Photo

Why can;t E3 announcements be like this?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Nintendo's announcement of the original DS back in 2004. Compare this to any modern press conference and you see just how bad the industry has gotten. even Nintendo to an extent. What do you guys think? discuss!!

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

They used to have 100ish Nintendo fans at their conferences at e3.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Here's my question, why can't Microsoft do this, every year they always suck.

Edited by Julio93, 02 April 2013 - 11:00 PM.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#4 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Wow, I forgot how ugly the original DS was. XD

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

This was awesome, it really shows just how much things have changed, the crowd was going wild at the announcment of the DS and Wii, nowadays you get a small amount of cheers and mostly groans, gamers are getting progressivly more moody.

#6 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

This was awesome, it really shows just how much things have changed, the crowd was going wild at the announcment of the DS and Wii, nowadays you get a small amount of cheers and mostly groans, gamers are getting progressivly more moody.

I know. It was refreshing to see Reggie and Iwata actually sound like gamers who cared about gaming. 

#7 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Here's my question, why can't Microsoft do this, every year they always suck.

I disagree. Microsoft do far better then Nintendo on most occasions. The only issue with MS in recent years is their very promotion and marketing of Kinect. Their presentations are on the whole far better.

#8 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

The reason why presentations back then were better is because the room used to be filled with actual fans. Now it's a bunch of journalists.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#9 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

The reason why presentations back then were better is because the room used to be filled with actual fans. Now it's a bunch of journalists.

Rubbish. They have always been filled with journalists. Presentations are always geared primarily to people in the industry and gaming journalists. Its only in recent years with Internet streaming has there been exposure to the gaming public.

#10 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Rubbish. They have always been filled with journalists. Presentations are always geared primarily to people in the industry and gaming journalists. Its only in recent years with Internet streaming has there been exposure to the gaming public.

They did have fans in there though.  They use that to get some applause from the audience, otherwise it sounds boring.

#11 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

They did have fans in there though. They use that to get some applause from the audience, otherwise it sounds boring.

I know some fans get in, but I believe the company has to invite them. It used to be open access. E3 isn't even about gamers to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft: it's about investors.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

I know some fans get in, but I believe the company has to invite them. It used to be open access. E3 isn't even about gamers to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft: it's about investors.

The press conferences have never been open access as you call it. Yes the show floor has been accessible to the general public at Gamescom and Tokyo game show but that's not the same thing. E3 is trade only and has always been that way. Sure some people like me do get in even though we are not supposed to. It's only with the advent of press conferences being streamed on the Internet that the general public has got so much exposure to what's hapenning in the games industry.

They did have fans in there though. They use that to get some applause from the audience, otherwise it sounds boring.

Whether that's true or not the majority of the audience is trade only and it's always been that way. I've attended several of the press conferences in the past both at E3 and Gamescom.

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

The press conferences have never been open access as you call it. Yes the show floor has been accessible to the general public at Gamescom and Tokyo game show but that's not the same thing. E3 is trade only and has always been that way. Sure some people like me do get in even though we are not supposed to. It's only with the advent of press conferences being streamed on the Internet that the general public has got so much exposure to what's hapenning in the games industry.

Whether that's true or not the majority of the audience is trade only and it's always been that way. I've attended several of the press conferences in the past both at E3 and Gamescom.

Noted

#14 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

It didn't seem better to me...also Reggie seemed less excited.

Edited by Symbol, 04 April 2013 - 09:06 AM.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#15 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

It's an amazing reveal yes. Especially when they showed Metroid running on it. The crowd went nuts, which is understandable. A better reaveal however is Twilight Princess' reveal in the same year I think. That was the most mind-blowing Nintendo reveal ever.

No sig.

#16 CLOSED

CLOSED

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

One thing that made some presentations awkward was whenever someone told a joke, (whether it be funny or not*) the crowd would just have no response...

*Because Reggie is hilarious.

#17 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Wow, I forgot how ugly the original DS was. XD

That wasn't the original ds, that was a beta version, the original ds bearly had any black markings or those large indents. type in "original ds" on google to see it

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#18 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

That wasn't the original ds, that was a beta version, the original ds bearly had any black markings or those large indents. type in "original ds" on google to see it

I know. It's still pretty fugly, though.

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

e3 was a consumer show back in those days, you could literally buy tickets to these things, and Nintendo and others used to invite hundreds of their fans to their conferences exactly to hype up everything they announce.

lol at microsoft's e3.
Dashboard for 2 hours.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

e3 was a consumer show back in those days, you could literally buy tickets to these things, and Nintendo and others used to invite hundreds of their fans to their conferences exactly to hype up everything they announce.lol at microsoft's e3.Dashboard for 2 hours.

No it wasn't and never has been a consumer show. I've attended every E3 from 1995 when it started to 2006. You had to register to get in and as part of that you had to show evidence you worked in the press, games development and publishing or games retail. What you paid for back then was the various panels they had discussing gaming related topics. The registration only allowed you on the show floor which is what I went for anyway - to play the games and try out the new hardware as well as get all the swag. It has always been and still is trade only. The actual cost of the tickets for the panels ran in to several hundred dollars, I believe around $500 , hardly something the average consumer would pay to play some games and you still had to register first and prove you were eligible.

The companies never invited any fans let alone hundreds. In fact there was a lot of resentment at people like myself who in theory had no business being there and as a result led to more over crowding on the shop floor and made the show into more of a consumer event rather then people in the industry being able to conduct business and the press being able to report on what was there. The press use to complain that they had a hard time getting to appointments or actually seeing and playing the games due to all the lines and queues. Consequently more and more of what was on show was behind closed doors especially stuff that wasn't already out or announced. Eventually they changed the format and made it smaller as well as invitation only to reduce the number of people who shouldn't really be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!