Photo

Sony hints the PS4 does contain a feature to block used games, but its up to pub

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

During a recent interview with Gamespot, the boss of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida discussed more details regarding the subject of used games and the PS4.

While in past interviews he stated the PS4 will not block used games, he teased the tech to do so does exist in the console itself. The feature would be entirely optional and left up to individual publishers to decide if they want to use it for their games. He also teased Sony would not be using this feature for any game they develop on the PS4.

The feature would work similar to the Online Pass system which uses activation codes as a way to "lock" a disc to an individual user or account but in a larger scale. Instead of just locking out the game's multiplayer, the entire game itself would be locked out if the game is detected as a used copy. His answer:

“It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.”

GameSpot says - 

"Now, this could mean two things. One, that publishers are obviously free to step up their existing online pass strategies to block more – or possibly all – game content from those who buy a pre-owned game without a code. The second option is that Sony HAS incorporated tech into the PS4 that allows publishers to distinguish between new and pre-owned games. It’s then up to them if they choose to utilize it."

Is this good or bad? Let us know in the comments.

http://www.screwatta...blishers-use-it

Oh wow, yikes.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hmm... This could potentially be a really bad thing, but I could see only a couple games actually using this feature. *shrugs*

#3 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

I wonder how many more stories will be made up about this....

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Dosn't really bother me, as I've said before, all my games are brand new so...

#5 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

This is Sony sugarcoating the fact that it indeed does not play used games. As with the demo limit on 3DS/Wii U being a publishers decision, most will enforce this.

#6 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

There really doesn't seem to be any confirmation one way or the other there, just some overly eager extrapolation from an offhand comment.  Sony wouldn't have to imcorporate tech into the PS4 to prevent used games from running.  If the publisher wanted to lock out any or all of the features of the game all they would have to do is require the game client contact a server (phone home) once it is started, determine if a game has been used on different hardware, then send an update to lock it out until a code is provided.  They already do that with the online features in some games on Gen 7 hardware. 

#7 dkrumble725

dkrumble725

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Fandom:
    Chrono Trigger, SMT, DKC, and alot more.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the blocking of used games on the PS4 was not true. I can't give you a source, but still, even Sony knows that would be a bad idea, and they've made pretty stupid decisions in the past. 

Posted Image
I SHALL PASS WITH RAMBI

#8 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

wow, what a way to brush that off onto the publishers...

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

if this is true then i dont think a lot of publishers will do it bc they should be smart enough to know it would hurt them more than help them.

#10 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

if this is true then i dont think a lot of publishers will do it bc they should be smart enough to know it would hurt them more than help them.

No, publishers would embrace it fully, at least the big names.

#11 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

That also means, most of the games, will force u be connected on the internet while u play...  There is no reason then to buy a crappy console that charge you for 70 euro per title, while u can get the same and with better features in ur pc, for 40....

thats a snicky move by sony.... if the developers want it....  so if someone buy a ps4, must always check the retail box, if internet connection is a mandatory feature... thats bad.  And it will be like, " its not our fault, its the developers fault.... "  The point is, who added this feature into the hardware from the first place.

Edited by Plutonas, 14 March 2013 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!