• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#41 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

So show me, I'm prepared to be astounded.

Don't forget, I'm talking about comparing both at a resolution of 1080p, what most modern T.V.'s are capable of, as console players tend to use T.V.'s, and this thread is about consoles. I'm just using high-end P.C.'s as a measure of what "next-gen" consoles might be like.

I'm perfectly prepared to accept that you find the differences "jaw-dropping", fine, I don't, but does that change the points I made? A: That even a "next-gen" console which was as good as, or better than, a current high-end P.C. will not make the Wii U obsolete, and B: If gamers were really that "moved" by such things then we would all be playing on P.C.'s, not consoles.

The Wii U is very likely to hold it's own with "Next-gen" consoles, regardless of their power-ups.

Edited by Mukkinese, 19 August 2011 - 06:55 AM.

#42 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

So show me, I'm prepared to be astounded. Don't forget, I'm talking about comparing both at a resolution of 1080p, what most modern T.V.'s are capable of, as console players tend to use T.V.'s, and this thread is about consoles. I'm just using high-end P.C.'s as a measure of what "next-gen" consoles might be like.

I'm perfectly prepared to accept that you find the differences "jaw-dropping", fine, I don't, but does that change the points I made? A: That even a "next-gen" console which was as good as, or better than, a current high-end P.C. will not make the Wii U obsolete, and B: If gamers were really that "moved" by such things then we would all be playing on P.C.'s, not consoles.

The Wii U is very likely to hold it's own with "Next-gen" consoles, regardless of their power-ups.

It changes your points because:

A: A console with the same amount of current top of the range PCs is impossible, and if it weren't it would make the Wii U obsolete if just for the cool kid factor.

B: No, no we wouldn't. A PS3, which is considered to be amazing graphics can be bought for $299 last time I check, where as a top of the range PC costs well over $1000

#43 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Okay, back to known facts.

Does anyone know about Wii Game upscaling. I think it was proved not true at some point. Anyone?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#44 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Does anyone know about Wii Game upscaling. I think it was proved not true at some point. Anyone?

I think it wasn't true and just wishful thinking, but I haven't been keeping up with all the Wii U discussion around the web -_-

#45 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

It

Here you go: http://wiiugo.com/co...ii-games-in-hd/
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#46 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

I really don't understand why you seem determined to disagree with me, I'm not saying anything controversial or irrational.

It changes your points because:

A: A console with the same amount of current top of the range PCs is impossible, and if it weren't it would make the Wii U obsolete if just for the cool kid factor.

Of course it is not impossible, they are both computers, just in different forms. Unlikely it maybe, but I didn't claim it was likely, I said even if the "next-gen" consoles were as powerful as a current high end P.C. for the sake of making the point.

As for the "cool factor", that didn't make the Wii obsolete, some gamers branded it as a kiddies and grannies machine very early in it's life, but it did okay for an "uncool" machine.

Just as many games are currently made for the Xbox and upgraded to a P.C. and, to an extent, the other way around, it would be the same for any powerful "next-gen" console and the Wii U.

B: No, no we wouldn't. A PS3, which is considered to be amazing graphics can be bought for $299 last time I check, where as a top of the range PC costs well over $1000

Of course price is a factor, who said it wasn't? And a console of the same power as a top end P.C would also be very expensive. Price obviously overrides the lust for "jaw-dropping" graphics in many gamers minds. This point actually supports what I was saying, thanks.

As far as I can see we only disagree on what is "cool" or "jaw-dropping", and that is completely subjective, so I don't see this discussion getting any further from here.

Edited by Mukkinese, 19 August 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#47 SleepyGuyy

SleepyGuyy

Blooper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Fandom:
    DOUBLE CHEESE BURGER WENDY'S

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

Id like to point out i think the discs it uses has a capacity of 25GB (which is very very good) similar to blu-ray (ps3), im glad wiiU exclusives will be able to take advantage of the very large storage capacity (unlike xbox, which is about 10GB or less)

also i dont know, could somebody confirm this for me, but i think the Zl and Zr are triggers, also very good.
Posted Image

#48 Nintendofanboy53

Nintendofanboy53

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:26 PM

This is information is offical but not confirmed.

#49 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

also i dont know, could somebody confirm this for me, but i think the Zl and Zr are triggers, also very good.

The ZL and ZR buttons are shoulder triggers.
It will be as with the Classic Controller for the Wii. I suppose a more comfortable way of saying it is L1 and L2 on the Playstation line of controllers.
I believe they will be placed on top of the back ridge of the controller.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#50 Matt

Matt

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Fandom:
    Touhou

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

This is a bit late, but to the people who only have 1080i TVs: you can all run 720p, right? My TV runs the entire range, and I find 720p and 1080p to be almost indistinguishable from each other. GTA 4 doesn't even support 1080p on consoles, but yet it looks beautiful on 720p.

Also, I was kinda hoping for backward compatibility with Gamecube controllers for playing SSB4. I suppose I could just go get a Wii classic controller, since I don't really like the nunchuck/Wiimote combination.

I'm interested to see how the higher processing power will benefit old series. Here's hoping for some convincing battle scenes in Fire Emblem. Possibly some ragdoll or Euphoria engine deaths? Yes, please.

#51 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

I know not everyone has 3DTVs but it would be cool if they make some sort of announcement that the system can do 3D. I figure they're letting the 3rd party developers run a little more freely this time. They don't have to "support" it per se, but at least allow the option so that developers can make a game with 3D effects if they wanted to. Just so long as adding that feature to the system doesn't jack up the price though.

surprise3Dcat.jpeg

And does anyone know if any of the L,R,ZL, OR ZR buttons have analog capabilities? I'm reading that they may not... Sure would hate to lose the ability to gradually slow down into a turn on a racing game or even maintain a certain speed.

WiiUcontrollerback.jpeg

#52 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:00 AM

I know not everyone has 3DTVs but it would be cool if they make some sort of announcement that the system can do 3D. I figure they're letting the 3rd party developers run a little more freely this time. They don't have to "support" it per se, but at least allow the option so that developers can make a game with 3D effects if they wanted to. Just so long as adding that feature to the system doesn't jack up the price though.

surprise3Dcat.jpeg

Iwata already said the Wii U would offer 3D, but Nintendo themselves would not be focusing on it until more people own 3D TVs.
Posted Image

#53 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

Well, as I understand it, no specific hardware is actually needed within the console for 3D support, though I am sure that chips designed for this job would help considerably. It is mainly a matter of processing power and the means of display. I believe the Gamecube and Wii both supported 3D, of sorts, so whether or not it is implemented is largely up to publishers. Simple, two-colour 3D with glasses that just have coloured lenses to filter each image is relatively easy. High quality, full-colour, 3D is unlikely until there are significant number who take up 3D T.V.'s.

#54 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

And does anyone know if any of the L,R,ZL, OR ZR buttons have analog capabilities? I'm reading that they may not... Sure would hate to lose the ability to gradually slow down into a turn on a racing game or even maintain a certain speed.

WiiUcontrollerback.jpeg

So far they are not but this could change when the console is released.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#55 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Well, as I understand it, no specific hardware is actually needed within the console for 3D support, though I am sure that chips designed for this job would help considerably. It is mainly a matter of processing power and the means of display. I believe the Gamecube and Wii both supported 3D, of sorts, so whether or not it is implemented is largely up to publishers. Simple, two-colour 3D with glasses that just have coloured lenses to filter each image is relatively easy. High quality, full-colour, 3D is unlikely until there are significant number who take up 3D T.V.'s.

They said GameCube did support stereoscopic 3D in Iwata asks.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#56 lostdwarf

lostdwarf

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

The screen resolution is 854:480

The Controller screen resolution is 854:480 at 6.2"
which is equal to EDTV standard.

surprise3Dcat.jpeg

WiiUcontrollerback.jpeg

The shoulder buttons, L, R, ZL, ZR are just buttons.
The Wii U CAN and WILL do 3D if you have a 3DTV.

#57 zachalejandro

zachalejandro

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Video Games!!!! character: Mario

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

I am just wondering if you can take the Wii U along with you for traveling also while playing Wii games and Wii U games?

#58 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

I am just wondering if you can take the Wii U along with you for traveling also while playing Wii games and Wii U games?

I'm afraid not. The controller streams games from the console, so it would have to be kept close to the console for this to work.

#59 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

Hopefully not to close

#60 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hopefully not to close

So far to my knowledge the only limitation is that you more or less have to be in the same room, but otherwise you don't have to be too close to the console

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!