• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#61 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yes, I know, but I was just saying the converting in theory is not the exact same as a religion. Being as your not converting on party from one religion to another in a form of belief. I will say I may have not conveyed what I was proclaiming very clear, but still. (shrugs Edit: I sort of was going from the Mitch guy to him and possibly reading it wrongly. Yet some people think to believe in nothing is a religious belief itself as if it required some kind of practice. Which is absurd).

Really? Atheist can be assholes? No, I never would have guessed. Again not the point of what I was saying. He was stating atheist up front and I just was adding that it was not just atheist that can be anti-theist. Everyone can be anti-theist to dispute others & belittle a non-belief. How is that not understandable? (Kind of confused why your emphasizing on this is all. Also, how it reads may sound badgering I suppose. Yet it was intended in a sort of sarcastic way).

To understand where I was coming from when I stated what I did: The comment you were commenting on specifically spoke about Atheist (considering the specific mention of a belief in a deity) and therefore addressed you accordingly... Hope this clears my comment up?

#62 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Is it even possible for someone to truly be an atheist?

It seems like everyone who says they are an atheist would be more correct as labeling themselves agnostic

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 12 December 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#63 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm fine with atheists as long as they don't bash religions by asking for monuments with any signs of religion in it.
Spoiler

by chance

#64 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

It seems like everyone who says they are an atheist would be more correct as labeling themselves agnostic

I would like agree with you, yet it gets complicated. It is impossible to be a gnostic atheist or gnostic theist even the open spoken atheist Richard Dawkins admitted he wasn't 100% gnostic atheist.
I would like to state that everyone is agnostic, as it is a stance on knowledge, and it is impossible for anyone to claim to have some truth beyond them. But there are those bold enough to make the statement they are not agnostic, without true knowledge.

#65 Chaotix

Chaotix

Team Nerd

• Section Mods
  • 728 posts
  • NNID:Chaot1x
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well i guess I'll go on the record and say that i'm a atheist and going on 5 years. I was a catholic when I was little until I got in a feud with my parents over regilion that forced me to be atheist.

eEG8Ies.png

#66 Dan

Dan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'm fine with atheists as long as they don't bash religions by asking for monuments with any signs of religion in it.

Spoiler

are you talking about government monuments and property? if so, i'm curious as to your reasoning why asking for no signs of religion on government property is 'bashing.'

#67 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

How is it impossible when I have met people who do follow religion and yet have respect for others. A book doesn't speak for your religion and neither does a church. The concept of a true believer is impossible and is typically not used by the person themselves. The concept of a true believer is either used by someone who is essentially inane enough to make that statement or used by another person/3rd party to describe a person.
I am an atheist, but I am also a subjectivist, so I cannot comprehend why you refer to true followers when it is impossible. There can be no true followers because of the age, translations, chruch, different people, etc...

Yes people are subjective, yada yada. Though, if people are true believers of the bibles words to follow said guidance how can one respect one another? If your being subjugated because of a book, how can being open-minded make us all sha rainbows and dance around happy? It all contradicts one another and there will never be a solid ground of respect. Even with a grin on your face in the back of your mind you're still going to be thinking just what you believe in. Sort of like a homophobic person just trying to get along with a gay person. (Which God is against & tons of Christians dislike by the way. Not Adam and Steve it is Adam and Eve). They dislike them because of a belief and see it as morally wrong to really never respect them even if the follower flash a smile and moves on with their lives. Not many religious people are going to break their rules to flat out accept you, all for the sake of not going to a horrible after life. They will still believe it and just be closet disliking you in the long run. How is this possible to just fix conflicts of beliefs with being all happy faced up when it is sort of conditioned to be disrespectful towards a said group? Truly and utterly impossible. Listening and not attacking someone and taking all that in does not change the ideals one holds to be true. Only way anyone is truly to get along is if everyone and everything is dead. (You can say it is a mix or morals too, but blah).

To understand where I was coming from when I stated what I did: The comment you were commenting on specifically spoke about Atheist (considering the specific mention of a belief in a deity) and therefore addressed you accordingly... Hope this clears my comment up?

The comment I was commenting on while commenting about your comment. :laugh: All I was saying really was based of some of the views people have been posting is aimed in a since as if atheism was a religion & was only stating not just atheist could be anti-theist in terms of where you aim your bullets per se. We are all atheist in a way to, be it you follow one type of god while not viewing the others as true. Then yes I could be included in this said group if I wanted to be on the opposition of you. (Yes, some views or opinions could be viewed as such I guess, but I am not one to go on the rebellion as if you're harmful so their for I am not an anti-theist atheist and only an atheist. (On that note what do you think all these Christians trying to suppress Muslims are, as their so called beliefs are considered harmful to some Christians). http://atheism.about.../AntiTheism.htm

(Alrighty then it is taking me forever to even type this stuff out. I have no sleep at all today and earlier today was moving big air-compressors and sha around. Insomnia and working is fun! If I read anything incorrect or whatever based off sort of projection of what another person has said or just out of tired crap my bad. I know I clipped noted one post even so yeah. Time for me to try get some sleep if possible. Not really a believer in terms of using sleeping pills, but boy would that be nice right about now. XD Good morning, night, or whatever it is my break time from PC).

#68 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

How is this a stupid thread? Just because you can't comprehend some a complex discussion doesn't make it stupid.

Well, I believe when we die it's like when we're sleeping, nothing but external darkness. I respect all religion, I just don't like when it's forced down my throat.

I'm not an atheist, but I believe your statement plus more. I think that happens, but a younger (say 20s) ghost form of yourself goes to heaven where the rest of your dead family is but you can still see your alive family somehow. That's what I believe.

#69 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Spoiler

But don't religious people protest against evolution being taught in the public school system? I believe not wanting religious symbolism/influences in things like monuments is a rather fair request, seeing as how the United States were formed under secular beliefs.

Edited by Jade Curtiss, 12 December 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#70 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm not an atheist, but I believe your statement plus more. I think that happens, but a younger (say 20s) ghost form of yourself goes to heaven where the rest of your dead family is but you can still see your alive family somehow. That's what I believe.

Interesting theory you have there, really fascinating. It's interesting see other peoples views and seeing so many people willing to accept it.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#71 Dark Link

Dark Link

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Or an agnostic atheist?

3DS Friend Code: 4639-8971-0664

NNID: WirelessData

Currently playing: Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Zelda Wind Waker HD

#72 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Well i guess I'll go on the record and say that i'm a atheist and going on 5 years. I was a catholic when I was little until I got in a feud with my parents over regilion that forced me to be atheist.

Hmm. I've noticed a pattern here. Most people have said they discovered they were an atheist when they were younger, really fascinating.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#73 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yes people are subjective, yada yada. Though, if people are true believers of the bibles words to follow said guidance how can one respect one another? If your being subjugated because of a book, how can being open-minded make us all sha rainbows and dance around happy? It all contradicts one another and there will never be a solid ground of respect. Even with a grin on your face in the back of your mind you're still going to be thinking just what you believe in. Sort of like a homophobic person just trying to get along with a gay person. (Which God is against & tons of Christians dislike by the way. Not Adam and Steve it is Adam and Eve). They dislike them because of a belief and see it as morally wrong to really never respect them even if the follower flash a smile and moves on with their lives. Not many religious people are going to break their rules to flat out accept you, all for the sake of not going to a horrible after life. They will still believe it and just be closet disliking you in the long run. How is this possible to just fix conflicts of beliefs with being all happy faced up when it is sort of conditioned to be disrespectful towards a said group? Truly and utterly impossible. Listening and not attacking someone and taking all that in does not change the ideals one holds to be true. Only way anyone is truly to get along is if everyone and everything is dead. (You can say it is a mix or morals too, but blah).

I think we are both close, but still on two separate areas. I get what you mean, and you probably get what I was trying to mean.
In the end, human nature prevents any sort of peace. Humans will always be violent and self destructive. I try to make the point that it isn't religion that causes violence, but I suppose I fail to expand upon that point it is human ideals/greed/corruption.

#74 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

But don't religious people protest against evolution being taught in the public school system? I believe not wanting religious symbolism/influences in things like monuments is a rather fair request, seeing as how the United States were formed under secular beliefs.

This is true. Religious people do protest against the concept of evolution being taught in public school. which is a bit frivolous when you think about it.

#75 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hmm. I've noticed a pattern here. Most people have said they discovered they were an atheist when they were younger, really fascinating.

Indeed. I myself became an atheist at the tender age of 12.

#76 Dan

Dan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Solidified into an atheist just this year at age 17. :<

Really glad I was born into Mormonism though, as it's so easy to disprove than I imagine other mainstream religions are.

#77 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Why would god be nice?

Eh. I'd just hope that a god would be nice to the playthings it created. And we're really just playthings used to fuel a bet between him and Lucifer according to the Christian bibles. :P

In terms of the Garden of Eden it does. Be it that God made man directly from a star dust and then ripped a rib out of Adam to make Eve. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Adam_and_Eve

Um yes, I well know about the creation story. Been in Catholic school most of my life and all. :P
I just... Well. The Bible was never taught literally, so I forget that some people actually believe their god performed some weird surgery on a guy and created a female lol. Although, there's still not too many contradictions, if you believe that through stardust and evolution God created humans. Though the whole thing with the snake annoys me. It's called a snake even when it still has legs. Bah, whatever.
Posted Image

#78 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

Some atheists are down right assholes.
The ones that treat it as a status symbol, and try to convert everyone and belittle those who believe in a deity.

The others are fine people.

Sooooo the YouTube and Reddit communities...?

It is absurd to dismiss the theory of evolution since there is a huge amount of evidence to support it.

Also, something that makes me believe there is no God is the fact that, according to the bible, dinosaurs and Humans must have co existed. When it has been proven that they actually lived millions of years apart

How so? Carbon dating?

Posted Image

#79 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

How so? Carbon dating?

No. Majority of extremely old fossils do not contain any carbon, a different kind of radiometric dating is used. Are you seriously saying that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time?

Besides the radiometric dating which is used (which is very accurate) the size of the fossils alone show that dinosaurs "ruled the earth".

Im not going to go into great detail. Google it.

#80 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

No. Majority of extremely old fossils do not contain any carbon, a different kind of radiometric dating is used. Are you seriously saying that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time?

Besides the radiometric dating which is used (which is very accurate) the size of the fossils alone show that dinosaurs "ruled the earth".

Im not going to go into great detail. Google it.

Don't be such jerk about it. I was only asking if it was carbon dating. Seriously.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!