Photo

Exactly how large is the power gap between the Wii U and the PS4?

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#21 MyNameIsMatt

MyNameIsMatt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hope not. I would have fallen for their marketing towards "hardcore" gamers. Lets get some perspective, however, the console has been out for 4 months. Not even half a year, out of possible 5/6 year cycles? Don't get carried away too early.

#22 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Apple Iphones have been underpowered and stale against the Android OS for years now... But they still sell great because of the name. Nintendo won't have a problem.

I whole heartedly disagree. There is nothing stale or underpowered about the iPhones, iPads and iOS. In many ways they are superior to the Android platform. Besides its not all about power when it comes to phones and tablets. The iOS platform offers a far better user experience then Android.

Personally I never expected the Wii U to be the console of choice with great first party and third party choice. I figured if it had great third party support then great but I was always going to buy the PS 4 and the Xbox 360 successors at launch anyway. If the Wii U turns out to be a console primarily for Nintendo first party games then so be it. Nintendo haven't leant from their mistakes with the Wii and the Wii U may well play third fiddle to the PS 4 and Microsoft's next console. I hope its not for the sake of Nintendo fans but its sure looking that way so far.

#23 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

How about this for comparisons. Let's say the Wii U compared to the PS4 is like comparing the 3DS to Vita. We all know which system has higher specs & more power and yet the graphics quality in some of the games on the 3DS surely do not disappoint and often surprise (Revelations/ KI:U )

Edited by Sorceror12, 21 February 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#24 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

How about this for comparisons. Let's say the Wii U compared to the PS4 is like comparing the 3DS to Vita. We all know which system has higher specs & more power and yet the graphics quality in some of the games on the 3DS surely do not disappoint and often surprise (Revelations/ KI:U )

That's a good possibility. Revelations looks amazing on the 3DS. I guess we will just need to wait and compare Zelda to Uncharted or something along the lines of that.

Posted Image

#25 NanamiGamerGrl17

NanamiGamerGrl17

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

I don't buy a console for graphics or realistic games. I buy a system and games for the fun factor. now I'm not saying I won't play realistic games like GTA (then again some of the antics in thatr game I question how people think it is realistic) and Ass Creed. However I buy them since they are fun,have good characters and the story is good. The people who bug me are the ones who bash Nintendo saying it is kiddy and only care about graphics. It is ok to like Sony I love my PS2 but it is not ok to be the type of "gamer" who only cares about graphics and calls other systems,games and other gamers out.

Posted Image

#26 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

This is ridiculous. I question every one of these threads and why you are on this forum. Obviously your not Nintendo FANS if your this fickle. If your playing video games for graphics, buy a PC and GTFO. At least wait until we see side by side comparisons of games out on the Wii U/PS4/720 before you complain about the Wii U being under powered. This is getting ridiculous. For all you people moaning about Nintendo being left in the dust or dying and less powerful wah wah wah, sell your Wii U and go join the PS4/720 forums please. Do us a friggan favor.

That is not entirely fair man. The OP wasn't really hating on Nintendo....third party support is a definite concern with the WiiU, and I think that most of us would agree that we buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and third party games are gravy. Also, he never mentioned the PS4 or 720 in his post. I don't think he is a hater.
Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#27 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

POPULAR

Is it strange I am not seeing this as the case... I watched the ps4 conferance and all and it just gave me more confidence that the wiiu won't be the wii situation.

#28 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

That is not entirely fair man. The OP wasn't really hating on Nintendo....third party support is a definite concern with the WiiU, and I think that most of us would agree that we buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and third party games are gravy. Also, he never mentioned the PS4 or 720 in his post. I don't think he is a hater.

Agreed, though 3rd parties aren't going to sell me on a PS4 or 720 either. The exclusive IP's are what separates money from my wallet. If they don't produce some truly awe inspiring first party titles (graphics is a given in this gen, I'm talking awesome gameplay) then I won't be sold because those same third parties will release most games to PC as well. I spent a lot of money on my PC and continue to improve it.

#29 Shogo

Shogo

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hope not. I would have fallen for their marketing towards "hardcore" gamers. Lets get some perspective, however, the console has been out for 4 months. Not even half a year, out of possible 5/6 year cycles? Don't get carried away too early.

I'm not selling my Wii U. I will wait to see how it goes. But if the Wii U is going to be another Wii then I will jump ship. After being a Nintendo gamer for so long it not necessarily something I want to do, but they will leave me no choice. I am getting Need for Speed for WIi U on March, I like the extra work Criterion did on the Wii U port of this game, it looks good. I am hoping Nintendo will announce some games that appeal to me come this years E3. I would be interested in a 3D Metroid game. I am glad to hear the Wii U is getting Watch Dogs, (Disappointed there is no Bioshock Infinite even though they showed Ken Levine praising the Wii U on E3 2011).
Posted Image

#30 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

improvement from wii yes. top dog, no. nintindo working on recovering ground. as for weakest. wii was first time bad one. others wernt near as bad including this one

#31 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

This is my prediction for the Wii U's lifespan

Year 1 (2012 - 2013) - A very bumpy and shaky road for Nintendo but come out with a great first party line-up at E3 for 2013 and 2014. A few more third party exclusives, and even some next gen multi-plats start dripping in (like watch_dogs) along with increased current gen support.

Year 2 (2014 - 2015) - Nintendo keeps on pumping out great first party support including Zelda U. More current gen support. E3 2014 introduces some more 2nd and 3rd party exclusives. More next gen multi-plats are promised.

Year 3 (2015 - 2016) - First party support slows down, and third party support increases for next gen games.

Year 4 (2016 - 2017) - First party support has a few gems but nothing much, third party support levels out but is still very strong for a Nintendo console

Year 5 (2018 - 2019) - Nintendo hit back with more great first party games, Nintendo cloud service is announced.

Year 6 (2019 - 2020) - Rumors of Nintendo's next gen console start up. No reveal, no conformation, but more and more third party support in cloud games.

Year 7 (2020 2021) - Nintendo's next gen console is announced. Hypetrain builds again. Third party base from Wii U has built a foundation for more trust between Nintendo and third parties.

Year 8 (2021 - 2022) - Nintendo's Next gen console goes on sale with few decent first party titles, but far more ports of PS4 and 720 games.

Edited by Penguin101, 21 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#32 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

This is my prediction for the Wii U's lifespan

Year 1 (2012 - 2013) - A very bumpy and shaky road for Nintendo but come out with a great first party line-up at E3 for 2013 and 2014. A few more third party exclusives, and even some next gen multi-plats start dripping in (like watch_dogs) along with increased current gen support.

Year 2 (2014 - 2015) - Nintendo keeps on pumping out great first party support including Zelda U. More current gen support. E3 2014 introduces some more 2nd and 3rd party exclusives. More next gen multi-plats are promised.

Year 3 (2015 - 2016) - First party support slows down, and third party support increases for next gen games.

Year 4 (2016 - 2017) - First party support has a few gems but nothing much, third party support levels out but is still very strong for a Nintendo console

Year 5 (2018 - 2019) - Nintendo hit back with more great first party games, Nintendo cloud service is announced.

Year 6 (2019 - 2020) - Rumors of Nintendo's next gen console start up. No reveal, no conformation, but more and more third party support in cloud games.

Year 7 (2020 2021) - Nintendo's next gen console is announced. Hypetrain builds again. Third party base from Wii U has built a foundation for more trust between Nintendo and third parties.

Year 8 (2021 - 2022) - Nintendo's Next gen console goes on sale with few decent first party titles, but far more ports of PS4 and 720 games.

so we have to wait for the next Wii before things get better ?

everyone saying, so the WiiU is going to be the best selling console & have lots of exclusives are really missing the OP's point, the Wii was a success because it was different & it was also cheap, the WiiU is not cheap & it is not so different, the exclusives the Wii had apart from the usual Mario & Zelda games were crappy shovelware party games that publishers threw together to raise cash, no doubt to fund development on PS3/X360 titles.

Nintendo said they wanted the core gamers back, these gamers want exclusives & the best third party games, Nintendo really have to pull something out of the bag because otherwise people will think twice about buying a WiiU & this will cause the third party devs/pubs to cut down releasing games due to the limited user-base thus making the problem even worse.

on occasions people need to take their rose tinted glasses off & have a look about.

last night watching the PS4 reveal i did feel a bit sad & disappointed that i had got a WiiU, reading more in the PS4 today though i have slightly changed my view & things are not all bad for Nintendo or the WiiU but Nintendo REALLY have to sort themselves out & also tie-up third party games & also third party exclusives, they also need to sort out the DLC for third party games, it will not work for people thinking about buying a game for a WiiU when they may not get the DLC that they will get on the PS3/X360.

#33 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

It could very well be a problem, I'm reserving judgment though.

#34 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

At the end of the day, when nintendo drops their games, ala 3d mario, smash bros, zelda, metroid etc,

we still will be amazed at how good they look, how well they play and how fun they are, and we will compare them to some of the best ps4 and nextbox will offer and still say, DESPITE blah wii-u not being as strong, xxxgame is still amazing.

i.e.

smash bros brawl is still better than ps all stars
mario galaxy 1 and 2 are still one of the best adventure games this gen
donkey kong country, kirby, and new super mario are still better platforms over LBP (not to take anything away from lbp)
mario kart is still better than mod nation, lbp karting, etc

so, all this talk is mute.

#35 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'll be posting a bigger post later on, but we haven't seen what tge Wii U csn do graphically. We sall a glimpse of X from Monoloft (sp?) And that looks amazing. E3 we will see more good looking games. Nintendo is going to have to pull out that Retro game, and hopefully it's not a Metroid game (it probably is though). Whatever it is, it needs to look great.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#36 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

At the end of the day, when nintendo drops their games, ala 3d mario, smash bros, zelda, metroid etc,
we still will be amazed at how good they look, how well they play and how fun they are, and we will compare them to some of the best ps4 and nextbox will offer and still say, DESPITE blah wii-u not being as strong, xxxgame is still amazing.
i.e.
smash bros brawl is still better than ps all stars
mario galaxy 1 and 2 are still one of the best adventure games this gen
donkey kong country, kirby, and new super mario are still better platforms over LBP (not to take anything away from lbp)
mario kart is still better than mod nation, lbp karting, etc
so, all this talk is mute.

Regardless of whether those Nintendo games are better then their Sony counterparts and I disagree with you there on some of them that's not enough to make the Wii U successful and its no longer just about games and playing them single player or local multiplayer. There is more to consoles then that and with the Wii U Nintendo still hasn't learnt and is doing things half heartedly. Their problem is they're just too stubborn and continue doing things the way they want to rather then following market trends and what gamers want. They don't make the game playing experience easy for gamers.

#37 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

Apple Iphones have been underpowered and stale against the Android OS for years now... But they still sell great because of the name. Nintendo won't have a problem.

Lol

The iPhone always out powers android phones. Every time an iPhone comes out, it's the most powerful.

An android phone that comes out half a year to a year later is going to have better specs. But then a new iPhone comes out and destroys the android.

And the iPhone always looks better, feels better, etc.

Then there is the OS.

Android just plain sucks compared to ios. Not only does android look like something iOS crapped out, it's such a mishmash of code (some stolen. Look it up...) that it performs much worse even when on a new phone half a year after the latest iPhone.

IOS is extremely well thought out, efficient, polished, and highly focused. Android is like a bunched of nerds barfed out ideas and filled a phone sized bucket with them.

You may prefer android. But that's all it is. Preference.
Reality is that the iPhone performs better, overpowers, and provides a more smooth and consistent experience than android.

Apple manufacturing their own arm chips helps too. The iPhone 5 for example, sports a next gen arm core architecture not even available to android at the time.

Sony put together a beast with the ps4. Ms may choose to follow suit or settle for near-ps4 performance.

But Nintendo paid attention to a few things. One is the state of tech today vs just two years ago. Two is that they know we are in a rough economy. Three is that power in consoles is at a point where people need a new and better experience as a differentiator.

They took great tech that was not brand new and made it better. They looked at ways to allow the systems to perform well beyond the sum of its parts. And they are using it in innovative ways and providing it at an extremely affordable price.

Added to that, the wii u can do big time graphics showcases.

No it won't match the ps4. But it won't be embarrassed either.

The ps4 offers a higher level of potential. But is it worth $250-$300 more?
That's the question many people will be asking when it comes time to part with their hard earned cash.

Ps4 came out guns blazing. It's been in development for a while and it's already got games far along built from the ground up just for it. And they showed the best they could.

In contrast, the wii u has literally shown nothing yet. The nearest thing we have seen is a short clip of a game that is maybe halfway into development. X.
People can just wait until e3. Sony will show more, but there will be playable games. So we can truly gusts the system. Likewise there will be wii u proper games.

They are going to look goooood.

May not be exactly the quality we've seen on ps4. But it will be closer than most people think this year at e3.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 23 February 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#38 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Their problem is they're just too stubborn and continue doing things the way they want to rather then following market trends and what gamers want. They don't make the game playing experience easy for gamers.

disagree, following trends has never been their thing, and yet, many years later, here they are.
since when has following trends been the thing to do? in that case only fps with tons of dlc should be made, since cleary by the numbers thats what gamers want. a real artist creates demand, he doesnt draw/paint what other ppl draw, or sing the same lyrics as the others, or create a program that litteraly runs and looks the same as the competior, you make something new, and hope people like it. media molecule is a Pime example with lbp, and their new game tear away.
and saying they dont make the gameplaying experience easy, im not sure what you mean. if you mean that according to controls, whats hard about that? surely you dont mean the difficulty level in their games is unbearable.

#39 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

**cough watchdogs cough**

bb0.gif

#40 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

**cough watchdogs cough**

I know right? I knew that would be coming to the Wii U.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!