Photo

Just Cause 2 Devs: PS4 will out power PC for years to come.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'd like to see the PS4 beat my PC with 3 GTX Titan GPUs . 

Hahaha OMG I was about to post a Pic of a GTX Titan and go "Oh Hai!"

Edited by Penguin101, 11 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#22 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

BA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Man just cause two devs are real pachters!
I can see it doing some good things but it will not out power my i7 3.6 GHZ CPU with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 GPU that can do 2.7 Terraflops and it will not touch my 32 gigs of RAM.

Isn't 32 gigs of RAM a little overkill? I thought the PS4's 8 gigs was more than enough.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#23 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Isn't 32 gigs of RAM a little overkill? I thought the PS4's 8 gigs was more than enough.

8 GB is more than enough for what developers can afford to create at this point.  They won't get that full 8GB to run game code on though.

32GB can be overkill, depending on the setup, but that system RAM on PC is not being used the same way.  The VRAM is more important for rendering.

#24 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

No, they mean PC as a game platform.  What PC is capable of is dependent on each individual hardware configuration, but the PS4 couldn't compete with the power of a mainstream gaming PC.

will out-power most PC’s for years to come."

Most PC's aren't gaming platforms thooooooooo. 

Gaming PC =/= PC.

#25 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

will out-power most PC’s for years to come."

Most PC's aren't gaming platforms thooooooooo. 

Gaming PC =/= PC.

Ok.

If you're going to go with that, what did he actually say, and what did he mean?

If we are going to read the comment literally "will out-power most PC's for years to come" let us look at the verb here, out-power.  Out power how?  Computing performance?  After all most PC's aren't built specifically to play games, they are built to do a variety of tasks.  Let's assume he means out-power hardware wise, regardless of task.

The PS4 cannot out power the average home computer computationally, either.  Even basic, mainstream PC's come with much more powerful CPU's, and mainstream GPU's are also stronger than the PS4's GPU (referring to the "mainstream" price point for GPU's, which happen to sell the most as well).  So it can't win computationally.

So knowing that, maybe he meant that PS4 will outpower most PC's for years to come with regards to gaming.  In order to do that he would have to be referring to the lowest common denominator, the lowest possible spec capable of running a particular game at minimum settings.

That still leads me to believe that he is either ignorant, biased, or disingenuous.  He may be ignorant and not understand that people who buy PC's to play games on by and large already have machines that outpower the PS4 (you can look at Steam statistics for this).  He may be biased and just wants to show his enthusiasm for the new platform, and didn't really think before he spoke, but thinking back understands how the comment could be seen in a negative way.  He could also be disingenuous, meaning he knows that people don't buy modest PC's to play games on, because it isn't an enjoyable experience, and that most PC gamers have PC's that outpower PS4 but intentionally referred to the lowest common denominator in order to again, hype the system to ignorant fans many of whom will believe the comment out of hand.

Either way, his comment is completely false.  

#26 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Ok.

If you're going to go with that, what did he actually say, and what did he mean?

If we are going to read the comment literally "will out-power most PC's for years to come" let us look at the verb here, out-power.  Out power how?  Computing performance?  After all most PC's aren't built specifically to play games, they are built to do a variety of tasks.  Let's assume he means out-power hardware wise, regardless of task.

The PS4 cannot out power the average home computer computationally, either.  Even basic, mainstream PC's come with much more powerful CPU's, and mainstream GPU's are also stronger than the PS4's GPU (referring to the "mainstream" price point for GPU's, which happen to sell the most as well).  So it can't win computationally.

So knowing that, maybe he meant that PS4 will outpower most PC's for years to come with regards to gaming.  In order to do that he would have to be referring to the lowest common denominator, the lowest possible spec capable of running a particular game at minimum settings.

That still leads me to believe that he is either ignorant, biased, or disingenuous.  He may be ignorant and not understand that people who buy PC's to play games on by and large already have machines that outpower the PS4 (you can look at Steam statistics for this).  He may be biased and just wants to show his enthusiasm for the new platform, and didn't really think before he spoke, but thinking back understands how the comment could be seen in a negative way.  He could also be disingenuous, meaning he knows that people don't buy modest PC's to play games on, because it isn't an enjoyable experience, and that most PC gamers have PC's that outpower PS4 but intentionally referred to the lowest common denominator in order to again, hype the system to ignorant fans many of whom will believe the comment out of hand.

Either way, his comment is completely false.  

I guess you're right.... 

#27 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Its all just word play, by saying "ps4 will outperform pc's for years to come" is a very general statement. It hooks those who dont know any better and the fanboys, but has no weight to those who know tech and gaming and are a multiplatform gamers. This is much like how government works as well, but save that for a more appropriate thread :P

#28 Joshua West

Joshua West

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Fire Emblem

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Misinformation like this is how the uneducated PS4 fanboyism starts

Brace yourselves

#29 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums