Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I exercise to keep fit and healthy but I don't spend hours at the gym lifting weights to get giant muscles because thats a bit sad and I have better things to do.

#42 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

I exercise to keep fit and healthy but I don't spend hours at the gym lifting weights to get giant muscles because thats a bit sad and I have better things to do.

Yeah if people are doing the constant going to the gym, they are trying to lose weight fast, I normally just do it at my own pace, some days i work out some days i don't.

#43 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

How do you, "Increase your calories".... Sorry, i'm not good at this stuff

everyone has a set number of calories they need to consume in order to live. so for a example a person would need 2000 calories in a day in order to perform normal daily activities.  Say said person wanted to loss weight they would reduce the amount they eat to 1500. but if a person wanted to gain weight they would increase the amount they consume. especially if you are trying to gain muscle mass. in some cases if you reach a plateau you would need to increase the number of calories you eat because you aren't getting enough building material to create new muscle fibers. or other times your body becomes accustomed to the same exercises and thats why you should change your work out every once in awhile.    

#44 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

everyone has a set number of calories they need to consume in order to live. so for a example a person would need 2000 calories in a day in order to perform normal daily activities.  Say said person wanted to loss weight they would reduce the amount they eat to 1500. but if a person wanted to gain weight they would increase the amount they consume. especially if you are trying to gain muscle mass. in some cases if you reach a plateau you would need to increase the number of calories you eat because you aren't getting enough building material to create new muscle fibers. or other times your body becomes accustomed to the same exercises and thats why you should change your work out every once in awhile.    

Ah i see, well i have no clue how many calories i consume a day..

#45 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don't understand you. Building muscle doesn't take hours, it usually takes half an hour to an hour. Lifting weights to get stronger is staying fit and wanting to be healthy.

Your logic makes no sense.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#46 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

I don't excersise as much as I'd like.  I go out and do sports with my friends and I do a few push ups here and there.  I'm going to start hitting the gym more thou.

Edited by JoshZebra, 02 May 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#47 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

I don't understand you. Building muscle doesn't take hours, it usually takes half an hour to an hour. Lifting weights to get stronger is staying fit and wanting to be healthy.

Your logic makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense.

There is a difference between wanting to be fit and healthy and having an obsession with your personal appearance.

There are loads of people who spend all their free time lifting weights at the gym because they want big muscles and then they brag about how much they can lift and how amazing they are. Being so vain and obsessive about your looks is just sad and pathetic.

#48 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

Being so vain and obsessive about your looks is just sad and pathetic.

I'm vain and obsessive with my looks and I dont even lift :D

#SexyMitch

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 03 May 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#49 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

It makes perfect sense.

There is a difference between wanting to be fit and healthy and having an obsession with your personal appearance.

There are loads of people who spend all their free time lifting weights at the gym because they want big muscles and then they brag about how much they can lift and how amazing they are. Being so vain and obsessive about your looks is just sad and pathetic.

Of course obviously, I'm one of those people. You seem to be confused, usually those type of people are "assholes". There isn't anything wrong with wanting to look good, everybody does. You make it seem like lifting weights is wrong, which it isn't. You seem to have a misunderstanding that this is true, which isn't the case.

Edited by Zinix, 03 May 2013 - 03:17 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#50 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Of course obviously, I'm one of those people. You seem to be confused, usually those type of people are "assholes". There isn't anything wrong with wanting to look good, everybody does. You make it seem like lifting weights is wrong, which it isn't. You seem to have a misunderstanding that this is true, which isn't the case.

I wasn't just talking about the "softshell lizard" sort of people, I was just talking about vanity in general and how I personally think caring that much about what other people think is a bit sad and pathetic. I was talking about those who are obsessed with looking "good" and who do this by going to the gym and work out constantly (weightlifting was really just an example as it is the most common thing for guys to do). Maybe you are one of those people, maybe not, I don't know and I don't care if you are because it's entirely up to you. 

Just my personal views.

Edited by Hunter, 03 May 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#51 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I wasn't just talking about the "softshell lizard" sort of people, I was just talking about vanity in general and how I personally think caring that much about what other people think is a bit sad and pathetic. I was talking about those who are obsessed with looking "good" and who do this by going to the gym and work out constantly (weightlifting was really just an example as it is the most common thing for guys to do). Maybe you are one of those people, maybe not, I don't know and I don't care if you are because it's entirely up to you. 

Just my personal views.

Yeah it is vain to them people who work out to 'see who can lift the most' but having an obsession with working out isn't vain in its self.

#52 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Yeah it is vain to them people who work out to 'see who can lift the most' but having an obsession with working out isn't vain in its self.

No it's not, its the obsession with one's appearance that is vain.

#53 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

I understand where Hunter is coming from and pretty much agree with his point.

The only thing that has changed since my past post is that I have increased the amount of time I do cardio and its "difficulty".  The only reason I do exercise is really to stay fit, burn calories, and increase my endurance.  I personally see myself getting more use out of being able to walk and run more often and for longer periods of time.

#54 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Fitness? This thread is going to make me feel bad about my habits....

My "exercise" is pretty much just walking, with some random running if I'm short on time. About 12 kilometers daily, plus a 30 minute jogging for the dog...
I don't really think I need any more exercise, as this is enough to keep me healthy.

Well, there's also finger exercises, but I don't quite think those are the kind of exercises this thread is asking about.

As for diet... we tend to switch between meat, fish and chicken. Mostly fish, though, as we live right besides the sea. Weekend fishing rocks.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#55 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

I do exercice.

I'm on a fencing team. Fencing is one of those sports that doesn't require you to be fit to play, but that requires you to if you want to be good. (Although it actually is a huge exercice for legs. My legs are as big as speed skaters', just fyi).

To improve my ranking, I started running, which is the best way to be fit. I used to run a mile (1600m) in 8:30 minutes, last year, which is pretty bad. I trained since then and now I can do it in 6:30, which is enough for me to be considered a good runner. Almost achieved my six pack, but i admit my pecs and arms are not develloped at all, and I mean, AT ALL. This is the next step.

Damn do I sound like a douche, but it's almost impossible not to when talking about fitness... or is it??

Posted Image

#56 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I thought I should share this:

http://www.sugarstac...m/beverages.htm

I just spent the last two and half hours doing yoga with one my girl friends, and my body is destroyed....

Anyone else does yoga? 

#57 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

I thought I should share this:

http://www.sugarstac...m/beverages.htm

I just spent the last two and half hours doing yoga with one my girl friends, and my body is destroyed....

Anyone else does yoga? 

I do some times, not recently though.  I've been trying to find a good beginners routine, its actually a very good work out and it can be very relaxing too. lol @ the soda... people and their Beetus 

#58 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Empty calories and empty carbs.

I had to result to drinking it a few weeks ago, didn't have anything else, I felt awful afterwards. 

#59 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Okay guys, I need your help. I'm 5'10" or 5'11 and 185 pounds. These past several years I've become non-active and have gained a substantial amount of weight. I desperately need to lose weight, more so than I care about gaining muscle mass. Just yesterday morning I have started the beginning of my journey to become healthy again. I know it's not much but it's a start for me; I rode my bike around my whole small town for 15 min, then I got home and did 50 crunches and 20 pushups. I was going to go on a run last night but something came up. Today I really couldn't exercise because I was sore, which you guys might think that's newbish but considering my body, it wasn't used to it. But tomorrow, I will replace biking for 15 min for running. And then also the crunches and pushups afterwards. I don't know if this is enough for me to lose weight but it's better than nothing I guess. If you guys could provide some input on what I should do that would be great. :)

#60 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Okay guys, I need your help. I'm 5'10" or 5'11 and 185 pounds. These past several years I've become non-active and have gained a substantial amount of weight. I desperately need to lose weight, more so than I care about gaining muscle mass. Just yesterday morning I have started the beginning of my journey to become healthy again. I know it's not much but it's a start for me; I rode my bike around my whole small town for 15 min, then I got home and did 50 crunches and 20 pushups. I was going to go on a run last night but something came up. Today I really couldn't exercise because I was sore, which you guys might think that's newbish but considering my body, it wasn't used to it. But tomorrow, I will replace biking for 15 min for running. And then also the crunches and pushups afterwards. I don't know if this is enough for me to lose weight but it's better than nothing I guess. If you guys could provide some input on what I should do that would be great. :)

I'm gonna reply assuming you know nothing about dieting, just to make sure I cover everything. :D

Well, first off I suppose you should think about why you gained weight. Is it only inactivity or is your diet a little heavy on the calories? Even if your diet is balanced, you should probably still cut down on calories just to quicken your weight loss. Especially to even out those sore days where you let your body rest after working out.

The easiest way to cut down on calories is to cut out liquid calories. So, basically stick to water and tea. I like to use stevia to sweeten it as it's "natural" and 0 calories. If you're not too fond of tea, you can try herbal teas, or teas mixed with other flavors. Herbal teas can be a decent substitute for juice if you ice it, as they come in a lot of fruity flavors such as cherry and mixed berry. If you like sweets, you should look up some relatively healthy treats so you know what to grab when you get really bad cravings. To start with, fruit is a good substitute. Toast with jelly and a little cream cheese will help with pastry cravings in particular. :P

Next, you should eat at least three meals a day, and you should never skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast makes you save calories instead of burning them, so make sure you eat something with at least some amount of carbs and protein in the morning to keep full and resist snacks.

Make sure you stick to whole grains, it keeps your belly feeling full longer, regardless of if it's healthier than white or not.

Protein-wise, try to lean more towards poultry, seafood, and other lean meats such as bison. Bison is a delicious substitute for beef!

In the end, even if you don't take any of the other advice, just count your calories, even if you're not exact with it. You don't need to bother with low carb diets or anything crazy, just stick to the simple science of the more calories you consume, the more you're going to have to burn off. Male adults usually need around 2,000 daily, so try to keep under that. Remember to take into consideration the calories you burn by working out also. You don't need to eat less than 2,000 if you know you're going to burn 500 exercising.

Exercise wise... I'm not too knowledgable on that end, I stick to simple things like walking or running, but you should consider trying some simple yoga exercises to mix it up a little and do on the days you're too tired to do much else. Try to do at least 30 minutes several times a week, preferably around 6 days. Also, Wii Fit isn't such a gimmick. I'm not saying to go out and buy it, but if you have fun exercising you're more likely to do it. Most people listen to music but I like to watch shows while exercising, especially because it provides a good way to time your workout sessions.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!