we find out if it's right or not.

#42 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

The 5670 uses 40 nm.

http://www.amd.com/u...overview.aspx#2

And where did you get this from?
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#43 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Specs is all people are caring about. That's like people only caring about the ingredients in foods. Just play or eat it or not. I'm done with this internet nonsense. Well back to my Wii U. I'll just play my games which I'm not looking at specs. This isn't the Matrix. You are not looking at coding; you looking at the game.

Edited by Tre, 24 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#44 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Why are we buying the Wii U? Are we that concerned with its technical specs that it's a dealbreaker? You can build a PC system that blows the Wii U/PS4/Durango out the water using a $100 CPU and $150 GPU.

Let's cut to the chase, the reason why we buy the Wii U is for the gameplay experience. As I stated in another thread, we will most likely never play Zelda or Mario on another system. Then there's the experience; there aren't many local multiplayer games for the PC either.

I'm buying the Wii U for the above reasons and because of my self-admitted Nintendo fanboyism. Besides my family and friends, the best memories of my childhood has been provided by Nintendo. To that end, I want them to win back the hardcore crowd. To HELL with Microsoft and Sony.

Is everything perfect? Heck no. System freezes, a bizarre policy concerning NN ID's, some missing features, etc have dampened the excitement for some. However, I think Nintendo will fix these issues and the result will be a very very powerful console; not from a technical perspective, but from an experience perspective. Nintendo is the first company to combine online, gaming, social network, and TV/Movie experience in one consumer friendly package.

In terms of a gaming console, the PS4 and Durango will no doubt be powerful consoles, but let me ask you a question: When you look back at epic games like Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda and Mario .. was it the graphics that made you fall in love with the games? or was it the experience?

Lastly, Microsoft and Sony can fight it out over the graphics arms war. Meanwhile, I look forward to developers finding more clever ways to use the Gamepad. It is a gamechanger; and much like the analog stick, rumble pack, and wave bird, the competition will copy it. Then, it will be heralded as the best thing since sliced bread with no credit going to Nintendo.

Some things just don't change ....

#45 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Specs is all people are caring about. That's like people only caring about the ingredients in foods. Just play or eat it or not. I'm done with this internet nonsense. Well back to my Wii U. I'll just play my games which I'm not looking at specs. This isn't the Matrix. You are not looking at coding; you looking at the game.

You might have a point if this was the wii u games forum...

But this is the wii u hardware forum, the dedicated subject for this board IS the specs, not the games, so its not the place to complain about focusing on them in here.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#46 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Why are we buying the Wii U? Are we that concerned with its technical specs that it's a dealbreaker? You can build a PC system that blows the Wii U/PS4/Durango out the water using a $100 CPU and $150 GPU.

Let's cut to the chase, the reason why we buy the Wii U is for the gameplay experience. As I stated in another thread, we will most likely never play Zelda or Mario on another system. Then there's the experience; there aren't many local multiplayer games for the PC either.

I'm buying the Wii U for the above reasons and because of my self-admitted Nintendo fanboyism. Besides my family and friends, the best memories of my childhood has been provided by Nintendo. To that end, I want them to win back the hardcore crowd. To HELL with Microsoft and Sony.

Is everything perfect? Heck no. System freezes, a bizarre policy concerning NN ID's, some missing features, etc have dampened the excitement for some. However, I think Nintendo will fix these issues and the result will be a very very powerful console; not from a technical perspective, but from an experience perspective. Nintendo is the first company to combine online, gaming, social network, and TV/Movie experience in one consumer friendly package.

In terms of a gaming console, the PS4 and Durango will no doubt be powerful consoles, but let me ask you a question: When you look back at epic games like Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda and Mario .. was it the graphics that made you fall in love with the games? or was it the experience?

Lastly, Microsoft and Sony can fight it out over the graphics arms war. Meanwhile, I look forward to developers finding more clever ways to use the Gamepad. It is a gamechanger; and much like the analog stick, rumble pack, and wave bird, the competition will copy it. Then, it will be heralded as the best thing since sliced bread with no credit going to Nintendo.

Some things just don't change ....

Better specs can lead to longevity and better 3rd party support. That's why I care about specs. I only want the Wii U to be good enough to compete, otherwise I couldn't care less as it's an amazing console.

Posted Image

#47 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

You might have a point if this was the wii u games forum...

But this is the wii u hardware forum, the dedicated subject for this board IS the specs, not the games, so its not the place to complain about focusing on them in here.

Good fair point... It is still unknown the specs so anything someone is saying is speculation and opinion. There is nothing confirmed even though it is out so it is all false reports.

#48 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

This makes a lot of sense actually. I still think the technology behind the Wii U is the same technology behind the POWER7. IBM said so themselves. And where did they get the info about the GPU?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

This makes a lot of sense actually. I still think the technology behind the Wii U is the same technology behind the POWER7. IBM said so themselves. And where did they get the info about the GPU?

Probably techfixations tear down of the wii u, where they made some fairly logical speculation that if you took a 104 mm square 5760, and added about 32Mb of edram to it, the size of the two dies combined would be very very close tot he wii u's gpu's 156 mm squared, so it would probably have performance somewhere in the ballpark of that.

http://www.thetechfi...701270469153035

Zelda informer, being the horrible garbage site they are, then started saying its a fact it has a 5670.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Probably techfixations tear down of the wii u, where they made some fairly logical speculation that if you took a 104 mm square 5760, and added about 32Mb of edram to it, the size of the two dies combined would be very very close tot he wii u's gpu's 156 mm squared, so it would probably have performance somewhere in the ballpark of that.

http://www.thetechfi...701270469153035

Zelda informer, being the horrible garbage site they are, then started saying its a fact it has a 5670.

Yeah i am still not convinced. But even if it is true - it is still a good GPU.

#51 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Yeah i am still not convinced. But even if it is true - it is still a good GPU.

You shouldnt be convinced, it was never meant to be a 'confirmation'. Simply an observation.

Wiiu's gpu is 156.21 mm squared as they measured, the 5670 is 104 mm square.

The wii u gpu is large enough to be a 5670 sized gpu with a large chunk of edram on die.

Thats all there was to it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#52 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

You shouldnt be convinced, it was never meant to be a 'confirmation'. Simply an observation.

Wiiu's gpu is 156.21 mm squared as they measured, the 5670 is 104 mm square.

The wii u gpu is large enough to be a 5670 sized gpu with a large chunk of edram on die.

Thats all there was to it.

I think it is a Northern Islands, or AMD HD 6xxx. Mainly because that is when ATi became AMD. AMD still sell's ATi HD 5xxx ... so why rebrand only the Wii U GPU? But it's possible since it's def a customized GPU that they consider it different. In the end, it's only a name and Nintendo/AMD will put what they need in it. As long as it is JUST power enough to hand next gen that is all that matters.

#53 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

And where did you get this from?

The... official AMD site I posted under my comment... that you quoted from...

#54 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

The... official AMD site I posted under my comment... that you quoted from...

Sorry, misunderstood what you said there. I think I though you said that the Wii U used 40nm... I think :/

Again, sorry man...
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#55 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Sorry, misunderstood what you said there. I think I though you said that the Wii U used 40nm... I think :/

Again, sorry man...

No problem. Haha, I was kinda confused too :P

#56 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I have noticed something that is pretty cool and proves the CPU in the Wii U is not weak.

Yes the Wii U can stream a second simultaneous image with zero lag to the GamePad but the Operating System, MiiVerse and Web Browser must be using a good amount of CPU power.

It is impressive because out of all consoles the Wii U has a more demanding Operating system than 360 or PS3, the fact that you can zoom in or out with all the little Mii's on the screen at once, real time messaging that is text or hand written by other users and the very quick Web Browser point to a system with an inspired social network experience that has so much potential.

It is like the Wii U has an advanced web forum right on it's dashboard, not only does the Wii U have a better Home Menu than the other consoles it is using just as much CPU power for it's PS360 ports and a more CPU demanding Operating System.

Edited by Forza Juventus, 26 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#57 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have noticed something that is pretty cool and proves the CPU in the Wii U is not weak.

Yes the Wii U can stream a second simultaneous image with zero lag to the GamePad but the Operating System, MiiVerse and Web Browser must be using a good amount of CPU power.

It is impressive because out of all consoles the Wii U has a more demanding Operating system than 360 or PS3, the fact that you can zoom in or out with all the little Mii's on the screen at once, real time messaging that is text or hand written by other users and the very quick Web Browser point to a system with an inspired social network experience that has so much potential.

It is like the Wii U has an advanced web forum right on it's dashboard, not only does the Wii U have a better Home Menu than the other consoles it is using just as much CPU power for it's PS360 ports and a more CPU demanding Operating System.

According to several confirmed devs (They are registered by the neogaf staff as developers) Those operations are handled by a seperate small ARM co-processor, and that burden is taken away from the cpu just like the dedicated audio dsp takes the audio burden away from the cpu (Well, if devs USE it, so far no ps360 port uses the audio dsp, instead forcing the wii u cpu to emulate 360 sound code, which typically used an entire thread or even core to itself on the 360).

Come to think of it, ineffeciently, or failing at; pulling a sleeping co processor out of idle cycling could likely be the cause of standby hangups and freezing so many are experiencing.

Edited by 3Dude, 26 November 2012 - 04:01 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!