Photo

Wii U port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution "is sharper than the PC version" says SE

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Adam Jensen is coming to the Wii U, and he's bringing his cyborg sunglasses and pointed goatee with him. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is getting a Director's Cut edition for Nintendo's console, and the Report was able to sit down with Emile Pedneault, game designer on the Wii U version of Human Revolution, at PAX East to learn more.

Pedneault reiterated several times throughout our time together that this was the best version of the game, the ultimate version of the game. He and his team were able to do new things that couldn't have been done before, thanks to the touchscreen of the Wii U GamePad and the dual-screen experience it provided.

“The hacking by touch is so cool, it's like it was intended all along to be done by touch. And by leaving the main screen open, you can look around and make sure no one will spot you while hacking,” Pedneault said. “So that's one of the things that we instantly thought, seeing the Wii U, that would work well, and that's exactly the case. We have this ultimate experience.”

I asked Pedneault if the game had seen any improvements thanks to the Wii U's hardware. New controls were neat, but did the game actually run any better? Pedneault was cagey about details and wouldn't get into specifics, but said that the Wii U hardware allowed the team to feature a new lighting system, improved fog, improved shadows, and antialiasing.

“Right now, this is the best-looking Deus Ex,” Pedneault said. “It's even sharper than the PC version.” While the game does look noticeably nicer than it did on 360 and PS3, I couldn't compare it to a high-end PC, and when I pressed Pendeault to be specific about performance differences, he would only say that the team has worked on adjusting the game's engine, and that the Wii U hardware “helped” with that task.

I asked Pedneault if he thought all these new features and graphical tweaks would be enough. The Wii U's lineup of games thus far has been dominated by ports, and Human Revolution is the oldest of them all. Ubisoft delayed one of the system's few exclusives so that it could launch alongside its Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 siblings later in the year, and sales figures for the console have been less than positive. Could Human Revolution for the Wii U have a future?

Pedneault started by clarifying that he didn't want me to think of this game as a simple port. “Our goal right off the bat was not to make a port. We really wanted to take this opportunity working on the game again to just change what was ehh, so-so with the game and bring some new features to the game,” he said.

As for the business side of things: “I'm not here to speculate about the status of it right now, but we just delivered the ultimate experience and we just took advantage of all the Wii U features in every possible way we can. So hopefully, things will pick up in the future, and we'll make some new and old fans pretty happy with this version.”

“Who knows, maybe we'll be that one game that makes the Wii U sell.” I doubt that will be the case, but it's looking like those who do pick up the game won't be disappointed, and Pedneault said the team is not currently planning to institute any changes made for the Director's Cut into the Xbox 360, PS3, or PC versions of the games

source

#2 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

S O L D!!!!!!!

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Let's see gameplay first

#4 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Let's see gameplay first

Just imagine what it looks like on PC, but maybe slightly better.  They are probably using whatever the sharpest textures were in the PC version and I would assume that tweaking their engine meant just efficiency tweaks or better AA or AF or something.

#5 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Wow, now im convinced, I'll pre order it right away if it shows up in Gamestop's website.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

sharp was probably the wrong adjective. It implies image resolution, rather than lighting and shadowing improvements.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

I was sold even if it was the same as the other versions this just makes things more awesome, It was an amazing game but I never got chance to finish it, I can now :D

#8 dvl666

dvl666

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

Its just a pity its such an old game that can be picked up for £5 on other consoles, i enjoyed playing back when it was released but i doubt i could be bothered again now if it was a new Deus Ex....

#9 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

#10 nothinglost

nothinglost

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

^^^ Well now I'm sold on this game!!!!

I thought it would be pretty cool but after reading the interview with the Lead Dev and watching the Gameplay trailer I will definitely be picking up this Wii U Exclusive Gem!!!!

This is what I'm talking about when I refer to "ports".

It's technically a "port" but a reimagined one with new features and a graphical overhaul. Heck Yes SquarEnix!!!!!!

#11 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

Gamefly.....

#12 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Trailer

nevermind, already posted :P

Edited by routerbad, 03 April 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Let's see gameplay first

I'm sure you said the same thing in another thread on the game. Gameplay isn't the issue and has already proven to be solid in the other versions. With all the enhancements and improvements I'm sure it will at the very least be the best console version.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

• Grenade Throw-Back: Grenades near Jensen appear on the GamePad, the player can then swipe the grenade icon to throw the grenade back.
  • New Augmentation “Tactical Pattern-Recognition System”: Display Jensen’s view through the GamePad touch screen. Moving the GamePad around will move Jensen’s view (the camera) in the same way, using the gyroscope. The NPC closest to Jensen’s center point of view (reticle) will have an extra information panel appearing over his head, giving precious information like the items carried, total health, armor type and state (unconscious, dead, normal). Jensen can still move and shoot while the T.P-R.S is active.
  • Infologs: Information packages that can contain detailed screenshots, voice recordings, drawing and typed notes all together. Infologs can be toggled as a physical beacon in-game to be played automatically when standing on it. Infologs can be shared through the Miiverse to your friends, which let them view your content in-game, without breaking the immersion.
  • New Game +: Lengthen the game with the New Game Plus; keeping Jensen’s augmentations on replay.
  • GamePad Mode: Ability to play on the GamePad (No TV needed).

Fan Features

• Director’s commentaries; For the hardcore Deus Ex fans, approximately 8 hours of director’s commentary that reveals secrets and background info on the creation and production of Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.
  • Strategy Guide: A strategy guide is available for the complete game including both the Missing Link and Tong’s Rescue mission. The strategy guide is implemented in-game and can be accessed through the Neural Hub at any time.
  • Achievements system; Original game achievements, The Missing Link achievements and new achievements are available!
  • A “Making Of” Video; The “Making Of” video of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, approximately 45min.
  • Left-Handed control mapping; for a total of 4 control layout variations
  • Languages: English, French, Italian, German and Spanish are available in both voice and subtitles. Choose to play the game with audio in one language but keep the subtitles on another. 

this is pretty insane.

Edited by routerbad, 03 April 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#15 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Never played this, but the effort they're putting into this is outstanding. I'm definitely intrigued.

Posted Image

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

sharp was probably the wrong adjective. It implies image resolution, rather than lighting and shadowing improvements.

They mention specifically better lighting, fog, shadows, and AA.  I don't think it will look a whole lot better than PC, and anything that does is thanks to engine tweaks.

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

The use of the gamepad seems the biggest improvement but clearly it would be great to see some visual improvements in the game hopefully not at the expense of frame rates. Maybe this will be the first wii u game to show marked improvement over 360 and PS3 in all areas. Lets hope it sells well enough that over publishers and developers keep developing for wii u.

I've got the 360 version and haven't even started it yet though.

#18 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

i'm totally sold.

#19 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Still have this game for ps3 still have not even touched it!

Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

#20 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

The use of the gamepad seems the biggest improvement but clearly it would be great to see some visual improvements in the game hopefully not at the expense of frame rates. Maybe this will be the first wii u game to show marked improvement over 360 and PS3 in all areas. Lets hope it sells well enough that over publishers and developers keep developing for wii u.

I've got the 360 version and haven't even started it yet though.

It won't. I think some will bite but I can't see this selling even 100k. Brutal but honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!