Photo

Why Retro's IP is more likely to be realistic (this time)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Yeah it was. But nowhere near as bad as what these former retro boys were about to do...

rWQaAay.jpg

What is this?

#22 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

What is this?

A FPS Mega Man game that got canned.

Edited by Crispy Bacon, 09 April 2013 - 09:24 AM.

Posted Image

#23 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

A FPS Mega Man game that got canned.

What's wrong with an FP Mega Man game?  The game was a shmup in the first place.

#24 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

What's wrong with an FP Mega Man game? The game was a shmup in the first place.

Because they werent making a first person shmup.

They were shoehorning megaman into call of duty gameplay. Complete with regenerating health, qte segments, one path and a turn, cutscene, turn cutscene game design.

It was everything going wrong with the prime series from echoes and corruption extracted, concentrated, put on steroids, and used to paint megaman onto a call of duty game.

Edited by 3Dude, 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#25 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

@VGCrasher - Yeah I see your point. But Retro know how important visuals can be to Western Publishers, Developers and Consumers. Especially to indicate to Publishers and Developers that probably haven't even bothered trying out a Wii U dev kit because of prejudice that they need to turn some heads this E3.

I know retro would do it but wouldn't they need the ok from Nintendo to make a tech demo? and knowing Nintendo's view of gameplay over graphics i don't think they would allow Retro to make a tech demo nor a next-gen engine, Nintendo doesn't seem to realize that the Wii U has has the recipe to become the first Nintendo console since the SNES with good third-party support, it has enough power to compete with the 720 and PS4 and isn't limited by cartridges or minidvd disks like the N64 and GCN were.

#26 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Because they werent making a first person shmup.

They were shoehorning megaman into call of duty gameplay. Complete with regenerating health, qte segments, one path and a turn, cutscene, turn cutscene game design.

It was everything going wrong with the prime series from echoes and corruption extracted, concentrated, put on steroids, and used to paint megaman onto a call of duty game.

The story I just read about it talked about branching paths, and trying to incorporate the 8bit mechanics where possible including absorbing weapons from bosses.  just going to FPS doesn't automatically make it a COD clone.  There are good FPS games that have great timing and mechanics, like Halo.  I wouldn't have put it into the COD category unless they iterated the same thing every year.  Did COD or Halo start the regenerating health thing?

#27 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I know retro would do it but wouldn't they need the ok from Nintendo to make a tech demo? and knowing Nintendo's view of gameplay over graphics i don't think they would allow Retro to make a tech demo nor a next-gen engine, Nintendo doesn't seem to realize that the Wii U has has the recipe to become the first Nintendo console since the SNES with good third-party support, it has enough power to compete with the 720 and PS4 and isn't limited by cartridges or minidvd disks like the N64 and GCN were.

It depends how Retro spin it to Nintendo. If it's an advert for developers who are build Nintendo exclusive software using their Engine as it's easier to use as it automatically gets the most out of the hardware it may get approved. Nintendo have to realise that they've shown the hardware and gameplay experience off, now they just need to be proud of the visual and online side of things, and they shouldn't be embarrassed of showing off the flexibility of a games Engine to provide any kind of art style including photorealistic.

Again I'd love it to be a retort to Epic and all the bad press Nintendo have been getting for not having the official support of Unreal 4 and Frostbite 3. Especially with a parody of the Elemental demo

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#28 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

The story I just read about it talked about branching paths, and trying to incorporate the 8bit mechanics where possible including absorbing weapons from bosses. just going to FPS doesn't automatically make it a COD clone. There are good FPS games that have great timing and mechanics, like Halo. I wouldn't have put it into the COD category unless they iterated the same thing every year. Did COD or Halo start the regenerating health thing?

Halo started it, but at least shields has an explanation. (wtf cod?)

I read the sob story they prepared for the article, and it doesnt add up with the work ive seen. And i know exactly what their idea of 'branching paths' and 'exploration' is from what they did to the exploration of prime 1 in echoes and then even more in corruption.

and now without nintendos incredibly strict oversight?

No, I can read where this was going.

You are talking to a huge metroid fan, who knew prime was gold from seeing it back in alpha, when everyone else was screaming about tge end of the world.

No, this would not have turned into what you are thinking.

It would have been this:

Boxart_jap_bomberman-act-zero.jpg

Edited by 3Dude, 09 April 2013 - 10:34 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#29 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

If i haven't join this forum i would've never knew the Wii U would be able to compete graphic-wise with the 720/PS4, an exclucive next-gen engine from Retro would be more than enough to blow minds at E3 as it would kill the believe that the Wii U is underpowered and can't run next-gen games i hope Nintendo does this, with the PS4 also being at E3 it's the only way they could keep consumers interested in the Wii U.

#30 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Halo started it, but at least shields has an explanation. (wtf cod?)

I read the sob story they prepared for the article, and it doesnt add up with the work ive seen. And i know exactly what their idea of 'branching paths' and 'exploration' is from what they did to the exploration of prime 1 in echoes and then even more in corruption.

and now without nintendos incredibly strict oversight?

No, I can read where this was going.

You are talking to a huge metroid fan, who knew prime was gold from seeing it back in alpha, when everyone else was screaming about tge end of the world.

No, this would not have turned into what you are thinking.

It would have been this:

Okay, yeah that makes sense.  The problem with the original games is that they were always light on story, so creating a story driven game would have alienated some fans by default.  The gameplay videos looked intriguing at least, and regenerating health on a robot could be explained through a systems integrity level and repair functions, maybe nanites or the like, or power drain, like the original.  I don't think that every game has to try to live up to Metroid Prime, which really was the greatest game of all time, IMO.  That is a hard mark to hit, and because MegaMan wasn't an adventure game that required a lot of exploration, they wouldn't have had to try and shoehorn exploration into what was essentially a platforming shooter.  The game never made it past prototype so who knows.  I, for one, am not allergic to story-centric games, and would have enjoyed the game as long as the plot didn't take away from the core mechanics.  

Yeah regen shields makes more sense than getting shot and recovering in two seconds from it.  COD would be much more fun if there were less bullets flying around and you actually had to avoid being shot.  Why FPS games aim to make you feel like superman is beyond me, it waters down everything that makes a shooter a shooter, the idea is to not get shot, or to find a way to take more punishment within the game, like armor, or a personal shield.  

#31 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

routerbad, on 09 Apr 2013 - 05:00, said:Okay, yeah that makes sense.  The problem with the original games is that they were always light on story, so creating a story driven game would have alienated some fans by default.  The gameplay videos looked intriguing at least, and regenerating health on a robot could be explained through a systems integrity level and repair functions, maybe nanites or the like, or power drain, like the original.  I don't think that every game has to try to live up to Metroid Prime, which really was the greatest game of all time, IMO.  That is a hard mark to hit, and because MegaMan wasn't an adventure game that required a lot of exploration, they wouldn't have had to try and shoehorn exploration into what was essentially a platforming shooter.  The game never made it past prototype so who knows.  I, for one, am not allergic to story-centric games, and would have enjoyed the game as long as the plot didn't take away from the core mechanics.  
Yeah regen shields makes more sense than getting shot and recovering in two seconds from it.  COD would be much more fun if there were less bullets flying around and you actually had to avoid being shot.  Why FPS games aim to make you feel like superman is beyond me, it waters down everything that makes a shooter a shooter, the idea is to not get shot, or to find a way to take more punishment within the game, like armor, or a personal shield.  

Id say its a damn near impossible mark to hit just because of the reverence given to games like prime.

A game would need to be twice as good to be considered on par.

But with megaman x, the bar would be megaman x. It would be like having to pull off metroid prime all over again... Except the tings that would NEED to make the transition to 3d for the core of an x game would be the very things retro dropped from prime to focus on game world design, because they couldnt figure out how to do them.

Instead they are dropping them and counting on exploration and branching paths to fill the void... But thats the heart of metroid, not MMX. Wall dragging, jumping, bullet wave dodging, those are the heart of mmx, and its nowhere to be found here, and the exploration concepts and designs on display to take that place are even further watered down than what we last saw from these three in corruption...

Couple that with an X design with a middle aged man as a holoface, with a gravelly middle aged master cheif impersonator voice and you have an unshakable likeness the original megaman boxarts....

2008_01_12_megawhat.jpg

mega_man2_box_eu.jpg

megaman2_box-711847.jpg

I mean, there is a reason capcom left that box art style behind. They brought it back as a joke because realistic megaman is ridiculous looking.

mega-man-9-20080717020802013_640w.jpg

Its absurd, even if you have the best in the world working on it. And dont mistake my criticism on these thre armature founders on some of their game design decisions as a complete lack of belief in their abilities, i still firmly believe they are some of the best in the business particularly as artists, fantastic talents... but i cant look at those screens without mentally gagging.

MMX fps would have immediately and instantly been grouped with realistic megaman box arts... The whole project was just a bad idea.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#32 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

routerbad, on 09 Apr 2013 - 05:00, said:Okay, yeah that makes sense.  The problem with the original games is that they were always light on story, so creating a story driven game would have alienated some fans by default.  The gameplay videos looked intriguing at least, and regenerating health on a robot could be explained through a systems integrity level and repair functions, maybe nanites or the like, or power drain, like the original.  I don't think that every game has to try to live up to Metroid Prime, which really was the greatest game of all time, IMO.  That is a hard mark to hit, and because MegaMan wasn't an adventure game that required a lot of exploration, they wouldn't have had to try and shoehorn exploration into what was essentially a platforming shooter.  The game never made it past prototype so who knows.  I, for one, am not allergic to story-centric games, and would have enjoyed the game as long as the plot didn't take away from the core mechanics.  

Id say its a damn near impossible mark to hit just because of the reverence given to games like prime.

A game would need to be twice as good to be considered on par.

But with megaman x, the bar would be megaman x. It would be like having to pull off metroid prime all over again... Except the tings that would NEED to make the transition to 3d for the core of an x game would be the very things retro dropped from prime to focus on game world design, because they couldnt figure out how to do them.

Instead they are dropping them and counting on exploration and branching paths to fill the void... But thats the heart of metroid, not MMX. Wall dragging, jumping, bullet wave dodging, those are the heart of mmx, and its nowhere to be found here, and the exploration concepts and designs on display to take that place are even further watered down than what we last saw from these three in corruption...

Couple that with an X design with a middle aged man as a holoface, with a gravelly middle aged master cheif impersonator voice and you have an unshakable likeness the original megaman boxarts....

2008_01_12_megawhat.jpg

mega_man2_box_eu.jpg

megaman2_box-711847.jpg

I mean, there is a reason capcom left that box art style behind. They brought it back as a joke because realistic megaman is ridiculous looking.

mega-man-9-20080717020802013_640w.jpg

Its absurd, even if you have the best in the world working on it. And dont mistake my criticism on these thre armature founders on some of their game design decisions as a complete lack of belief in their abilities, i still firmly believe they are some of the best in the business particularly as artists, fantastic talents... but i cant look at those screens without mentally gagging.

MMX fps would have immediately and instantly been grouped with realistic megaman box arts... The whole project was just a bad idea.

That sucks, because the game could have been fun to play, There are some mechanics, such as in the case of prime, that don't translate well to the third dimension.  I'd rather see something in the first person than the third person, though.  I think it would suit the material well.  

#33 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

If i haven't join this forum i would've never knew the Wii U would be able to compete graphic-wise with the 720/PS4, an exclucive next-gen engine from Retro would be more than enough to blow minds at E3 as it would kill the believe that the Wii U is underpowered and can't run next-gen games i hope Nintendo does this, with the PS4 also being at E3 it's the only way they could keep consumers interested in the Wii U.

This is why I think the engine should be available to any third party to make a Wii U exclusive game. Maybe even free of charge. It would be great.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Soon.

Nintendo's US president Reggie Fils-Aime
has already promised that Retro's Wii U
game will be fantastic but what is it? It's a
question we asked of Yamada who is
supervising Monster Games as they work
on a 3DS remake of Donkey Kong Country
Returns.
Yamada wasn't giving much away, saying:
"I wonder what kind of game it is? I hope
to introduce it to you in the not so distant
future."

http://www.officialn...zine....istant-
future/

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Soon.

Nintendo's US president Reggie Fils-Aime
has already promised that Retro's Wii U
game will be fantastic but what is it? It's a
question we asked of Yamada who is
supervising Monster Games as they work
on a 3DS remake of Donkey Kong Country
Returns.
Yamada wasn't giving much away, saying:
"I wonder what kind of game it is? I hope
to introduce it to you in the not so distant
future."

http://www.officialn...zine....istant-
future/

Saw that this morning. I got all excited. XD Can't wait for what it may be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!