Photo

How the Wii U will handle against the new Consoles?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

to be honest the gamepad for me is a lot more significant a leap for console gaming than the wii mote ever was,

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#42 rschauby

rschauby

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

to be honest the gamepad for me is a lot more significant a leap for console gaming than the wii mote ever was,

I think for core gamers, you are right. But remember, the Wiimote is what put gaming consoles in your Grandparents house. I doubt the Gamepad will get the Wii U in retirement homes, but I think for core gamers the Gamepad is more revolutionary.

#43 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

true but the problem with those people is they dont buy games like we would theyll buy one maybe a year if that some will be happy enough with wii sports not good long term for nintendo.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

#44 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I disagree it will be the same situation. The Wii is a Gamecube with overclock, and more RAM, the Wii U is new, the GPU is more advanced than the current consoles, the games that is out now, are basically straight ports. I'm not saying it will be at the same level of power of the new ones, but a game made from scratch will be better, but this will appear 1 or 2 years from now. The new Sony and Microsoft consoles, will be more powerful, but to be like the difference of the seventh gen, they will need 12gb of ram, a Cpu and Gpu about ten times or more than Wii U, and i don't know if they will put this level of difference.

Pretty much. We don't know anything about the other consoles, we don't even know the U's full potential. So we can't make assumptions like that.

#45 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

The wii u gpu is 550mhz and is on a 40 or 45Nm process, while a later architecture which may reduce load by 30% over the 360 gpu we don't know if the polygon performance is actually more, the same or less than 360. Some forum posters on neogaf claim it is less. The main advantage seems to be the 32Mb of high speed video memory which is 3x that of the 360 and makes it far easier for the wii u to do 1080p without compromise but then 1080p also requires more cpu power that the wii u doesn't have.

Some wii u games have had inferior graphics and inferior frame rates compared to current gen. Not by much admittedly.

It's pretty clear the wii u is performing at the same level as current gen consoles overall. if the wii u was significantly more powerful then multiformat games would have been superior on it, better graphics, better frame rates but the opposite appears to be true. Realistic expectations are that it performs at the same level approx as current gen models.

There is absolutely no indication at all that it can compete with the next generation of sony and microsoft consoles. It is struggling to compete with the current gen. Ok actually struggling is to strong a term but once developers are more comfortable with wii u we can expect to see games that are going to be current gen standard I guess without compromise where as currently some compromises have been done.

#46 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

can i just congratulate whoever made the slot loading mechanism for the disk drive in the wii u it is the single smoothest disk drive i've ever used.

#47 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

The Gamepad screen for playing on when the TV is being used is so great I think Nintendo should focus it's advertising on that in the new year.

For younger gamers using the family telly and older gamers in a relationship it's such a massive bonus. I've used my Wii U so much more now I'm able to do so without a battle for the telly!!! I'm enjoying playing more knowing that it's not causing a fuss.

#48 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

true but the problem with those people is they dont buy games like we would theyll buy one maybe a year if that some will be happy enough with wii sports not good long term for nintendo.

*looks at sales of wii sports, wii sports resort, brain training, nintendogs, wii fit, wii fit+.... looks at sales of kinect adventures then call of duty- shakes had at reality adverse core gamers*

The money we spend on games doesnt amount to a pimple on the giant hairy butt of what 'casual gamers' spend.

Core gamers spend less money, and mother dog and whine constantly and about everything, and never agree on anything.

we are horrible customers and dont spend as much.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#49 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Nintendo Land is designed to develop the appetites of casual gamers by creating miniature versions of more complex franchises and teaching people the basics.

Enjoyed Metroid Blast? buy Metroid U!!

The Core vs Casual gamer divide is unhelpful and unreflective of the market. It's more complex than that and the post Wii Market is just getting used to that. Any new machine needs to have a wide range of gaming styles to be successful.

#50 Binky_1221

Binky_1221

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

It'll be just like the Wii vs Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii U will have great exclusive and fun innovative ways to play.
The Wii is way underpowered from the Xbox and PS3, but outsold them by alot! The Wii U will be no different I presume, but I wish it came out 6 years ago because it does seem its a little late to the party imo. I don't have any doubt for Nintendo, I have more doubt for Sony...

#51 Adders

Adders

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

who cares, I brought the wii u because I wanted one and not because I thought it will keep up with other consels, if the next ps4 has some good features then fine, I might get one as well, but what ever comes out it has not stopped me from getting my wii u, as long as good games come out for the wii u then there should not be a problem

#52 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

The wii u gpu is 550mhz and is on a 40 or 45Nm process, while a later architecture which may reduce load by 30% over the 360 gpu we don't know if the polygon performance is actually more, the same or less than 360. Some forum posters on neogaf claim it is less. The main advantage seems to be the 32Mb of high speed video memory which is 3x that of the 360 and makes it far easier for the wii u to do 1080p without compromise but then 1080p also requires more cpu power that the wii u doesn't have.

Some wii u games have had inferior graphics and inferior frame rates compared to current gen. Not by much admittedly.

It's pretty clear the wii u is performing at the same level as current gen consoles overall. if the wii u was significantly more powerful then multiformat games would have been superior on it, better graphics, better frame rates but the opposite appears to be true. Realistic expectations are that it performs at the same level approx as current gen models.

There is absolutely no indication at all that it can compete with the next generation of sony and microsoft consoles. It is struggling to compete with the current gen. Ok actually struggling is to strong a term but once developers are more comfortable with wii u we can expect to see games that are going to be current gen standard I guess without compromise where as currently some compromises have been done.

All I'm asking for is for logic to be applied to the situation. Wii U will easily outclass ps360. Seriously there were designed on 2005ish hardware. Now the thing I think people are getting wrong is that people defending the Wii U are saying it gonna be this monster 15x what ps360 is which we aren't. 2xish power plus modern architecture.there is a video on youtube that has the side by side of the Wii version of Modern Warefare 4 rewflex vs the xbox 360 version. Same exact game except the Wii version was FUGLY(outdate GPU architecture) it was just missing all the graphical effects of the xbox 360 version. So I laugh when people try and put down the Wii U CPU without looking at the evidence. If its so underpowered its able to run same games as xbox 360 with less development time on unfinished dev kits. Let's be serious here Wii U should be able to run anything ps4 and 720 run with optimization and a dev that wants it to run. The Wii U will be powerful enough the question is will and dev give a damn about getting the best out the system. In 2010 devs and gamers alike was saying xbox360 was done and couldn't squeeze anything better out of it. Now 2012 we get Halo4 which most have agreed Is one of if not the best looking games this generation. All about optimization and a dev who gives a damn. Also money games like Halo4 the last of us and uncharted cost between 50-100 million to make. But we see smaller dev studios like frozenbyte pull of Trine 2 which is only a fraction of the cost of those game listed. The two best technical standout titles for Wii U are Trine 2 and Nano Assault. Devs that give a damn and have an open engine that hasnt been built from ground up for xbox360.

#53 Amylittlehands

Amylittlehands

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Fandom:
    Harvest Moon

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Such an interesting topic for me to read. I will admit that I'll be getting the WiiU as a cheaper alternative for me to buy but also because I currently own a Wii and enjoy using it as well as I have faith that developers will support it in the near future it's just a risk for them at the moment because of money being invested in developing ways the gamepad can be used rather than straight ports. I have had my doubts about whether it'll still be a good competitor against the PS4/720 but at the moment all I care about is whether a good lineup of games will come out on the WiiU as well as other consoles. I'm not a huge Nintendo game fan in all honesty, Mario has been over done and every time a new game comes out I mentally facepalm. If Nintendo came up with a completely new game that shows of the capability of the WiiU I'd love that. All of this is just my personal opinion btw.
Posted ImageERHMEHGERHD A Tiny cat. All the better to keep in my tiny pocket.

#54 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

I think people need to realise the mindset of Nintendo and remember the situation with the original wii. Also you have to bare in mind that with a gpu there is a feature set and there is performance. The wii u gpu may have additional features over the older 360 and PS3 gpus but it may not necessarily outperform them with regards performance in polygons and texturing.

The wii u is easy to develop for and there are limitations which we do know as fact like the memory having 40% less bandwidth than PS3/360 approx. While we don't know the spec of the gpu or cpu fully we know its memory specification which indicates the performance of the system will be capped to work with that memory. There is little potential for increased performance later on when the memory chips are slower than those fitted to the 360 and PS3. The wii u is a good clean design without the bottlenecking issues of PS3 for example but we know the wii u performance is current gen nothing more.

The wii u should be capable of doing anything the ps3 or 360 can do but sometimes a few compromises may be needed to reduce load on the cpu and in other areas it can see improvements thanks to additional memory and improved gpu feature set. The wii u is competitive with the curren gen models but won't be with the next generation from a performance viewpoint. I honestly think all known evidence supports this.

#55 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

I think people need to realise the mindset of Nintendo and remember the situation with the original wii. Also you have to bare in mind that with a gpu there is a feature set and there is performance. The wii u gpu may have additional features over the older 360 and PS3 gpus but it may not necessarily outperform them with regards performance in polygons and texturing.

The wii u is easy to develop for and there are limitations which we do know as fact like the memory having 40% less bandwidth than PS3/360 approx. While we don't know the spec of the gpu or cpu fully we know its memory specification which indicates the performance of the system will be capped to work with that memory. There is little potential for increased performance later on when the memory chips are slower than those fitted to the 360 and PS3. The wii u is a good clean design without the bottlenecking issues of PS3 for example but we know the wii u performance is current gen nothing more.

The wii u should be capable of doing anything the ps3 or 360 can do but sometimes a few compromises may be needed to reduce load on the cpu and in other areas it can see improvements thanks to additional memory and improved gpu feature set. The wii u is competitive with the curren gen models but won't be with the next generation from a performance viewpoint. I honestly think all known evidence supports this.

so just to confirm what you are saying.... We will see nothing better than this gen on the Wii U it will NOT outperform this gen?

#56 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

so just to confirm what you are saying.... We will see nothing better than this gen on the Wii U it will NOT outperform this gen?

My doubt here too, i think it's strange that the Wii U with a more powerful GPU it will be exactly like the current gen, just because of the ports , i mean.. it's ports.. they didn't make a game with it's full potential yeat, and not from the ground..i think people are understimating the Wii U

Edited by thunderspider, 31 December 2012 - 05:35 AM.

#57 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

The valhalla mcm 360 revision is made on a 45nm process size and is 168 mm squared. Thats gpu AND cpu size COMBINED. The wii u gpu ALONE is on a 40 nm process and 156 mm squared. IT absolutely dwarfs the 360 gpu in physical size, despite being made on a smaller process, AND it is clocked higher, AND it has a more modern feature set.

Try harder.

Edited by 3Dude, 31 December 2012 - 08:27 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#58 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

The valhalla mcm 360 revision is made on a 45nm process size and is 168 mm squared. Thats gpu AND cpu size COMBINED. The wii u gpu ALONE is on a 40 nm process and 156 mm squared. IT absolutely dwarfs the 360 gpu in physical size, despite being made on a smaller process, AND it is clocked higher, AND it has a more modern feature set.

Try harder.

I figured you would come in and save the day. I didn't feel like even putting much into a response. Just wanted to see if I understood what he was saying. Its funny

#59 Dean - Bauer

Dean - Bauer

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I doubt there will be much in it graphically, but if Nintendo don't bring their online functionality up to speed they will quickly fall behind.
WiiU= Dean-Bauer
PS3= Judgesnipesalot
XBOX 360= dean bauer

#60 16-bitLink

16-bitLink

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

I read somewhere that graphics can't go beyond 1080p, and that next generation consoles will have bigger games with better framerate, and crisper, but we'll never have another n64-gamecube or Xbox-Xbox360

Games are capable of far beyond 1080p, not so much now, only some can do it but by next gen and the gen after that 1080p will be "meh"...Sony is already saying the ps4 can support resolutions of around 3967x2760.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!