Photo

Why Retro's IP is more likely to be realistic (this time)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

Retro is likely to go for a more high detailed Unreal 4 esque experience for their exciting IP from a cultural background.

Now we know Retro is working using what is likely to be a brand new Engine available for all first and second parties to use. This engine will allow any art style to specifically be tailored to the Wii U's hardware specifics. Which is why Retro's IP probably is taking a long time, because not only is game being developed but a whole new HD engine had to be developed alongside.

While Japan after Hiroshima and Nagasaki Japan's world was turned on its head, what with this and a cultural work ethic which left very little fun time in the heart of a Japanese person's life, a flourish of bright colours and craziness ensured. Escapism to its max. Something which America and Europe in particular needed but dealt with in different ways after World War II - America as a latecomer to the War was the least affected still struggling between traditional Christian values and youthful rebellion of the 50s and 60s.

Retro is based in Austin - Texas - one of the largest fundamental christian strongholds of America. America has a split divide on realism and escapism and culturally has evolved differently. With subcultures mainly in America with the aftermath of Vietnam adopting comic books and Anime which as a solid root in more mature non-escapist themes, whilst being presented in a more bright, colourful and escapist fantasy worlds.

PS: I know comic book culture stems a lot further back,  but I feel toward the 80s they finally got the mainstream recognition in the US they deserved.  

This information alongside Retro's knowledge that Western audiences prefer a more realistic art style leads me to believe Retro's new IP will be taking on the Metroid Prime, Arkham City, Halo, Rachet and Clank hyper-real artstyle, but bringing in a grounded realistic detail with lighting, environment and character models, explosion particle and physics, pushing the Wii U to almost its limits visually in an art style that perfectly mixes escapism and realism together much like Anime and Comic books do. 

ONE FINAL NOTE:

I'd almost like to see a parody of the Unreal 4 Elemental demo to show of the full capabilities of Retro's next gen Nintendo exclusive engine. Starting off with the close up of the Knight which looks like Bowser in hyper photoreal HD. It picks up the glowing red hammer and falls backward. The armour cracks open to reveal a small Hammer Bro rendered in crystal clear "cartoony" art-style, while Mario arrives in Smash Bros Brawl art-style (detailed dungarees but still cartoony) and squishes the hammer bro ready to Enter the photoreal Bowser's castle, only to be joined by Samus and Link rendered in different art styles.

This would show the Engines capabilities to do what Unreal 4 does and do it with different art styles

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#2 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

I do think Retro`s game will focus a lot on graphics. To me, that`s probably the reason why Retro`s showing got pulled off at the last minute from E3 last year. It just wasn`t ready to be shown the way it was intended to.

About the engine, i don`t know if it`s a new engine or not. But given that Nintendo was giving out a Gameware solution to developers, which incorporated Cry Engine 3.0, my guess is that at least for now, the game might use it to save time and money.
And if the engine is as good as Crytek says it is, UE 4 might not be that big of a loss. But we will see.

Personally, i would really like for Retro to make a FPS, because that`s really a franchise that Nintendo is missing in it`s catalog.

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

Definately seems like another metroid. If not a prime because the prime trilogy is concluded, then another retro style first person adventure.

That miiverse 'hacking' is all the proof i need.

Every single game on their has since been announced.... Except 2, metal gear, and metroid.

Pretty sure retro is working on that metroid, and i couldnt be happier about it. I cant wait for the first screens.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

Getting a realistic type of metroid game would be awesome.

Although, I think the Wii u's power is probably just a little shy in terms of power for that, maybe late Xbox 720 games will be able to though.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

Leon1989, on 08 Apr 2013 - 22:20, said:Getting a realistic type of metroid game would be awesome.
Although, I think the Wii u's power is probably just a little shy in terms of power for that, maybe late Xbox 720 games will be able to though.

uh, what, they did it with the gamecube, is someone not familiar with the prime trilogy?

mp_3.jpg

If not i envy you. Playing prime for the first time. That was an experience that has never been matched.

Edited by 3Dude, 09 April 2013 - 04:10 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

Well most gamers consider them to nintendo to what Naughty dog is to Sony. all i know is they better bring it. me personally i want to see new Ip's from nintendo studios. but i i think we all foam at the mouth from the thought of a HD metroid being developed by Retro.

#7 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yes I played the first metroid when it just came out on the gamecube and it still looks rather nice to this day.

Graphics are not going to be takeing that big of a  leap like that though, from the N64 to Metroid prime style.

#8 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

Also when we consider Metroid Prime 3 looked like a 480p version of a Unreal 3 game. This is most likely to look like a 720p version of a Unreal 4 game. You never know they may be the first native 1080p Nintendo game!

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 04:17 AM.

#9 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hmmm don't think the next metroid will have amazing graphics in 1080p, would be too taxing on the Wii u. I think the next metroid will look really sharp and nice, but don't expect it to blow you away like prime did.

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

Leon1989, on 08 Apr 2013 - 22:28, said:Yes I played the first metroid when it just came out on the gamecube and it still looks rather nice to this day.
Graphics are not going to be takeing that big of a  leap like that though, from the N64 to Metroid prime style.

There was no n64 metroid, and the leap from wii metroid to wii u metroid is going to be gigantic compared to the leap from killzone 3-4.

'Hmmm don't think the next metroid will have amazing graphics in 1080p, would be too taxing on the Wii u. I think the next metroid will look really sharp and nice, but don't expect it to blow you away like prime did.'

Resolution had nothing to do with why people were blown away by prime.

Edited by 3Dude, 09 April 2013 - 04:30 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

I never said it was...

The hardware, though a massive step up from the Wii, will not be blowing you away the way the gamecube did.

#12 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

Leon1989, on 08 Apr 2013 - 22:28, said:Yes I played the first metroid when it just came out on the gamecube and it still looks rather nice to this day.

There was no n64 metroid, and the leap from wii metroid to wii u metroid is going to be gigantic compared to the leap from killzone 3-4.

'Hmmm don't think the next metroid will have amazing graphics in 1080p, would be too taxing on the Wii u. I think the next metroid will look really sharp and nice, but don't expect it to blow you away like prime did.'

Resolution had nothing to do with why people were blown away by prime.

No but the beauty to resolution ration did. All three games It looked like an Unreal 3 game but in SD. 

Again I honestly believe that the lighting, effects, details etc on this game will look like the intruder Unreal 4 demo or better, but in HD!

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#13 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

Am i the only one here who doesn't care if its HD or not, just happy that they might be making a metroid game?

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#14 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Am i the only one here who doesn't care if its HD or not, just happy that they might be making a metroid game?

No. No you're not.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#15 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Nintendo wise, no I don't care what kind of game it is. Nintendo need a graphical demo. It's the easiest way to show investors, developers, publishers and consumers that the Wii U is powerful enough to support next generation games engines and that third party games won't be watered down. It'd be a perfect retort toward Epic and I can see a lot of game publishers and developers having second thoughts and porting over many more third party titles with a demo such as having a next gen looking HD game.

Personally that's more important for me as a fan who wants to see Nintendo succeed more with third party multiplats this generation that what IP it is. The IP I'm sure will kick ass I have no worries and no excites over that, because I'm already confident that whatever Retro are working on it'll be hella fun with amazing gameplay.

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

This is going to be the best retro metroid since the first prime.

I just saw what armature software (the company founded by the guys who left retro) has been doing this whole time (project got cancelled).... And its an attempt at basically making metroid prime with a gritty realistic take on a different well known franchise.... And its full of everything i feel has been slowly going wrong with each prime past the first...

But they are gone now, and it has never been so clear their influence was the problem i had with the direction the series went..... Best retro metroid since prime. Holy crap i cant wait to see it

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

So long as the story is nothing like Other M, because boy did that suck.....

#18 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Nintendo wise, no I don't care what kind of game it is. Nintendo need a graphical demo. It's the easiest way to show investors, developers, publishers and consumers that the Wii U is powerful enough to support next generation games engines and that third party games won't be watered down. It'd be a perfect retort toward Epic and I can see a lot of game publishers and developers having second thoughts and porting over many more third party titles with a demo such as having a next gen looking HD game.

While i am hopeful that Nintendo will unveil a graphical demo or better yet a next-gen engine from Retro that looks as good as Crytek, i think some people are getting their hopes too high for E3 odds are Nintendo will just reveal the games we already know are coming along with some new ones.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

So long as the story is nothing like Other M, because boy did that suck.....

Yeah it was. But nowhere near as bad as what these former retro boys were about to do...

rWQaAay.jpg

Edited by 3Dude, 09 April 2013 - 09:18 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yeah it was. But nowhere near as bad as what these former retro boys were about to do...

rWQaAay.jpg

Oh god yeah f me backwards with a power drill!

@VGCrasher - Yeah I see your point. But Retro know how important visuals can be to Western Publishers, Developers and Consumers. Especially to indicate to Publishers and Developers that probably haven't even bothered trying out a Wii U dev kit because of prejudice that they need to turn some heads this E3. It's not the end of the world for nintendo if they don't but if they do it'd really help boost business between Nintendo and other games companies. Oh and attract gamers that think Nintendo are only capable of Mario. Yes these people do exist, yes they are not good, but maybe a simple visual demo can  convert them

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 09:28 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!