• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Mature games is one of those terms that needs to be redefined. The rating on the box rarely has anything to due to mental/emotional maturity. 

If anything the opposite is true. The more swearing & ridiculous violence the younger it's target audience.

Playing 18-rated Call Of Duty with it's ridiculously gravelly voices and rubbish macho banters it's the kind of thing would have appealed to me when I was twelve. Then I go online and hear kids being told that they can have one more go and then it's bed time. Mature, really?

It takes a person secure in their maturity to unashamedly enjoy a Mario game, accepting the cuteness and appreciating the amazing game mechanics.

Ultimately the idea of the Nintendo as a kids company is misplaced as titles like Mario and Zelda tend to attract mature gamers who want well designed classics rather than 3rd rate actions films knock-offs. 

Both Mario Galaxy and Assassins Creed can be considered mature games.  

#2 Alii

Alii

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • NNID:zangoose
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing / Kirby / Pokemon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Erm .. Sorry but no.

I don't think the maturity rating really means true maturity but for 18+ older player,

And not acceptable for younger people,Nothing to do with emotional maturity and in depth things;;

small_zpsfe204a57.jpg

#3 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

It's a legal term taken on by gamers, IMO nothing more.

Edited by Penguin101, 24 March 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#4 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I hate that at school they bash me saying that I'm a nerd for liking 'kiddie' things like Nintendo. They say Xbox and COD is 'where it's at' and is 'more mature than anything' although I went on my Xbox and heard them screaming swear words and crying over team killing and camping. Losers, lol.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#5 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

It's a legal term taken on by gamers, IMO nothing more.

Erm .. Sorry but no.

I don't think the maturity rating really means true maturity but for 18+ older player,

And not acceptable for younger people,Nothing to do with emotional maturity and in depth things;;

Sorry but I obviously wasn't clear enough, I'm more talking about the term 'Mature games" not the rating system.

#6 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

i wouldn't say that Mario Galaxy is a mature game, just because adults (people over 18) like to play it doesn't make it a adult game.

#7 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

i wouldn't say that Mario Galaxy is a mature game, just because adults (people over 18) like to play it doesn't make it a adult game.

Although I wouldn't say it's a kids title. It's has universal appeal.

#8 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I can't really think of many games that are truly mature and deal with more complex issues, that would appeal to a 34-year old like me. Most games feel like they are made to appeal to 12-year-olds or younger PLUS us old-timers. A lot of them appeal to me too, of course, but not in a "mature" way.

#9 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I can't really think of many games that are truly mature and deal with more complex issues, that would appeal to a 34-year old like me. Most games feel like they are made to appeal to 12-year-olds or younger PLUS us old-timers. A lot of them appeal to me too, of course, but not in a "mature" way.

I'm 32 and that is so very true. 

Sadly I suspect this might be a reflection of not just the audience but the people designing these games. 

Video games are a fairly new genre with a similar culture to comic books. It wasn't until Alan Moore etc that that comics grew up.

#10 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

what hapens is that parents dont pay attention to the rating system and then get pissed off that their kids are imitating the game but instead of sitting their kids down and telling them right from wrong, the btch at the company and ruin it for everyone else bc apparently according to the parents, its up to the media to control and raise their kids, not them. why should they have to raise their kids when the media is there and is a great scapegoat for bad parenting? 

#11 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'm 32 and that is so very true. 

Sadly I suspect this might be a reflection of not just the audience but the people designing these games. 

Video games are a fairly new genre with a similar culture to comic books. It wasn't until Alan Moore etc that that comics grew up.

The comparison to comic books is very good. One of the more artful and "mature" games for the Wii was actually No More Heroes. I understand that a 12-year-old can enjoy it for the action, but I really liked the deeper comments on gaming in general and the purpose and role of the "video game (anti-)hero". But it's still a closer equivalent to a Tarantino film than a Bergman film, so to speak...

#12 Kao

Kao

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Ernitis
  • Fandom:
    Kao the Kangaroo

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

what hapens is that parents dont pay attention to the rating system and then get pissed off that their kids are imitating the game but instead of sitting their kids down and telling them right from wrong, the btch at the company and ruin it for everyone else bc apparently according to the parents, its up to the media to control and raise their kids, not them. why should they have to raise their kids when the media is there and is a great scapegoat for bad parenting? 

Thank you! I recently downloaded Star Wars: Battlefront II (kind of secretly), and your post made me confess to mom and in front of her I deleted the game. Thank you very much for understanding that I need to have premission, and that they know what to do! The ending was that, mom was proud that I confessed and deleted the game!

Hello! My name is Kao and I am a Kangaroo! If you can see my kicking picture there, you can see me riding one of mine friends! I am quite popular in the area because I saved alot of animals turning in to women accsesories. It was quite painfull on the way, but I liked the experience! I plan on buying a plane with all my money I got and going on an adventure on the isles. My first adventure was when that Mcguffin Hunter cought me, but I escaped, and I don't want to let any animal in pain! What's your story, mate?

-Kao the kangaroo

#13 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Are you confusing Mature with Hardcore?

#14 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Are you confusing Mature with Hardcore?

But Call Of Duty ans Xbox rock and r hardcore mirite?

Here's the proof

xbox-swag-fest.jpg

And cod has the best community. Here's a member.

mqdefault.jpg

#15 TotalSynthesisX

TotalSynthesisX

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo, Smash Bros., Metroid, Mass Effect

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Call of Duty

Target audience: Adults

Actual audience: Children

Super Mario

Target audience: Children

Actual audience: Adults

I'm not saying there are no exceptions, but that's essentially the gist of it. I'll be turning 20 years old in two months and I proudly say I love Mario games, and Nintendo games as a whole. I still love playing Halo, Mass Effect, and Battlefield, however. Not CoD though. CoD can GTFO.

Nail on the head, Cozmo.

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

But Call Of Duty ans Xbox rock and r hardcore mirite?

Here's the proof

xbox-swag-fest.jpg

And cod has the best community. Here's a member.

mqdefault.jpg

What are you even talking about?

#17 bigbadwolfe911

bigbadwolfe911

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

I would agree that a better term would be hardcore games and casual games, more so than mature or immature. Personally I consider myself a casual hardcore gamer in that I love games, and don't know that I would say I am a fan of one company more than the other, but being I have been playing Nintendo since I was a kid Nintendo always wins my nostalgic vote. But currently I have Wii U, 3DS XL, PS3, Vita, Xbox 360, and an iPad. So I bounce from system to system currently with Wii U being the newest if a game I want comes out on it that will be system of choice. And generally I go PS3 over 360, as my 360 is primarily used for Kinect games these days.

But with that said I will get back to the topic at hand, I claim that I am a casual hardcore gamer, because I love games of all sorts. I don't consider myself hardcore for two reasons, 1) I don't generally spend a ton of time gaming as I have other interests and responsibilities, and 2) I am not the best gamer, I love gaming but that does not make me a great player. So the games I do play I don't aim for record scores or time breaking records. I just play it for e un and really take in the game and enjoy all it has to offer as such I tend to be very thorough aka slow. For instance ZombiU best game I have played in a long time I am currently on last level and at about 85 survivors. But each if their lives brought some joy into mine, so I just keep plugging away.

As for games being hardcore or casual, I think it is really how you play them that truly defines the category. For instance Call of Duty games, I personally prefer offline play because I like to play at my own pace and not have children or adults acting like children spouting off all kinds of filth because they have no accountability to the other people they are playing with. And even outside of language you getting people going around and shooting their teammates just for the heck of it, which can be fun but again it comes down to how your playing. As for games like Mario a lot of the levels and obstacles can be pretty difficult but usually you can bypass these difficulties if you choose, so again how you play is what decides hardcore or casual. And most games can be picked up and played by a 5 year old who will figure it out to some extent pretty quickly, but they will not be getting the same thing from the gameplay as someone playing through with more understanding.

So it's not the bright colors, the happy music, the cartoon characters, the blood, the violence, and ect. It all comes down to how the game is played.

#18 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Thank you! I recently downloaded Star Wars: Battlefront II (kind of secretly), and your post made me confess to mom and in front of her I deleted the game. Thank you very much for understanding that I need to have premission, and that they know what to do! The ending was that, mom was proud that I confessed and deleted the game!

Battlefront II isn't a violent game, if you've seen the Star Wars movies your parents have nothing to worry about.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#19 Kao

Kao

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Ernitis
  • Fandom:
    Kao the Kangaroo

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Battlefront II isn't a violent game, if you've seen the Star Wars movies your parents have nothing to worry about.

Yes, but, it still has voilence that messes MY head. Maybe for others it is not, but for me it does. :(

Hello! My name is Kao and I am a Kangaroo! If you can see my kicking picture there, you can see me riding one of mine friends! I am quite popular in the area because I saved alot of animals turning in to women accsesories. It was quite painfull on the way, but I liked the experience! I plan on buying a plane with all my money I got and going on an adventure on the isles. My first adventure was when that Mcguffin Hunter cought me, but I escaped, and I don't want to let any animal in pain! What's your story, mate?

-Kao the kangaroo

#20 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Yes, but, it still has voilence that messes MY head. Maybe for others it is not, but for me it does. :(

That's very honest of you. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!