Photo

Thoughts, are we already seeing the close on PS3/360 ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Nothing really big due out soon for 360 or PS3 in the next few months and most of the good stuff due out later in the year is available for next gen and port downs.

With this in mind are people starting to think about selling some of the last gen stuff? I have already sold both our Kinect sensors,one PS3 and one 360 before they are only worth peanuts!

So are you keeping them until they die or thinking on selling up while you can?

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

Nothing really big due out soon for 360 or PS3 in the next few months and most of the good stuff due out later in the year is available for next gen and port downs.

With this in mind are people starting to think about selling some of the last gen stuff? I have already sold both our Kinect sensors,one PS3 and one 360 before they are only worth peanuts!

So are you keeping them until they die or thinking on selling up while you can?

So...Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Remember Me, Lost Planet 3, and Metro: Last Light among others is nothing for the next few months? lolk

On topic: No, I will not sell my PS3 just because a new system is coming out. That's just wasteful. There's still plenty of PS3 games I haven't gone through/bought/etc, so I plan on playing this thing for a looong time.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

So...Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Remember Me, Lost Planet 3, and Metro: Last Light among others is nothing for the next few months? lolk

The above projects started work a while ago, i'm im on about brand new projects and even some of the above are cross gen titles.

Posted Image

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

I typically never sell my old consoles, they go to the hall of history.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

I typically never sell my old consoles, they go to the hall of history.

Lol,could have a retro day!

Posted Image

#6 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

most of the games I c latelly for a this year release, are based on PC and next gen (wii U included), ps360 is in a second fate.

Edited by Plutonas, 01 March 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#7 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Already sold all my last gen stuff, got a 3DS XL and a Wii U, starting to consider saving up for a PS4 too, just wish we knew how much it's gonna cost.

#8 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Guys don't sell your PS3 or 360 just yet because so far PS4 will not play PS3 games, 720 will probably be unable to play 360 games too.

#9 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Not selling my PS3 until at least 2015, when it gets no more sony support.

794144.png?13383682

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

The above projects started work a while ago, i'm im on about brand new projects and even some of the above are cross gen titles.

As far as I'm aware none of those are cross gen titles and I believe you're mistaken if you think PS3 and Xbox 360 development is winding down. Considering their market share developers and publishers aren't going to abandon them anytime soon.

#11 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

As far as I'm aware none of those are cross gen titles and I believe you're mistaken if you think PS3 and Xbox 360 development is winding down. Considering their market share developers and publishers aren't going to abandon them anytime soon.

I agree on market share,but they do have to look at long term install base. Sony already have all there software houses doing PS4 stuff at the expense of PS3/Vita titles.

My daughter asked if Little big planet 3 would be on PS3? i know its going to be on PS4 but who knows? this is the type of thing i'm on about.

Posted Image

#12 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

They will probably continue to see third party support due to the install base, but Sony and Microsoft are going to have to put a carrot out there to get people onto their new platforms.  I don't know how they plan to do that, whether they stop producing first party titles for them completely is something we'll see when the new consoles start rolling out.

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I agree on market share,but they do have to look at long term install base. Sony already have all there software houses doing PS4 stuff at the expense of PS3/Vita titles.
My daughter asked if Little big planet 3 would be on PS3? i know its going to be on PS4 but who knows? this is the type of thing i'm on about.

They will probably continue to see third party support due to the install base, but Sony and Microsoft are going to have to put a carrot out there to get people onto their new platforms.  I don't know how they plan to do that, whether they stop producing first party titles for them completely is something we'll see when the new consoles start rolling out.

I agree that both Sony and Microsoft need to show support and their faith in their respective new consoles and therefore transfer their big AAA franchises to the new consoles. That not to say that they can't have a transition period where some if not all their games come out on both current and the future gen platforms. Sony in particular as always supported a 10 year life cycle for their consoles with both the PS One and PS2 following this plan. I would be surprised if they didn't follow this plan with the PS3.

Microsoft on the other hand discontinued the Xbox completely on the launch of the Xbox 360 and may well do the same with the 360. That said the 360 has been far more successful then the original Xbox and still could continue to be a good source of revenue. I think third parties may be torn between supporting the existing consoles and the new ones but again they may choose to make their games cross generation or develop some of their games for current gen and some for the future gen depending on what makes best business sense for them.

Personally I've typically always got rid of or packed away my old consoles when they are replaced with new ones. However I will have to keep my PS3 connected as I have a number games I own and will buy this year still to play on it. With the new Microsoft console regardless of whether its backward compatible or not I will sell my 360 as its a lot less compelling for me to keep it as its always been second place to the PS3 for me. That said I'm not really bothered if the PS3 and 360 are not supported anymore after their successors are released as I'm more interested in what the new consoles have to offer.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I agree that both Sony and Microsoft need to show support and their faith in their respective new consoles and therefore transfer their big AAA franchises to the new consoles. That not to say that they can't have a transition period where some if not all their games come out on both current and the future gen platforms. Sony in particular as always supported a 10 year life cycle for their consoles with both the PS One and PS2 following this plan. I would be surprised if they didn't follow this plan with the PS3.

Microsoft on the other hand discontinued the Xbox completely on the launch of the Xbox 360 and may well do the same with the 360. That said the 360 has been far more successful then the original Xbox and still could continue to be a good source of revenue. I think third parties may be torn between supporting the existing consoles and the new ones but again they may choose to make their games cross generation or develop some of their games for current gen and some for the future gen depending on what makes best business sense for them.

Personally I've typically always got rid of or packed away my old consoles when they are replaced with new ones. However I will have to keep my PS3 connected as I have a number games I own and will buy this year still to play on it. With the new Microsoft console regardless of whether its backward compatible or not I will sell my 360 as its a lot less compelling for me to keep it as its always been second place to the PS3 for me. That said I'm not really bothered if the PS3 and 360 are not supported anymore after their successors are released as I'm more interested in what the new consoles have to offer.

Yeah I completely agree.  I did sell my 360 and PS3 because just for my personal purposes they weren't being used anymore.  Other than Halo 4 and Uncharted 3 they didn't see any major use as I got all of the multiplats (Deus Ex, Skyrim, BF3, Portal2, etc) on PC.  If I can get some of those on Wii U and they are (obviously not on par) but comparable to the visual experience I get on PC with the added bonus of the gamepad, it'll go a long way in not having to upgrade my PC this year, as I was looking at a CPU and GPU upgrade in the near future (I have a PhenomII 965BE and 6870CF, was looking for Bulldozer successor and 7970).  I can actually spend some of that money on more games as they drop.

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

360 and PS3 are a long way from dead. Sony will use the ps3 for other markets like it did with the ps2, i.e. south america etc for many, many years. Microsoft only abandoned the original Xbox early because they were screwed over contractually by Nvidia who wouldn't reduce their royalty payments. I think 360, PS3 and wii u games will be jointly developed for quite a few years into the future as they both share powerpc architecture. Especially true if the PS4 and Xbox 720 don't sell the numbers hoped.

What will happen is the big ambitious game projects will gradually move other to PS4, Xbox 720 and PC and the less capable hardware will get less ambitious games.

I don't really care though. I'm always in catchup mode with many games I've not even started yet.

#16 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

I never really end up selling my old consoles in exchange for the new ones. I actually play my old consoles all the time, so I don't really see a point in selling them. There are a lot of new ps3 games coming out this year, and there are still a lot of games I have not gotten the chance to play yet. I have a feeling I will be playing my ps3 long after the ps4 comes out, mainly because I don't think I will have enough money to afford the console itself as well as games to go along with it.

Edited by Elric, 10 March 2013 - 11:08 AM.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#17 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I think 360, PS3 and wii u games will be jointly developed for quite a few years into the future as they both share powerpc architecture. 

I might be wrong here but i thought the PS3 had the odd ball custom chip and nothing like the 360 that was pretty much a PC? WiiU has been said to have much more in common with 720/PS4.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying the PS360 is about to die this week, i just think its the natural move that we are starting to see the decline. All three console makers will want to sell the new $£$ box as the others are pretty much maxed out sales wise per house hold, so hence first party stuff is now focused on the next gen consoles.

Posted Image

#18 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

I might be wrong here but i thought the PS3 had the odd ball custom chip and nothing like the 360 that was pretty much a PC? WiiU has been said to have much more in common with 720/PS4.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying the PS360 is about to die this week, i just think its the natural move that we are starting to see the decline. All three console makers will want to sell the new $£$ box as the others are pretty much maxed out sales wise per house hold, so hence first party stuff is now focused on the next gen consoles.

The Cell is based on one primary powerpc cpu with the additional mini-cpu spu's that support it. So still powerpc. It also has a nvidia gpu. The xbox 360 and wii u are much closer in technology and its much easier to cross develop on 360 and wii u from a hardware perspective. The wii u has absolutely nothing in common really with PS4 and 720. The cpu's in those are x86 based and the graphics processors are much later more powerful designs. When you average everything out the wii u, 360 and PS3 are about the same level of performance. No hard drive on wii u but faster optical drive and additional memory, weak cpu but more advanced gpu that requires less cpu resources, low memory bandwidth but additional 32MB high speed video memory. The 3 formats all have advantages and disadvantages compared to each other but PS4 and 720 are a generation apart from 360, PS3 and wii u in technology. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!