• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

The latest edition of MCV magazine states that Wii U sales in the United Kingdom rose by almost 125 percent last week, according to retailers. The dramatic sales boost was due to the launch of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, plus HMV slashing the price of the Wii U Premium console with Nintendo Land and ZombiU by £140.

http://mynintendonew...cent-last-week/

That means wii U sold as much as the prev weeks in global sales, only in the Uk... thats a huge improvement.

Edited by Plutonas, 28 March 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

POPULAR

The magic of having a game on your console.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

And we have Lego City, Monster Hunter and NFS to thank for it, maybe this will finally convince the doubters here that the Wii U isn't doomed as long as it has good games.

Spoiler

Edited by VGCrasher, 28 March 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#4 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

There we go, there we go! Finally some good news! And once Pikmin 3 releases, sales everywhere will increase.

#5 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

So, where are the doom and gloom people who were doubting the Wii U yesterday? This is just more proof that the Wii U simply needs games to sell. (And a price drop doesn't hurt either.)

#6 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

The magic of having a game on your console.

Pure gold

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

in related news monster hunter is in the uk's top 10.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

How can HMV slash the price by £140 unless either they are selling at a loss to get rid of them or Nintendo have sold them stock at a much reduced price. It's a huge kick in the teeth to early adopters who may have paid up to £350 for the same package.

Should we expect to see the basic wii u's going for £149 or even £129 soon?

However you spin it this is not good. The original wii had people waiting for stock at full price long after launch but now even at close to half price sales are sluggish.

This seems like the N64 all over again. Launched in the UK at £250 it was a total failure, dropped to something like £150 in a month or so. Spent most its life at £80-100 as a budget console.

I do wish I'd waited before buying a wii u. I got a wii u premium for effectively £250 with tekken and sonic transformed after trading in nintendo land immediately and using as many vouchers and discounts as I could. I was happy with that price but it looks like only months later I could have saved a considerable amount of money. I also believe the price drop hasn't stopped yet.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

Desert Punk, on 28 Mar 2013 - 23:35, said:How can HMV slash the price by £140 unless either they are selling at a loss to get rid of them or Nintendo have sold them stock at a much reduced price. It's a huge kick in the teeth to early adopters who may have paid up to £350 for the same package.
However you spin it this is not good. The original wii had people waiting for stock at full price long after launch but now even at close to half price sales are sluggish.
This seems like the N64 all over again. Launched in the UK at £250 it was a total failure, dropped to something like £150 in a month or so. Spent most its life at £80-100 as a budget console.
I do wish I'd waited before buying a wii u. I got a wii u premium for effectively £250 with tekken and sonic transformed after trading in nintendo land immediately and using as many vouchers and discounts as I could. I was happy with that price but it looks like only months later I could have saved a considerable amount of money. I also believe the price drop hasn't stopped yet.

Yeah, people shouldnt early adopt unless they are aware stuff like this can, and nearly always does happen, and are ok with it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't always happen unless the console is performing very poorly at retail. The wii maintained its price for quite a long time as did the 360. The price drop of the wii u is quite staggering, its like buying a 360 at £280 at launch only to be available a few months later for £170. This is actually quite rare for such a huge price drop. It's clear retail is saturated with wii u stock that isn't selling. The cynic in me believes Nintendo have released low price stock to HMV so it appears to be price cut due to HMV's financial situation rather than an official price cut by Nintendo.

The thing is retailers don't want wii u stock if its not going to sell so its difficult for Nintendo to hold their price if no retailer will buy stock at that price. Once retailers remove the wii u from stock they are less likely to restock it. Nintendo are in a very dangerous situation.

Nintendo really need to get some big games to retail asap if they hope to maintain current pricing of the console.

#11 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

I'm happy the sales picked up but a bit miffed that i paid full launch price in feb :unsure:

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

How can HMV slash the price by £140 unless either they are selling at a loss to get rid of them or Nintendo have sold them stock at a much reduced price. It's a huge kick in the teeth to early adopters who may have paid up to £350 for the same package.

HMV are going out of business, they need to move their stock as fast as they can.

Taking a loss on some old stock to move it is better than keepign that stock for another month or two.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Lots of other retailers have had big discounts too, zavvi, grainger, amazon, asda, the hut,  shopto, gamestop, argos, simplygames etc. HMV has been the cheapest but many have sold the premium model for close to £200 which is a £100 less than the full launch price.

The HMV offer is still on instore but even looking online you see simplygames are doing it for £230.

http://www.simplygam...-Nintendo-Wii-U

and they don't even mention it as an offer.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Lots of other retailers have had big discounts too, zavvi, grainger, amazon, asda, the hut,  shopto, gamestop, argos, simplygames etc. HMV has been the cheapest but many have sold the premium model for close to £200 which is a £100 less than the full launch price.

The HMV offer is still on instore but even looking online you see simplygames are doing it for £230.

http://www.simplygam...-Nintendo-Wii-U

and they don't even mention it as an offer.

Interesting, I wonder if Nintendo worked behind the scenes to get the UK prices in line with the rest of the world.

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

20% VAT in the UK so £230 is £190 approx before sales tax or about $290 in US money before sale tax.

When it launched at £300 I think the dollar exchange was something like 1.62 or 1.64 so about $500 including sales tax.

Edited by Desert Punk, 29 March 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

20% VAT in the UK so £230 is £190 approx before sales tax or about $290 in US money before sale tax.

When it launched at £300 I think the dollar exchange was something like 1.62 or 1.64 so about $500 including sales tax.

Yeah $500 is ridiculous.  They should never have been charging that amount.  20% VAT is downright abusive.  Why you guys put up with that crap is beyond me.

#17 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Good games (advertised) + Easter Break + Price Cuts show the way.

Summer holidays should help. 

#18 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm glad that it's starting to catch on there :) Hooray :laugh:

Desert Punk, on 28 Mar 2013 - 23:35, said:How can HMV slash the price by £140 unless either they are selling at a loss to get rid of them or Nintendo have sold them stock at a much reduced price. It's a huge kick in the teeth to early adopters who may have paid up to £350 for the same package.

Yeah, people shouldnt early adopt unless they are aware stuff like this can, and nearly always does happen, and are ok with it.

That totally reminds me of the 3DS lol.

So, where are the doom and gloom people who were doubting the Wii U yesterday? This is just more proof that the Wii U simply needs games to sell. (And a price drop doesn't hurt either.)

Yep without a proper arguement they ditched the thread LMAO

Edited by Poison, 29 March 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#19 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yeah $500 is ridiculous. They should never have been charging that amount. 20% VAT is downright abusive. Why you guys put up with that crap is beyond me.

We don't have a choice.

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

We don't have a choice.

sucks