#41 NanamiGamerGrl17

NanamiGamerGrl17

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I love how they say holiday 2013 for PS4. Well what holiday Sony? Easter? Valentines? Arbor Day? XD But I really don't see the Wii U as being as expensive as people say it is. 350 is cheap

Posted Image

#42 wiiztec

wiiztec

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

It's too early for a price drop Nintendo doesn't usually subsidize their hardware, the 3DS was the first time they ever did

#43 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

When you all say it is too early for a price drop are you talking about now or in 7 months when the PS4 comes out. I was refering yo 7 months from now.

Also, bringing up the 3ds price drop only strengthens the price drop argument because it worked.

I also like the value added ideas. But in stuff like this having a lower price point will be great for the holiday.

All is really a guess really. I have had my Wii U since launch. I would not fell burned. As an early adopter of electronics it is par for the course.

#44 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Stop asking for a price cut, they are already taking a loss on the wii u. the ps4 wont sell near as much anyway.

Signature_Fox.png

#45 bigbadwolfe911

bigbadwolfe911

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I don't foresee a price cut but I would bet before long Nintendoland will be added to the basic bundle, and they will continue to offer the Deluxe bundle with nintendoland and another title like the Zombiu bundle. And if you did not see my post I just ordered a Zombiu Deluxe Bundle on sale for only $350.99 (US) shipped. Check it out here: http://thewiiu.com/t...e-at-neweggcom/

#46 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

I am not asking for a price cut personally ...I already stated I have a Wii U. I am just wondering what Nintendo will do to strengthen their position in the upcoming console war.

Being first with no killer games did not help.

They need to make some noise when the competition launches or they will become the also ran.

#47 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yet another good idea, we need to get in touch with Reggie, have him hire us on a marketing consultants.

Your not hired yet? I'll talk to him for you.

Lol jk :D
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#48 joey0480

joey0480

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

I figure we "possibly" see Christmas 249 and 299 pricing to boost sales

#49 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

I figure we "possibly" see Christmas 249 and 299 pricing to boost sales

Pretty much what I was thinking.

#50 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

is there any good sales chart website, except vgcharts?

#51 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

I love how they say holiday 2013 for PS4. Well what holiday Sony? Easter? Valentines? Arbor Day? XD But I really don't see the Wii U as being as expensive as people say it is. 350 is cheap

Whenever a company says holiday and a specific year they typically mean Christmas.

#52 xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Nintendo Legends

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

It doesn't need a price cut. It's already like £175 for the basic. All it needs is Nintendo A+ titles that will make full use of the consoles power and it will soon fly of the shelves.

#53 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

ps4 is going drop its cost, but ps4 games going cost €80 to €90 brand new

like $80 to 90  or £80 to 90 brand new

that's €20 to €30 more expensive then wii u games brand new

that's $20 to $30 more expensive then wii u games brand new

that's £20 to £30 more expensive then wii u games brand new

#54 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

ps4 is going drop its cost, but ps4 games going cost €80 to €90 brand new

like $80 to 90 or £80 to 90 brand new

that's €20 to €30 more expensive then wii u games brand new

that's $20 to $30 more expensive then wii u games brand new

that's £20 to £30 more expensive then wii u games brand new

No way on God's green earth games will be $90 bucks. They will be $60 as they are now. In the world of good $5-$10 games no way even premium titles will be over $60.

That would be financial suicide.

Edited by Dharmanator, 05 March 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#55 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

Nah this place has the prices of everything Sony PS4.

http://www.dvd.co.uk...4/pg828/ps4.htm

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#56 Reaver

Reaver

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Not sure about those prices on the link above but shopto.net has the PS4 at £400 and the games at £48.99 which seems more realistic, even though the games are highly priced. Could just be a stab in the dark figure so they can get preorders underway though.

http://shopto.net/pr...enu/coming soon

#57 blu gamepad

blu gamepad

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

When you all say it is too early for a price drop are you talking about now or in 7 months when the PS4 comes out. I was refering yo 7 months from now.

Also, bringing up the 3ds price drop only strengthens the price drop argument because it worked.

I also like the value added ideas. But in stuff like this having a lower price point will be great for the holiday.

All is really a guess really. I have had my Wii U since launch. I would not fell burned. As an early adopter of electronics it is par for the course.

The price cut for the 3DS worked then, but Nintendo can't make a bad habit out of it, otherwise they will be training their customers to always expect a price drop within 6 months to a year. That mentality will make early sales for future nintendo systems even worse. I understand the reason you're kinda going for with value and a little price cut to give sales a shot in the arm. But a console business is a marathon not a sprint. You can't be quick to fire all your moves in one go at the first sign of trouble. If you don't have confidence in your own platform, how will your customers have it. 

NIntendo has made all the moves they can make while taking minimal loss. Tone thing they need to do now, and the only thing they need to do now is add more games. Software sells the hardware. Without an ever growing lineup of games no price cut in the world can save a system from a short and quick death to the bargin bins.

The PlayStation 4 is sitting pretty now, but in all honesty, its going to be more expensive than the Wii U at launch; the specs clearly make a case for this. The lineup, is not gonna be nearly as diverse as people may think, and will struggle for a while as Nintendo simply adds more games to its more affordable next gen platform. The Wii U will be fine, not need to panic and get hasty.

The 3DS was special case, but there is no need for alarm to press the panic price cut button.

#58 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

They are going to drop the price at some point this year.  The cost of the console to manufacture is irrelevent, it doesnt matter if a manufacture chooses components that cost them $300 if another manufacture chooses components that cost $200 and give similar performance.  Consumer demand is telling Nintendo two things, your price is out of line, and there isnt enough desirable content to persuade consumers to make the purchase.  Some things like maintaining backwards compatability cost money.  If Nintendo has not opted to include backwards compatability, they could have released better performing hardware for the same money.  If you are big on backwards compatability, then this was worth it to you, but there are many who could care less about that, and just want the most performance for their dollar.  The same is true for the touchscreen controller.  The gamepad is far more expensive to manufacture than a PS3 or 360 controller, but if the consumer doesnt see the value in that, then the inflated price of your console do to that controller makes your prdoduct less desirable.  Nintendo really needs to work on their marketing of the gamepad, and getting people to understand the value the gamepad brings because of asymetrical gameplay that isnt being done anywhere else.  The N64 dropped to $150 within nine months of release, so I wouldnt be suprised to see a $50-80 price drop within the next few months.  Nintendo cant afford to have its console selling less than a 100k unit per month for very long.  That wont sit well with third party publishers, and projects will be canceled if the Wii U is looking like a bust.  

I love my Wii U, but Nintendo does need to weather the storm until they have some of their big hitters ready to go.  Once games like a 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda are on the console, the software will bring plenty of value, and the asking price of the hardware becomes a lot more reasonable.  Right now, Nintendo is asking consumers to pay $300-350 for hardware to play PS3/360 games.  Most people who really like those games, already have a PS3/360, and arent going to purcahse new hardware to  play simple ports.  I personally think Sony and Microsoft will struggle with this later this year as well.  Most multi plat games are still going to be on the PS3/360 because game development budgets are so high these days, they cant afford to ditch the huge isntall base of the 360/PS3 for a low install base of new hardware.  When you need to sell over a 3 million units to cover the games development budget, you cant release that soley on a install base that isnt much bigger than that.  So will all those 360/PS3 gamers going to see the value in a $400-500 console to play Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, games that they will already have access to on their current hardware.     

#59 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

They are going to drop the price at some point this year.  The cost of the console to manufacture is irrelevent, it doesnt matter if a manufacture chooses components that cost them $300 if another manufacture chooses components that cost $200 and give similar performance.  Consumer demand is telling Nintendo two things, your price is out of line, and there isnt enough desirable content to persuade consumers to make the purchase.  Some things like maintaining backwards compatability cost money.  If Nintendo has not opted to include backwards compatability, they could have released better performing hardware for the same money.  If you are big on backwards compatability, then this was worth it to you, but there are many who could care less about that, and just want the most performance for their dollar.  The same is true for the touchscreen controller.  The gamepad is far more expensive to manufacture than a PS3 or 360 controller, but if the consumer doesnt see the value in that, then the inflated price of your console do to that controller makes your prdoduct less desirable.  Nintendo really needs to work on their marketing of the gamepad, and getting people to understand the value the gamepad brings because of asymetrical gameplay that isnt being done anywhere else.  The N64 dropped to $150 within nine months of release, so I wouldnt be suprised to see a $50-80 price drop within the next few months.  Nintendo cant afford to have its console selling less than a 100k unit per month for very long.  That wont sit well with third party publishers, and projects will be canceled if the Wii U is looking like a bust.  

I love my Wii U, but Nintendo does need to weather the storm until they have some of their big hitters ready to go.  Once games like a 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda are on the console, the software will bring plenty of value, and the asking price of the hardware becomes a lot more reasonable.  Right now, Nintendo is asking consumers to pay $300-350 for hardware to play PS3/360 games.  Most people who really like those games, already have a PS3/360, and arent going to purcahse new hardware to  play simple ports.  I personally think Sony and Microsoft will struggle with this later this year as well.  Most multi plat games are still going to be on the PS3/360 because game development budgets are so high these days, they cant afford to ditch the huge isntall base of the 360/PS3 for a low install base of new hardware.  When you need to sell over a 3 million units to cover the games development budget, you cant release that soley on a install base that isnt much bigger than that.  So will all those 360/PS3 gamers going to see the value in a $400-500 console to play Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, games that they will already have access to on their current hardware.     

over 3 million customers served does not say the price is out of line.  The slumping sales since only points to a lack of quality software.  Nintendo can't dictate to developers what they will develop or launch, unless they want to fund it, and it still isn't that simple.  The launch titles were announced back in 2011, before those titles released on PS3 and 360.  Then, the hardware changed, and chaged.  Devs didn't get final HDKs until late last year, right around launch time, so the ports that were ready to go for launch were developed using different target hardware that was less capable.

Criterion have said that Nintendo are providing support now and they were able to develop a PC port of their game in months, which is fantastic.  If they had tried to release at launch it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

We have several games coming out this month (1 today) that will alleviate some of the software woes, then we have SxSW, GDC, and e3 to look forward to plus any Nintendo Directs that are announced for more news on software.  They'll be fine, and they won't need a price cut.  The price is right already, it isn't very expensive at all when you look through history and adjust for inflation, and it will still be the lowest cost console available with similar capability.

#60 nothinglost

nothinglost

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

^^^ While I do agree with some of the points that you made Goomba, I honestly feel that the price point is perfect for this console.

It's not completely out of reach for the younger gamers and it isn't too cheap to make it seem like an under powered machine.

I think what a lot of gamers tend to forget is the simple fact that home consoles are essentially Super Gaming PC's with proprietary components built into each of them. 

For me $350 bucks is a small price to pay for an HD Nintendo console by itself, then you add in the amazing Gamepad (which some other companies would probably try and retail for around $200 - $250 all on it's own) and the eventual swarm of awesome Nintendo 1st Party I.P.'s and this is recipe for awesomeness!!!

Not trying to start an argument here, just tossing my 2 cents into the conversation.

Basically my opinion is that Nintendo is doing it correctly this time by launching first, with amazing innovation and a decent price point.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!