15 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Now these are out of games I've played so Amnesia: Dark Descent will not be on the list. This topic is similar to one already posted, but this covers all platforms and all ages when you encountered them.

1) Dead Space - Encountering the necromorph / Dead Space 2 - Straight Jacket Hell. Both of these moments were probably the most intense and frightening moments that I've encountered in a game. When I first ran away from one I just shouted "oh s**t, oh s**t, oh s**t, oh sh*it, oh s*hit" over and over again. Dead Space 2 topped this feeling by placing me in a straight jacket.

2) Pretty much every moment during Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2. If there's any game that made me just put down a controller and switch over to watch cartoons Silent Hill 1 and 2 are the games to do the trick, just the way scares are set up are masterful. Nothing has really come close to psychological terror than a 14 year old me playing Silent Hill for the first time. 

3) Resident Evil - Dogs through window - yes it's cliched but when a friend of mine had heard of this game called Resident Evil had mad grown men cry like babies we just had to give it a go, So a 10 year old me managed to borrow the game from someone who was irresponsible enough to lend it to my  friend and I.
I'd seen the intro and the Kenny J Sullivan scene and I was fine with that (gore and young boys = happy kids). However I'd seen no more  than that, and I thought I'd easily be able to handle it. Needless to say when we got to the moment dogs jumped through the window we had this kind of reaction. http://www.youtube.c...B5Qtch0#t=2m16s I didn't play Resident Evil again until I were 12, two years before I knew what true horror was like with Silent Hill

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:

Slender: I'd put this as my number one spot, but somehow I don't feel such a simple scare mechanic deserves to make it in a top 3 list. Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Dead Space had a lot more time and crafting making sure these moments chilled you to your bone, and although I'm sure a lot of effort for an indie company went into the game, it just seems to simple. However that's the kind of scare that get's us most isn't it? the simple ones, ones that reach our primal nerve centre? Anyway It's a terrifying game but I'd feel to guilty putting in the top 3

Zelda: Redeads and freaky Twilight Princess cut scene. Who would think freakin Zombies would appear in the N64 Zelda, and on top of that they'd be terrifying? Well I encountered then in my late 20s and they still unnerve me. Imagine being a kid used to mario and seeing these. horrific, but fiendishly awesome.

Oh and  <--- what the hell Nintendo?!

What are your scariest moments in games?

Edited by Penguin101, 09 April 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Wow these are great, its a shame that the horror genre is dying and becoming too action packed now adays.

But you might have forgotten but my scary moment is in Bioshock 1, (Video down below to see what i mean) These are the most frightening things ive ever come across in 2006, I thought the Big Daddys were scary but my god these devs know how to put horror elements in an FPS.

Edited by Julio93, 09 April 2013 - 02:39 PM.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#3 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Wow these are great, its a shame that the horror genre is dying and becoming too action packed now adays.

But you might have forgotten but my scary moment is in Bioshock 1, (Video down below to see what i mean) These are the most frightening things ive ever come across in 2006, I thought the Big Daddys were scary but my god these devs know how to put horror elements in an FPS.

Yes forgot Bioshock was going to be one of my honourable mentions

#4 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

REmake: Crimson Heads and Lisa Trevor

RE2: First meeting with Mr. X

RE4: Verdugo (boss fight in sewer)

Final Fantasy VII: Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim (creepy place)

Posted Image

#5 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

RE2: I don't know why, but I always the initial section of the game (before you enter the Police Station basically). I always wanted someone else to do that for me. I'll also give that Tyrant walking around randomly like no one's business an honourable mention. Also 3rd/4th G Burkin.

REmake: Every Crimson Head going WOLOLO at you.

Bioshock: I think seeing how deranged the plastic surgeon is in the beginning is the tip of the iceberg. Rapture is more or less a glorified loony bin.

Portal 2: That "well ****" moment when Wheaton takes control.

Redneck Rampage: Any part that involves killing and you're too young to know how to use the kill button.

Wolfenstein 3D: When you face a tough enemy and you don't know why they aren't dying, because the concept of larger health bars for bosses hasn't come to you yet.

Final Fantasy 8: All of it.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#6 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

*shudder* don't remind me.

Oh, and Daggerfall's main city at night for the first time.

God, that freaked me out

#7 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Final Fantasy 8 was my joke entry. I could've easily put in any other Final Fantasy, Runescape or Harry Potter.

The others were legitimate.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#8 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Amen to that. My least favorite in the series.

Posted Image

#9 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Giygas from Earthbound. I made my point.

Edited by Poison, 10 April 2013 - 09:26 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#10 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Eternal Darkness. All of it. And if horror games aren't allowed Psycho Mantis. I'm sorry but he should not know that I played Wind Waker.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#11 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Eternal Darkness. All of it. And if horror games aren't allowed Psycho Mantis. I'm sorry but he should not know that I played Wind Waker.

All games are welcome here

#12 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

All games are welcome here

oh, ok. I still gonwith my original statement: all of Eternal Darkness and the the Psycho Mantis scene from MGS: Twin Snakes.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

I don't really have one but then again I don't really play that many horror games, There were some very jumpy moment's in ZombiU though, my God the Nursery was horrible............

#14 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#15 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

F.E.A.R. had its fair share of jumpy moments. The bit going down the ladder, a bit crawling through some pipes I think it was where creepy girl suddenly comes scuttling towards u. Same with zombiU, made me jump a coupla times. Also the moment in the game Two Worlds when it dawned on me that I had spent good money on that pile of cr@p and wouldn't be able to get it back!

I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#16 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Earth temple in Wind Waker was creepy as hell... Every zombie parts in Zelda are really scary... Ao Oni is a pretty messed up game, and the weird cutscene you mentionned from Zelda was really creepy too.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!