• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Pro Pizza! >:D

Pro Pizza! >:D

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Nintendo lost $300Million this year, their stocks are plummeting and the president of Nintendo got a 50% pay cut. Does this mean 1) Wii U will be expensive so Nintendo can recover & 2) will the wii u be affected in any way such as how much will be produced and # of wii u's available in stocks?

Edited by Nub cakes! :D, 29 July 2011 - 08:08 PM.

I'm Nub Cakes! :D and I approve this signature... Kinda! :D
R.I.P. Nub Cakes! :D
5/31/11- 12/6/11

#2 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Stock prices go up and down, so I'm not really worried about it(heck, if I had the money, I would probably buy some). Sony's stock has also dropped a bit recently, so it ain't just Nintendo.
Posted Image

#3 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

Nintendo are in some hard times right now, it should all pay off later though. I mean to be honest, things aren't going good for Nintendo right now. With poor sales for the 3DS, lacking sales for the Wii, and Iwata slashing the 3DS to $170 plus the %50 slash off his paycheck. That takes some real guts to cut your pay check in half, just to do better for the business. If I remember right he did that so the 3DS could sell better. That is also why the 3DS will soon be $170.

Iwata shouldn't worry though. With all of Nintendo's best sellers, like Mario coming out this year. Nintendo should sit and watch their sales sky rocket when the best games come out this/next year. Super Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7 3D, Kid Icarus, and Paper Mario (if it comes out this year), I would say they all look really promising and not to mention that there going to be fun.
Plus with all the hype for the Wii U, all Nintendo has to do is improve on what they failed with the 3DS, at launch.

So, all Nintendo has to do is keep working on their games and play the waiting game.

#4 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

They did kind of drop the ball, both with the Wii, this year, and the 3DS launch. It has been something of a drought for games on the Wii and not enough titles were available for the 3DS at launch. That left space for the minor criticisms of the hand-held system to grow and dominate any news about the 3DS. I find it hard to believe that there are very large numbers of people who get bad headaches from quite small amounts of time played on the device, but with almost no other news, this is what gets written about and somewhat exaggerates the extent of the problem, that doesn't help sales either.

Yet again, in both cases we see demonstrated the old adage; its the games that sell the machines.

Edited by Mukkinese, 30 July 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#5 juanpa899

juanpa899

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Fandom:
    EVERYTHING!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

I also heard nintendo is selling the 3DS at a loss...
Let's just hope the 3DS doesn't become a Virtual Boy

#6 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Let's just hope the 3DS doesn't become a Virtual Boy

I hope so too. I don't want to waste 250 smacks for nothing :P
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#7 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

They did kind of drop the ball, both with the Wii, this year, and the 3DS launch. It has been something of a drought for games on the Wii and not enough titles were available for the 3DS at launch. That left space for the minor criticisms of the hand-held system to grow and dominate any news about the 3DS. I find it hard to believe that there are very large numbers of people who get bad headaches from quite small amounts of time played on the device, but with almost no other news, this is what gets written about and somewhat exaggerates the extent of the problem,  that doesn't help sales either.

Yet again, in both cases we see demonstrated the old adage; its the games that sell the machines.

That's one of the problems with the media, the tend to exaggerate everything. I never felt sick at all while using my 3DS. My eyes were just a bit tired the first two days I had it and from then on I was fine. I let one of my friends play it and he felt a little bit dizzy after a long time of playing with it, but all of the other people I've shown it to had no problems whatsoever.

#8 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

Nintendo could be doing a sega. I really hope they dont.

#9 Pac-1234

Pac-1234

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

It will certainly affect the launch of the Wii U in one way or another. Either by changing the retail price or by offering/removing certain content; However, the though of Nintendo being in trouble is in itself blown out of proportion.Don't take literally everything you read. The media is not the definitive truth. As popular or famous some sites might be, they are not market analysts, it's just a bunch of people giving their opinion on the subject. It is also important to not confuse terms; "Losing profits" is not the same as "Income losses". Nintendo is not losing money, it is merely seeing a reduction in profits it already makes from sales.

Brief and dumb example: During the Wii hot-streak, Nintendo made $10.00 in profits per unit sold.
Today, the Wii sales give Nintendo ONLY $2.00 in profits per unit sold.
An 80% reduction in sales revenue!
An 80% loss in profits!
OVER 50% losses!

Is Nintendo losing money? Not exactly! They are only making less money. They ARE NOT losing money.

#10 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Huh? I don't know what you're talking about.

He means go third party.
Posted Image

#11 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

You guys have to take stuff like this seriously, I know what all of you are thinking right now "It's Nintendo, they've been around forever and they won't let this stop them, they've gotten through stuff like this for decades" You guys don't get that big companies come and go just like that, it's reality and Nintendo isn't immune to this reality. Get past the fanboy blindness and see what could happen if the Wii U fails or if the 3Ds doesn't get alot of sales after the price drop. Worst case scenario is that they don't profit from etheir system and this may be the last time we see hardware from them. You can't assure that in 50 years the same companies will be making consoles or that even video games are popular at all.

1367065580450s.jpg

#12 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

You guys have to take stuff like this seriously, I know what all of you are thinking right now "It's Nintendo, they've been around forever and they won't let this stop them, they've gotten through stuff like this for decades" You guys don't get that big companies come and go just like that, it's reality and Nintendo isn't immune to this reality. Get past the fanboy blindness and see what could happen if the Wii U fails or if the 3Ds doesn't get alot of sales after the price drop. Worst case scenario is that they don't profit from etheir system and this may be the last time we see hardware from them. You can't assure that in 50 years the same companies will be making consoles or that even video games are popular at all.

The important point is that Nintendo know that they've screwed up (hence the hefty pay cuts) even if their fans think they're perfect. I also think people aren't that worried because the Wii did blindingly well so they must still have some money left if the 3DS screws up however they won't be able to keep screwing up, they need another winner like the Wii.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#13 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

I honestly believe Nintendo will do fine. They are a business after all. They will continue having ups and downs no matter what happens.
Nintendo already has a huge footprint in the video gaming industry. So long as they continue making good products and keeping customer support, the sun will always shine.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#14 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

I honestly believe Nintendo will do fine. They are a business after all. They will continue having ups and downs no matter what happens.
Nintendo already has a huge footprint in the video gaming industry. So long as they continue making good products and keeping customer support, the sun will always shine.

This is what I'm talking about, you can't close you're eyes and expect to open them with everything fine.

1367065580450s.jpg

#15 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

Is Nintendo losing money? Not exactly! They are only making less money. They ARE NOT losing money.

No, they are losing money. The cost of the materials is ~$104, but the cost of manufacturing, shipping, advertising and similar things all add up, and then you have stores, which take $50+ of each product sold...

They're not losing much money, but they are most certainly losing money.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#16 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

This is what I'm talking about, you can't close you're eyes and expect to open them with everything fine.

Well lets see, when they still have a giantic amount of cash from the Wii and DS, I don't think that they are going to fail

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#17 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Well lets see, when they still have a giantic amount of cash from the Wii and DS, I don't think that they are going to fail

This. With all of the money Nintendo made from the DS and Wii, I don't think they will fail. All they have to do is get those great games to launch. :(

#18 Pac-1234

Pac-1234

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

No, they are losing money. The cost of the materials is ~$104, but the cost of manufacturing, shipping, advertising and similar things all add up, and then you have stores, which take $50+ of each product sold...

They're not losing much money, but they are most certainly losing money.

Yes, you are correct. I posted this before the price of manufacturing costs were affected by the price cut. But yeah, you're right; Nintendo is losing as of now some money. Not a lot though.

#19 shinycollector

shinycollector

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

Some people are just not optimistic.....

#20 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

Some people are just not optimistic.....

It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty. It's still just a glass with liquid inside, but it could have more and it could have less.
Sometimes we just have to face reality...

Edited by brian6330, 05 August 2011 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!