Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

http://www.kotaku.co...aming-handheld/
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-project-shield

In a surprise announcement at CES, NVIDIA today announced Project SHIELD, a gaming portable for open platforms. With the form factor of a full-sized game controller, a flip-out 5” 720p retinal display, and powered by the new Tegra 4 processor, SHIELD is a new device category that works with both Android and PC.

SHIELD has two faces; on one hand, it’s a full-fledged Android gaming portable, on the other it’s a wireless client to a GeForce GTX PC. In both cases it uses existing, open ecosystems with a vast selection of titles.

“Project SHIELD was created by NVIDIA engineers who love to game and imagined a new way to play,” said Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO of NVIDIA. “We were inspired by a vision that the rise of mobile and cloud technologies will free us from our boxes, letting us game anywhere, on any screen. We imagined a device that would do for games what the iPod and Kindle have done for music and books, letting us play in a cool new way. We hope other gamers love SHIELD as much as we do.”

One of largest gaming platforms today is Android. While touchscreen controls works great for some titles, many games, especially first person titles, can be frustrating and imprecise to control. Many accessory makers have created dongles to link game controllers to Android phones and tablets. Clearly people love playing games on Android but touchscreen alone isn’t meeting gamers’ needs.

With the goal of building an ideal Android gaming device, SHIELD integrates a full-sized game controller with a high-resolution touchscreen. By leveraging the Android platform, SHIELD works with a vast catalogue of games from day one and offers both touch and physical controls.

An Android device with full controls, however, is only half the story. With the Kepler architecture, NVIDIA engineers had perfected an ultra-fast H.264 hardware encoder designed for real time streaming. HD gameplay can be captured, encoded, and streamed with very low latency. This new streaming capability is the foundation for the second face of SHIELD: a wireless handheld counterpart to a GeForce GTX PC.

Most PC gamers own a fairly sizabl games library. But unlike music and video which can be streamed freely around the house, playing PC games requires sitting in front of a PC. Even if the picture could be streamed, where would it stream to and how would one interact with it? SHIELD elegantly solves both problems. With a 5” 1280x720 screen and a full sized controller, it is capable of not only displaying a PC game in its full glory, it lets you play it too. And because the rendering is done on the PC and the picture is streamed as video, you get GeForce GTX class graphics and long battery life. It’s kind of like having a GeForce GTX PC in the palm of your hand combined with the battery life of a Tegra device.

Naturally, NVIDIA put its latest and greatest processor into its first gaming portable. At the heart of SHIELD is the new Tegra 4, the world’s fastest mobile processor. It is powered by a quad core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU and 72 custom GPU cores – 6x the GPU horsepower of its predecessor. Through its second-generation battery saver core and PRISM 2 Display technology, Tegra 4 provides hours of gameplay on a single charge.

PC gamers play to win and nothing is more frustrating than inadequate controls. SHIELD provides a full console-grade controller with 2 joysticks, a D-pad, ABXY buttons, left/right bumpers, left/right analog triggers, Start/Back/Home/Volume buttons, and a multi-function NVIDIA/Power button.

5” Retinal Display
SHIELD flips open to an integrated 5” 1280x720 HD multi-touch display. With 294 dpi and 921,600 pixels, SHIELD has the highest resolution and pixel density of any handheld gaming device. In addition, Tegra 4’s Direct Touch technology gives SHIELD touch response three times faster than other touch devices.

Ported Speaker System
Speakers on gaming handhelds have been mediocre at best. Not so with SHIELD. SHIELD’s speakers are custom designed to take advantage of the controller’s deep body. In addition to left and right speakers, two tuned ports provide exceptional bass response. The resulting sound is full and rich, a step above even many high-end laptops.

Availability and Final Words
SHIELD is expected to ship in Q2 of 2013. It will first launch in the US and Canada, with a worldwide rollout to follow. Pricing and final specs will be unveiled closer to availability. You can sign up here to be notified for the release.

SHIELD is perhaps NVIDIA’s most ambitious gaming project to date. On the one hand, it’s the most powerful and full-fledged Android gaming portable, on the other, it’s a pocket version of a GeForce GTX PC. What excites you most about SHIELD? Share your thoughts with us below.

Your thoughts.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#2 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'll be keeping my eye on this for sure, it has a lot of potential. Hopefully they price it reasonably.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

man i know the price will be above 400. but everyone is gonna come now this , steambox, ps4, and nextbox are gonna try to put the hurt on the big N. nintedo better knock out socks off this year no excuses.

#4 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Looks like everyone is jumping on the steambox wagon, alienware, valve and now nvidia, out of all like i do like the nvida version :). the graphics on the device will be amazing.

looks brilliant, only problem is when you VS people with a keyboard and mouse.

Keyboard and mouse player with much better control and accuracy VS a control pad player, the outcome is inevitable lol. The control pad player is going to have a very poor kill death ratio thats for sure, unless they will be seperate areas where normal keyboard n mouse players cant join.

but looks like that wont happen as its just an open source sevice, same with the steam box, i think gamers will have to accept they are going to be inferior in a game using one of these lol, but the gamepad on the wii u is AWSOME, and thats only 480P i think, emagine the nvidia at 720P with TOTAL maxed out graphics on that little device and super fast frame rate, that prospect is awsome, normally 480P or 720P still look rubbish on big screens compaired to 1080P, but on a 5" screen its going to look crystal clear.

now ME peorsonally wish that a device like this exists where ALL games can be played, xbox, nintendo, ps, pc , but im dreaming haha

NINTENDO Wii U ID = Skywalkman-GB

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#5 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

I hate IOS games for several reasons.
1.They are draining money from the real game industry.....There are just to many of them coming out!
2.Most of the games arent that impressive with the exception of a few.
3.Most are overpriced for what you get(with the exeption of the Ouya). I would rather spend a few hundred on a game console instead of a phone or tablet!

Hopefully IOS games are just a trend that will be gone tommorow. I would hate to see the game industry crippled by stupid Android powered games.

Signature_DK.png

#6 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Wow, that device looks amazing! I can see a lot of potential in this; pretty much like all of nVidia's other gadgets and hardware.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#7 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

"One of largest gaming platforms today is Android" I stopped there because android isn't a gaming platform, it's for those times when you are waiting for a ride and you pull out your phone to play temple run for quick, 1 minute sessions.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#8 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

"One of largest gaming platforms today is Android" I stopped there because android isn't a gaming platform, it's for those times when you are waiting for a ride and you pull out your phone to play temple run for quick, 1 minute sessions.

You're playing a game on it and yet it is not a gaming platform?

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#9 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

Just saw this. Quite an interesting move. I also will keep an eye on this. Seems like it might be able to do what the Vita can't.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#10 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Better than Ouya. The design looks sick, very modern, just a little fat, but horsepower should make up for that. Looks like a portable Xbox.

I have two concerns however. Android games? Android is not a dedicated hardcore gaming platform, and Shield is supposed to be hardcore. I fear a lack of decent hardcore games that actually require button controls. Second, I think it might end up a bit too pricy. I have no idea how the tech is, but Nvidias latest chip should be quite expensive even though it's their own.
No sig.

#11 unleashedknight

unleashedknight

Bob-omb

• Banned
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Seems pretty cool.

#12 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Looks promising, hopefully they succeed.

However, it does look bulky and uncomfortable to hold.

Edited by Zinix, 07 January 2013 - 08:16 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Not a complete surprise.
This explains their comments during the investor call that people assumed was linked to Nintendo back before cafe had a name.

I hope it's cheap, unlike many other popular tablets, or it'll fail.

That is one ugly controller.
Can't believe people complained about the Wii U's controllers but not this thing.
It's like an original xbox controller except more ugly and uncomfortable looking.

Edited by Nollog, 07 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Not a complete surprise.
This explains their comments during the investor call that people assumed was linked to Nintendo back before cafe had a name.

I hope it's cheap, unlike many other popular tablets, or it'll fail.

That is one ugly controller.
Can't believe people complained about the Wii U's controllers but not this thing.
It's like an original xbox controller except more ugly and uncomfortable looking.

That's exactly what I was thinking about the whole looking like Xbox controller. This better sell for like only $150-250 or no buy.

#15 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

It looks ugly as hell. Still want it, though.

#16 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Since this is on Android, that means you can use emulators on it. If this thing can run N64 emulators fine, this thing will be a dream come true.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#17 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Since this is on Android, that means you can use emulators on it. If this thing can run N64 emulators fine, this thing will be a dream come true.

Tegra 3 chips can run them fine. Since this runs on a Tegra 4 chip, it should be fine.

#18 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Cool. I wish my gs3 could run n64 emulators at framerates that aren't 15 fps

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#19 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Looks good!!

Edited by Soul, 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#20 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I bet they did that, because amd took over the other consoles and nvidia left out. Sony, ms and nintendo use amd from now on.

Edited by Orion, 08 January 2013 - 01:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!