Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

While at GDC, I had the chance to sit down and speak with AMD’s chief graphics product architect, John Gustafson. While he remained silent when it came to Microsoft’s next generation Xbox, he had a lot to say about Sony’s recently announced PlayStation 4.

“The PlayStation 4 blew me away but I’m conscious about being too positive about it because of course we have other partners that are competing,” said Gustafson at GDC (Game Developers Conference) in San Francisco.

During their big PlayStation 4 reveal back in February, Sony revealed that rather than creating their own hardware like they did with the PlayStation 3, the PlayStation 4 will adopt AMD created chipsets.

AMD also provides the graphics horsepower behind the Wii U, a fact Gustafson was quick to point out when asked about his feelings on the PlayStation 4 and the fact that it’s the only true next-generation console that’s been revealed so far. “Of course there is the Wii U too, we have AMD parts in there,” said Gustafson.

He also seems to be very impressed with the specifications Sony has revealed so far about the PlayStation 4.

“It looks like they did an extremely good job of the engineering… The CPU and the GPU are on the same chip, which solves a lot of the problems (you don’t have to toss things over to a graphics card and try to get them back and forth).”

Going into specifics, Gustafson explained how he expects next generation physics engines on the PlayStation to be more realistic than we’ve ever seen before. He also emphasized that the console’s 8 GBs of ram will give developers a significant amount of breathing room when it comes to game development.

Gustafson also expanded on the potential he thinks the PS4 has when it comes to purposes outside of gaming, especially if it were used as some sort of server. According to him, all it would take is a few modifications and you’d have an amazing computer platform for all kinds of purposes.

Since the PS4′s architecture is so similar to that of a high-end PC, once hackers get their hands on the actual console, I imagine it won’t be long before they find a way to turn it into an actual computer, allowing it to become more than just a game console.

http://o.canada.com/...-playstation-4/

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Damn lets hype Wii U

#3 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

So basically the gaming media is saying 'Graphics mean everything.'

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#4 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

So basically the gaming media is saying 'Graphics mean everything.'

remember when gameplay was the thing that mattered? because most of todays generation doesnt

wa3Nq7j.png

#5 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Damn the people who helped Nintendo make graphics chip for Wii U shows no excitment for what the console can do. DAMN!!!!

Edited by GAMER1984, 10 April 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#6 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Damn the people who helped Nintendo make graphics chip for Wii U shows no excitment for what the console can do. DAMN!!!!

Clear prove that even if the Wii U was a powerhouse it would still get a bad rap, nothing Nintendo does is never good enough for these turds it seems.

#7 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

remember when gameplay was the thing that mattered? because most of todays generation doesnt

I think they cared more about graphics back then actually than now. Remember those bits?

28gxdv8.png

#8 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

I think they cared more about graphics back then actually than now. Remember those bits?

"My 16 bit Sega Genesis is better than your 8 bit NES"!

Edited by SDDMN, 11 April 2013 - 01:41 AM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#9 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

Wow, I see lots of lies. "PS4's architecture is so similar to that of A HIGH END PC???" WHAT THE F***. I think the PS4 is impressive and all, but my GPU does twice the Terraflops, my i7 will smoke its puny jaguar cores, and my 16 Gigs of RAM is twice that of it 8( although I can't deny the RAM is impressive) It will look nice and have great features, but it is not even close to a high end computer, more like a mid to low range build with some good RAM thrown in.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#10 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

i wasnt going back that far when sega was still here, good times, besides that i was more going for n64-gamecube/ps1-2/xbox from what i saw most people didnt care much about the power, but i could be wrong, it is just what i saw

Edited by SPG, 11 April 2013 - 04:59 AM.

wa3Nq7j.png

#11 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

Pepperidge Farm remembers, as do I.

Edited by GhostDrive, 11 April 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#12 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Wow, I see lots of lies. "PS4's architecture is so similar to that of A HIGH END PC???" WHAT THE F***. I think the PS4 is impressive and all, but my GPU does twice the Terraflops, my i7 will smoke its puny jaguar cores, and my 16 Gigs of RAM is twice that of it 8( although I can't deny the RAM is impressive) It will look nice and have great features, but it is not even close to a high end computer, more like a mid to low range build with some good RAM thrown in.

at the end of the day who's realistically going to build a system like that though who hasn't got lot's of spare cash and the time to build/troubleshoot it the whole pc is better than consoles is a non argument now of course they are but if the ps4 was built to the same price it would be twice as good as your pc because it's being heavily subsidized.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

wow those are some loaded questions.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Seriously what did Nintendo do to deserve this. It seems as if the whole gaming community is against them to some point. Not like wanting them to lose but once again treating them like the red headed step child. This guy helped design the Wii U GPU and he doesn't even seem excited about it. Like oh yeah we do have "PARTS" in the Wii U. Seriously this is insane to me.

#15 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

BULLSHIZ!!! The graphics aren't anything special, its nothing we haven't seen before, its the same as a low end gaming PC, definitely not a high end! And it "Blew me away" As if! As frigin if! (ya i agree the PS4 is good for a console, but not that great)

Edited by Chrop, 11 April 2013 - 06:37 AM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

Lots of talk about this on gaf. It seems the AMD guy was sticking up for Wii U. When interviewer asked if ps4 was first next gen console AMD guys said no Wii U we have parts in there also. So I guess take from it what you will.

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

While this is awesome news, graphics alone don't sell a system for me, whatever floats your boat though I suppose.

#18 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

wow those are some loaded questions.

Yep, I expect AMD to hype the crap out of this system, because it is a complete AMD solution.  All because Sony went to Nvidia and couldn't afford their stuff.

#19 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

If AMD is saying that the PS4 blew them away I bet it'll cost a heap! 

Calling it now, death of Sony.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!