• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Pretty interesting stuff here concerning memory bandwidth on Wii U. Also an anonymous developer states Wii U's bandwidth on paper is actually not the whole picture as Wii U dramatically outperfoms PS360's theoretical 22.4gb in game. That's where it matters, not numbers on paper.

Guy's did you know, both the PS3 and 360 was measured around 10gb of peak bandwidth in game? A far cry from the supposed 22.4gb.

A good point made inside is "Ports from PS360 to Wii U wouldn't even be possible if Wii U's bandwidth is really that much lower than 22.4gb''

Anyway, it's all in the article. Take a look.

http://www.notenough...u-memory-story/

Edited by Forza Juventus, 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

http://www.notenough...u-memory-story/
NES are pretty pro-nintendo though, so anonymous developers and them I dunno if I has trust.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

just another thread that supports pure # =/= power and its too early to tell the wiiU true power.

#4 RJMacReady

RJMacReady

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

just another thread that supports pure # =/= power and its too early to tell the wiiU true power.

I heard the next MS and Sony consoles will have double the RAM bandwith of the U.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

I was wondering when this was going to make its way down here. Took a lot longer than i thought.

I heard the next MS and Sony consoles will have double the RAM bandwith of the U.

assuming people are just referring to the main module hynix/samsung rams bandwidth because they dont pay attention to anything else...

That would be debilitating, crippling, unless they had a memory heiarchy as well done as wii u's.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/17/wiiu-memory-story/
NES are pretty pro-nintendo though, so anonymous developers and them I dunno if I has trust.

One dev chose to remain anonymous, the others were named, like frozenbytes joel, wo said they had no bandwidth issues whatsoever despite using the far more demanding (including bandwidth) PC version of trine 2, instead of the watered down ps360 versions for wii u.

You guys may actually want to at least READ the article before committing to logical fallacies.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

I was wondering when this was going to make its way down here. Took a lot longer than i thought.

assuming people are just referring to the main module hynix/samsung rams bandwidth because they dont pay attention to anything else...

That would be debilitating, crippling, unless they had a memory heiarchy as well done as wii u's.

One dev chose to remain anonymous, the others were named, like frozenbytes joel, wo said they had no bandwidth issues whatsoever despite using the far more demanding (including bandwidth) PC version of trine 2, instead of the watered down ps360 versions for wii u.

You guys may actually want to at least READ the article before committing to logical fallacies.

You should read.
NES are pro-nintendo.
Anon devs aren't trustworthy.

I mentioned the other developers where?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

You should read.
NES are pro-nintendo.
Anon devs aren't trustworthy.
I mentioned the other developers where?

You dismissed the article with a blanket statement using the two quantifiers you just repeated again.

You didnt mention named devs because you didnt know they were in the article, because you didnt read the article, because you already submitted to an erroneous confirmation bias either based soley on the op, or only the first fraction of the article.

Edited by 3Dude, 18 January 2013 - 06:04 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Pretty interesting.............

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

You dismissed the article with a blanket statement using the two quantifiers you just repeated again.

You didnt mention named devs because you didnt know they were in the article, because you didnt read the article, because you already submitted to an erroneous confirmation bias either based soley on the op, or only the first fraction of the article.

You sure are assumptions-boy.

I didn't comment on the article.
I commented on the website.
I commented on people using anonymous developers for anything, to attack of defend the wii u console.
Why I didn't comment on the article?
Because it's biased. cache is magic, nintendo wins. BS.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 RJMacReady

RJMacReady

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Everyone knows that the memory hierarchy is going to be at least as good if not better than the Wii U's.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Everyone knows that the memory hierarchy is going to be at least as good if not better than the Wii U's.

Unlikely. A memory heiarchy like the wii u's wont be necessary, because they will likely be using gddr4/5 that has a bandwidth much much higher than '2x wii u's main mem'.

Making the need for sophisticated memory heiarchies redundant.

You sure are assumptions-boy.
I didn't comment on the article.
I commented on the website.
I commented on people using anonymous developers for anything, to attack of defend the wii u console.
Why I didn't comment on the article?
Because it's biased. cache is magic, nintendo wins. BS.

Argumentum from ignorance. Got it.

A well bussed (id say 6 ways) edram cache of 512Kb can have a bandwidth of over 500Gb/s. Its not magic, in fact, its one of the oldest, simplest, most orthodox tricks in the book.

Also, I still know you havent read the article, as it doesnt play out the way you described, but rather lays out all possible scenarios for the info provided, including the interviewed devs being wrong, and again, only ONE dev out of several interviewed was anonymous, invalidating your main point, and leaves it up to the reader to decide what they want to think, invalidating the other.

Lay off the self fulfilling prophecies and stop being controlled by halo effects.

Edited by 3Dude, 18 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Unlikely. A memory heiarchy like the wii u's wont be necessary, because they will likely be using gddr4/5 that has a bandwidth much much higher than '2x wii u's main mem'.

Argumentum from ignorance. Got it.

A well bussed (id say 6 ways) edram cache of 512Kb can have a bandwidth of over 500Gb/s. Its not magic, in fact, its one of the oldest, simplest, most orthodox tricks in the book.

Also, I still know you havent read the article, as it doesnt play out the way you described, but rather lays out all possible scenarios for the info provided, including the interviewed devs being wrong, and again, only ONE dev out of several interviewed was anonymous, invalidating your main point, and leaves it up to the reader to decide what they want to think, invalidating the other.

Lay off the self fulfilling prophecies and stop being controlled by halo effects.

no u.
Still refusing to see that i didn't comment on the article, just the source(s) I see.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 RJMacReady

RJMacReady

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

They are going to get the most out of their memory bandwidth.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

no u.
Still refusing to see that i didn't comment on the article, just the source(s) I see.

No, I see that, ive seen that, its the very reason ive been responding to you, and thats my entire point. Look up self fulfilling prophecy and halo effect. And while you are at it look up logical fallacies, as youre checking damn near every box on the list right now.

They are going to get the most out of their memory bandwidth.

Of course they are. Why wouldnt they?

Thats why they arent going to have bandwidth thats merely '2x the wii u's main mem'. Thats terrible for the architecture they are building. They (sony at least) Are using a high bandwidth solution in gddr5, making an old fashioned dedicated mem heiarchy like wii u has unnecessary and a waste of money.

Edited by 3Dude, 19 January 2013 - 06:44 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Sony Orbis, newest roumors, present it with gddr5 memory. 4 gigs of them and the half gig will be used for the OS. I wonder why nintendo uses 1 gig for the OS.. it must be VERY heavy for the console... stupid choice. Windows 7 and 8 need 2 gigs of ram in the PC (imagine that..)

Edited by Orion, 19 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Sony Orbis, newest roumors, present it with gddr5 memory. 4 gigs of them and the half gig will be used for the OS. I wonder why nintendo uses 1 gig for the OS.. it must be VERY heavy for the console... stupid choice. Windows 7 and 8 need 2 gigs of ram in the PC (imagine that..)

Eh, either nintendo has EPICALLY HUGE plans for the os in the future, or a lot of that os ram is going to become available to games via future updates.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 RJMacReady

RJMacReady

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

You've obviously never heard of bifarcated memory hierarchies, which require more complex architectures.

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

No, I see that, ive seen that, its the very reason ive been responding to you, and thats my entire point. Look up self fulfilling prophecy and halo effect. And while you are at it look up logical fallacies, as youre checking damn near every box on the list right now.

orly?
And here I was thinking I was trying to explain what I said and meant by what I said to you. :(

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Man some of the people on these forums need to stop yanking their own chain in there mums basement, get up and walk outside the house and get yourself a root. Who gives a farq how much power a console makes. If you enjoy playing the games then stop your crying about gpu's CPU's ufo's etc etc.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#20 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Man some of the people on these forums need to stop yanking their own chain in there mums basement, get up and walk outside the house and get yourself a root. Who gives a farq how much power a console makes. If you enjoy playing the games then stop your crying about gpu's CPU's ufo's etc etc.

We care because it could mean the world for the Wii U. Better specs could lead to better support. That's why I care about it so much.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!