Photo

Eidos confirms Next Xbox will block used games...ouch...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

http://www.thisisxbo...cks-used-games/

So Ian Livingstone was in India promoting Tomb Raider and apparently he revealed to GameGuru India that the next Xbox will block used games.

But it gets worse...

They also confirmed the necessary Always-On Internet connection. This definently sucks for people like me who have Internet connection that randomly drop every 10 minutes...or just have slow speed (not my problem)

So whatcha think? If its true...I'm getting the Ps4 and there's nothing that can change my mind...I could deal with blocking used games, but because my Internet randomly drops, it would completely F-Up my gaming while I'm in the middle of playing...and that happens enough when I'm oline in Call of Duty...

BUT, I think that this could be false. Why you ask? Because they were being interviewed by an Indian Company, they could have mistranslated, as many foreign leaks usually do...thoughts?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I guess Micro$oft aint getting my buisness. I urge the rest of you to boycott the Nextbox as well. Down with greedy companies!

Signature_DK.png

#3 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I can't see it happening. Even if they originally planned this (which seems unlikely, Games for Windows Live was a failure on PC primarily because people hated its need for an always-on Internet connection), I can't imagine them sticking to it now that PS4 is confirmed as NOT blocking used games.

Although it seems there is still a "catch" on PS4 we do not know about regarding that, which is worrying as that does imply some sort of Internet connection is required and I still know people with games consoles who do not have Internet access at all.

Still, I am seriously considering PS4 now when I was pretty much sold on Xbox. I didn't expect Sony to fix the many complaints I had with the PS3 or improve PSNs social functionality to the point that they appeared to have done. Heck, even the Dual Shock 4 looks like it might actually be usable this time round, they seem to have extended the bits where you hold it so you aren't as cramped.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 23 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

video was removed by the user.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I also urge you to hit Facebook and Twitter to spread the word.

Signature_DK.png

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Booooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'll wait until Microsoft announces it themselves. When was the last time Eidos was relevant anyway? Lmao.

#8 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

video was removed by the user.

Either Microsoft made them...or it's not true, but considering its an actual company, I'm almost positive Microsoft made them
remove it

Edited by EVO, 23 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#9 xer0

xer0

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

That is a bummer man. All of these rumors are making the next Microsoft console horrible. Mandatory Kinect? No used games? I feel like Microsoft is taking crazy pills.

I don't get why banish the ability to play used games? I mean, I get it....they don't make money on the circulation of second hand games but honestly, here's the way I see it. I'm kind of OCD about my gaming collection and I very rarely ever buy used games unless they're out of print. I don't want Madden 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011...etc just sitting on my shelf. I'll trade those games in and wait for it....BUY NEW GAMES. I can't tell you how many times I ended up picking up extra games just because of trade credits. If Microsoft actually goes through with this, Gamestop is definitely not going to be happy about it and many people like me who trade in games to purchase more games aren't either.

Edited by xer0, 23 February 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

That is a bummer man. All of these rumors are making the next Microsoft console horrible. Mandatory Kinect? No used games? I feel like Microsoft is taking crazy pills.

I don't get why banish the ability to play used games? I mean, I get it....they don't make money on the circulation of second hand games but honestly, here's the way I see it. I'm kind of OCD about my gaming collection and I very rarely ever buy used games unless they're out of print. I don't want Madden 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011...etc just sitting on my shelf. I'll trade those games in and wait for it....BUY NEW GAMES. I can't tell you how many times I ended up picking up extra games just because of trade credits. If Microsoft actually goes through with this, Gamestop is definitely not going to be happy about it and many people like me who trade in games to purchase more games aren't either.

Plus some people like me with a small budget are screwed. Thats why Microsoft aint getting my buisness.

Signature_DK.png

#11 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Are you serious? I actually clicked the link and the video's description says that it "COULD." Nowhere does it say it WILL, so I don't see what confirmation there is. This is just another rumor being spread around and gullible people will fall for it. Just like how they fell for the same thing when rumors were circulating that Sony would do the same thing. Pathetic.

Edited by Gaymer, 23 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#12 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Welp, Sony was going to get my money anyway.

#13 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

If true it's a very bad move. Ps4 said they would do something like that but looks like they pulled out.
But if true I will not buy it. And idk how they will watermark a game for that system. Either way that just causes problems if you have 2 systems or on breaks ( wii u eshop) but with hard copies. People would burn down MS office.

Plus the always online will cut down the amount of people who will buy it. Since not everyone has Internet.

So we will see what happens. I just know its a very bad move to lock games to one system, or need Internet to play an offline game.

Edited by xile6, 23 February 2013 - 05:57 PM.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I can't see it happening. Even if they originally planned this (which seems unlikely, Games for Windows Live was a failure on PC primarily because people hated its need for an always-on Internet connection), I can't imagine them sticking to it now that PS4 is confirmed as NOT blocking used games.

Although it seems there is still a "catch" on PS4 we do not know about regarding that, which is worrying as that does imply some sort of Internet connection is required and I still know people with games consoles who do not have Internet access at all.

Still, I am seriously considering PS4 now when I was pretty much sold on Xbox. I didn't expect Sony to fix the many complaints I had with the PS3 or improve PSNs social functionality to the point that they appeared to have done. Heck, even the Dual Shock 4 looks like it might actually be usable this time round, they seem to have extended the bits where you hold it so you aren't as cramped.

People are forgetting that anything that requires the geikai streaming tech will need a constant connection. I still think they may be using some sort of streaming (data streaming, not video streaming) to download game levels as you play, rather than downloading an entire digital purchase and installing it, like some MMO's do already. This would also require a constant internet connection. I doubt anything on disc would require it though unless they are only shipping part of the game on disc.

#15 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

I think its very unlikely Microsoft will introduce any kind of block on second hand games especially as Sony have now stated they won't. The always on internet connection could happen but again I think its highly unlikely either Sony or Microsoft will require it due to the variation in performance of Internet connections and with some people not having Internet at all.

#16 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

Load of crap. Can say that first hand.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#17 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

i have a feeling microsoft's xbox will lose this consul war, both hardware(wii won) and software(xbox by small margin) race.

PS4 lost ground when they didnt blow wiiU away (they traded stocks, minor sign but still noticeable.)

the fact they can even suggest this with a reliable chance of it being true suggest a loss.

not to mechen they played hardball with publishers/developers "give us best version or not at all" last gen wont work as well.

but im all in for 720 losing, it most likly role is a multyplat machine+ HALO, and thats about it.

PS4 will probly do aobut as well as PS3 did but not with as bad a start.

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Not interested then, if this is confirmed Sony get my business, Micro$oft can jump...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!