Photo

Does having downloaded games make my wii u more valuable?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

Im not selling, dont worry, im just downloading need for speed :0 and i just wandered if that made my console worth more?

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

Well, seeing as games are linked to the system and not to the account, then yes, it should make it technically worth more.

Look at the Ambassador 3DS systems on eBay for example. Those things go for a lot more than the 3DS systems without the Ambassador titles.

Added after a few minutes: I will say that the value of said downloaded game is probably dependent on how much the physical copy of the game costs. Yeah, I know the downloadable version costs $60 digitally, but if they can buy a physical copy for $30...well, you see where I'm going with this.

Edited by GameCollector, 24 March 2013 - 06:37 AM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

GameCollector, on 24 Mar 2013 - 15:31, said:Well, seeing as games are linked to the system and not to the account, then yes, it should make it technically worth more.
Look at the Ambassador 3DS systems on eBay for example. Those things go for a lot more than the 3DS systems without the Ambassador titles.
Added after a few minutes: I will say that the value of said downloaded game is probably dependent on how much the physical copy of the game costs. Yeah, I know the downloadable version costs $60 digitally, but if they can buy a physical copy for $30...well, you see where I'm going with this.

that makes sence, but when people start selling them off in a few years it will be intersting to see what all these new consoles with massive hard drives full of games, actually sell for.

#4 Rockalot

Rockalot

Blooper

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

I never considered that but yeah I guess. That doesn't seem right though, I mean what if something happened to my console and I got a new one, would I have to re-purchase all my downloaded games etc?

Posted Image

#5 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

I never considered that but yeah I guess. That doesn't seem right though, I mean what if something happened to my console and I got a new one, would I have to re-purchase all my downloaded games etc?

Yes you would, Nintendo's poorly designed account system links purchases to the console and not the account.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#6 Tacomywaffles

Tacomywaffles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm guessing Nintendo can somehow link the console to what has been downloaded. 

So in theory if you send in your broken console and they have to replace it with a new one, they can "unlock" those games on the e-shop for the new consle so you can redownload them for free.

if they do it like that is another question though.

but i highly doubt they will leave you empty handed. that doesnt sound like nintendo at all.

#7 Alii

Alii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • NNID:zangoose
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing / Kirby / Pokemon

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Downloaded MH3U on my Wii U and its not 110% more valuable then it was,

This goes the same with my Ambassador 3DS and my friends 3DSXL,Even with the bigger screen and more battery,To me my 3ds seems a lot more valuable with 20+ games on it.

small_zpsfe204a57.jpg

#8 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Not really no, the price of the games will go down over time as will the console, the only way it would be worth more is if there was some game you had downloaded on it that was something spectacular but did not sell that many copies, in the past there have been a number of games that were very good but did not sell that well, these games are now sort after by collectors, the chances anything like this will happen now though is pretty remote, the only difference with the Ambassador 3DS is that these games are only available on Ambassador enabled consoles, if Nintendo did a ambassador program for the WiiU & you had them then maybe it would be worth more.

I myself would rather have a physical copy of the game because after a while i can sell it, unless it is something of a classic or i really like the game.

#9 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

It`s more valuable. But, like with any game on the side, it`s value will fluctuate with time as game`s prices go down.

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

I bet you that the game shops won't consider this if you trade your Wii U in though, tight buggers.

#11 McMurphy

McMurphy

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • NNID:McMurphy
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart, Dragon Quest

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

If you sell your Wii U console on Craig's List or Ebay, then, yeah, probably so because it would be up to you to reformat the system. By most reports, user-end reformatting will not erase the ability for the next owner to re-download your digital purchases.

However, retailers such as Gamestop have amended their trade-in policies. They now ship off the consoles to refurbishing plants to do a more advance wiping of the harddrive so prior owner digital purchases are not accessible. In this situation, no, your console will not be more valuable. Besides, retailers won't make a distinction in how much they would give you, regardless.

gunslinger_nintendowiiu_banner2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!