Photo

Director's Cuts/Game of the Year editions can save the Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Ive been thinking over this after i finished Bioshock Infinite, by the way, AMAZING game! If you didn't at least try it you're really missing out.  After watching the end credits I looked onto other articles about Kevin Levine and Wii U, he didn't say he wasn't interested but he didn't say it won't be coming to the system either, he even said it was up and running but really wanted to finish Bioshock Infinite on other platforms, (Oh how he finished it alright, off with a bang.)

He also said that ports would hurt the Wii U badly, he wants to invest time on the controller so developers won't look bad like adding a simple quick touch mechanic but more stuff to it.

And there have been other editions to Wii U,  Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition / Armored Edition, and now with Deus Ex Directors cut, maybe its a good thing? Like if Irrational Games made "Bioshock Infinite: AMERICA! F@CK YEAH edition" only for Wii U with all the DLC and insane stuff like what the Deus Ex Wii U version is having. Heck maybe our good friends from Australia who ported Mass Effect 3 & Deus Ex can do it for us.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Playing Infinite now, it's incredible.

#3 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Here's to hoping we get Skyrim: GOTY Edition on Wii U.

Posted Image

#4 Nick Ellingworth

Nick Ellingworth

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Whilst it is great that the Wii U is getting these definitive editions of recent games I think that it could be something of a mixed blessing. Yes getting the best version of major titles is a good thing but with the delay between the usual PC/PS3/Xbox360 editions and the Wii U one it makes the system look like it's lagging behind. Of course a quick dirty port which doesn't make the best use of the system is even more damaging as it does nothing to show the sort of unique gaming experience the Wii U is capable of producing. Really it's a sort of damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

i have been left horribly horribly dissapointed by infinite.

Yet another fantastic adventure game franchise turned into simply gunning down wave after wave of enemies. Thanks cod.

Its really frusterating because of how gorgeous and intriguing columbia is. But its nothing more than a pretty background after the first hour.

What a waste.

And the story is cringeworthy bad, completely missing the appeal of the first bioshock. No wonder someone tried to leave the company over it.

But no, late ports, even 'definitive ones' arent going to save the wii u.

Heavy hitting exclusives like x will. And the sooner they get here, the sooner this ship will turn around.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

Here's to hoping we get Skyrim: GOTY Edition on Wii U.

Here's hoping not.

Whilst it is great that the Wii U is getting these definitive editions of recent games I think that it could be something of a mixed blessing. Yes getting the best version of major titles is a good thing but with the delay between the usual PC/PS3/Xbox360 editions and the Wii U one it makes the system look like it's lagging behind. Of course a quick dirty port which doesn't make the best use of the system is even more damaging as it does nothing to show the sort of unique gaming experience the Wii U is capable of producing. Really it's a sort of damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

I agree with you for the most part. Personally I'm sick of ports of already released games whether they are basic versions with tacked on Gamepad functions or special/director's cut/GOTY editions. What we need is either new exclusive games or multi platform games released at the same time as the other versions.

Ive been thinking over this after i finished Bioshock Infinite, by the way, AMAZING game! If you didn't at least try it you're really missing out.  After watching the end credits I looked onto other articles about Kevin Levine and Wii U, he didn't say he wasn't interested but he didn't say it won't be coming to the system either, he even said it was up and running but really wanted to finish Bioshock Infinite on other platforms, (Oh how he finished it alright, off with a bang.)

He also said that ports would hurt the Wii U badly, he wants to invest time on the controller so developers won't look bad like adding a simple quick touch mechanic but more stuff to it.

And there have been other editions to Wii U,  Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition / Armored Edition, and now with Deus Ex Directors cut, maybe its a good thing? Like if Irrational Games made "Bioshock Infinite: AMERICA! F@CK YEAH edition" only for Wii U with all the DLC and insane stuff like what the Deus Ex Wii U version is having. Heck maybe our good friends from Australia who ported Mass Effect 3 & Deus Ex can do it for us.

I think you mean Ken Levine. I also don't agree as I mentioned earlier that we need ports even special editions. Resources should be spent on developing new exclusives and multi platform games.

#7 nothinglost

nothinglost

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

I would love as many Director's Cut/GOTY Edition ports as possible!!

Personally, as a gamer who has never owned a 360 or a PS3 I will welcome all Ports with welcome arms simply because I have never even had the opportunity to play any of them.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this category....

Went straight from Gamecube/PS2 to Wii and then on to Wii U.

#8 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

I don't want developers to get into the habit of porting to Wii U as an afterthought games that have already had a long shelf life.  Either release it side by side with other platforms or don't at all for the most part.

I do, however, welcome developers who want to get their experience and "chops" on the Wii U as a platform by recreating and improving games they have already released.  This also allows them to test the Wii U install base to see what kind of games are going to sell well to the Wii U crowd and what won't.  Because it is a port and most of the heavy lifting has been done to create those games and the engines they run on, it's a low risk way of putting an initial offering on the platform.  At the same time, though, they can't expect mega sales on year old titles either.

#9 nothinglost

nothinglost

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

^^^ Exactly dude.

#10 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I would like for some original games to come to the Wii U, not just "Directors Cut" editions.

#11 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Personally, as a gamer who has never owned a 360 or a PS3 I will welcome all Ports with welcome arms simply because I have never even had the opportunity to play any of them.

I disagree. If you want to play those games then you should buy a PS3 or 360. They are cheap enough. I already own both and have played or can play the games I want on them. I don't want the Wii U inundated with the same games just because developers and publishers are too lazy or don't want to invest the money in new games. That's not what I bought a Wii U for.

#12 nothinglost

nothinglost

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I disagree. If you want to play those games then you should buy a PS3 or 360. They are cheap enough. I already own both and have played or can play the games I want on them. I don't want the Wii U inundated with the same games just because developers and publishers are too lazy or don't want to invest the money in new games. That's not what I bought a Wii U for.

So let's agree to disagree. ;)

I here what you are saying but honestly I don't want to own any other consoles.

I want Nintendo to get my money because of their philosophy on customer service and quality products.

I was burned by Sony years ago and I refuse to buy their consoles/handhelds and I just flat out don't enjoy Microsoft products at all. Including PC software.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything lame like that. Hehehe... Just merely stating my thoughts on the matter.

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

So let's agree to disagree. ;)

I here what you are saying but honestly I don't want to own any other consoles.

I want Nintendo to get my money because of their philosophy on customer service and quality products.

I was burned by Sony years ago and I refuse to buy their consoles/handhelds and I just flat out don't enjoy Microsoft products at all. Including PC software.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything lame like that. Hehehe... Just merely stating my thoughts on the matter.

Fair enough. We will have to agree to disagree.

#14 nothinglost

nothinglost

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Fair enough. We will have to agree to disagree.

Well good. Hehehehe.... ;)

Anyways.... Good games (whether ports or not) are always a good thing.

So bring on the 3rd Party & Indie Support!!!!! Woohoo!!!

#15 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Im in the same boat, I never bought a PS3 or 360.  There was always plenty for me to play on Wii, and by the time things started to get pretty thin, the Wii U was just around the corner.  I became addicited to Call of Duty for a couple of years on Wii, both Black ops and MW3 gave me over 100 hours of gameplay online.  So when Wii U was announced to have Black Ops 2 at launch, I was pretty jacked up.  I love the Wii Remote and Chuk controls.  I am finnally burnt out of COD, but it was definately a day one for me to play COD with Wii Remote and Chuk controls at 60fps. 

As for the Directors Cut ports, I am good with them as long as they are improved versions and cap the price at $40-50.  This is a fine for Wii U's first year.  As time goes on, these late ports can expect less and less support from gamers.  Sales expectations need to be kept in check as well.  For a late arrival game on a new console with a low install base 250k in sales would be exceptional, and anything over 100k would have to be considered acceptable.  By releasing these ports they can start to build a fanbase on the platform.  So even if a port doesnt sell that well, it at least starts to get some sort of base following for that game on the platform.  For example, maybe Deux Ex only sells 100-200k, but then if they make a sequel to release a year later, the chance of success is that much better because you already have a base of gamers to work off of.  Its all about creating a market for your future titles on the platform.  There are rumors that a Xenoblade port may be coming to Wii U.  This makes sense because the cost to port the game is very low, but this will help create a consumer acceptance of a future Xenoblade. 

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Im in the same boat, I never bought a PS3 or 360.  There was always plenty for me to play on Wii, and by the time things started to get pretty thin, the Wii U was just around the corner.  I became addicited to Call of Duty for a couple of years on Wii, both Black ops and MW3 gave me over 100 hours of gameplay online.  So when Wii U was announced to have Black Ops 2 at launch, I was pretty jacked up.  I love the Wii Remote and Chuk controls.  I am finnally burnt out of COD, but it was definately a day one for me to play COD with Wii Remote and Chuk controls at 60fps. 

As for the Directors Cut ports, I am good with them as long as they are improved versions and cap the price at $40-50.  This is a fine for Wii U's first year.  As time goes on, these late ports can expect less and less support from gamers.  Sales expectations need to be kept in check as well.  For a late arrival game on a new console with a low install base 250k in sales would be exceptional, and anything over 100k would have to be considered acceptable.  By releasing these ports they can start to build a fanbase on the platform.  So even if a port doesnt sell that well, it at least starts to get some sort of base following for that game on the platform.  For example, maybe Deux Ex only sells 100-200k, but then if they make a sequel to release a year later, the chance of success is that much better because you already have a base of gamers to work off of.  Its all about creating a market for your future titles on the platform.  There are rumors that a Xenoblade port may be coming to Wii U.  This makes sense because the cost to port the game is very low, but this will help create a consumer acceptance of a future Xenoblade. 

BLOPS2 has over 200K sales on Wii U.  If the reviewers didn't harp on an imperceptible framerate drop (I still haven't seen it) it may have sold better, because it really is the best version of the game.  First party titles are going to sell the systems though.

Why would they port Xenoblade if you can already play it natively?  I could understand a rerealease but not a port.

Edited by routerbad, 29 March 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#17 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

There are a few of these games I would like, Skyrim, Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioshock (any of 'em) and many many more.

I never bought a 360 or PS3 becuase I didn't want to. And playing games on the PC is not the same. Many games appeal to me from the 360 and PS3's past, releasing cheap ports (even if just eshop) will surely help?

Bring the noise.

#18 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

how is ports of old games going to get people who do not have a WiiU to go out & buy one, if people are interested in the games mentioned they will most likely of got them on either a X360 or PS3.

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

I agree with my friend Dragon, I'd love TES V Skyrim GOTY Edition, maybe a Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition too? I missed that game and it looks awesome :D

#20 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

There are a few of these games I would like, Skyrim, Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioshock (any of 'em) and many many more.
I never bought a 360 or PS3 becuase I didn't want to. And playing games on the PC is not the same. Many games appeal to me from the 360 and PS3's past, releasing cheap ports (even if just eshop) will surely help?

That's a poor not to mention unjustifiable reason why you would want them to come to the Wii U. Just because you didn't want to buy a PS3 or 360. If you wanted to play those games so badly you should have bought one of those consoles. At the end of the day people don't realise not every game is coming to every console and ports of already released games shouldn't be the the main focus of developers and publishers. This is the reason I am a multiplatform gamer. If you don't want to or can't afford to own all the consoles then you have to expect you will miss out on certain games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!