#21 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Just a question, what if the system is unplugged when it's in this "Sleep mode" and it's downloading or installing an update? Wouldn't this brick the system?

794144.png?13383682

#22 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Just a question, what if the system is unplugged when it's in this "Sleep mode" and it's downloading or installing an update? Wouldn't this brick the system?

It hasn't installed the update until it is completely downloaded, so a quick checksum would tell it that it is incomplete, and it could continue downloading if it has partial data.

#23 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

It hasn't installed the update until it is completely downloaded, so a quick checksum would tell it that it is incomplete, and it could continue downloading if it has partial data.

But, installation is the problem. What if you unplug console during installation process of new update? What if electricity goes out? Will that brick the console?

There are number of ways to overcome this problem...  

#24 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

My console hardlocked during the download of a update last December and I was forced to unplug it, it bricked.

794144.png?13383682

#25 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

But, installation is the problem. What if you unplug console during installation process of new update? What if electricity goes out? Will that brick the console?

I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem, patches can be uninstalled by simply deleting them, so I would imagine that they could overcome it.

I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem, patches can be uninstalled by simply deleting them, so I would imagine that they could overcome it.

My console hardlocked during the download of a update last December and I was forced to unplug it, it bricked.

An OS update or a game update?  That sucks hard.  There should be a way to factory reset the device to recover that, at least to go back on firmware.

#26 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm sure Nintendo would sort this problem out, I'm sure someone in the Nintendo Offices has brought up the issue so Nintendo can address it! People have power cuts and it's unfair to brick the system in the middle of an update. They should make sure the Wii u should just reset to factory settings if the update did not install correctly!!

Edited by Penguin101, 17 April 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#27 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

An OS update or a game update?  That sucks hard.  There should be a way to factory reset the device to recover that, at least to go back on firmware.

An OS update, luckily it came back in 3 weeks from nintendo just like it was before I did the update. All the data was in tact.

794144.png?13383682

#28 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

An OS update, luckily it came back in 3 weeks from nintendo just like it was before I did the update. All the data was in tact.

Ok that makes more sense, I would hope that it gives you a warning before downloading and installing firmware updates not to unplug the console.

#29 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

These all sound like very promissing updates to the OS for Wii U.  I feel very optimisitic that the OS is going to become a very attractive part of what the Wii U has to offer. 

#30 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

These all sound like very promissing updates to the OS for Wii U.  I feel very optimisitic that the OS is going to become a very attractive part of what the Wii U has to offer. 

Agreed, now we can hook up two externals, and move data inbetween them, pretty cool.

#31 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ok that makes more sense, I would hope that it gives you a warning before downloading and installing firmware updates not to unplug the console.

But updates are now done in stand by mode... you dont know when update is beginning and when it will end. You can have power cuts...

The solution should be similar to one that PC have for years... Dual BIOS. System should have basic functions in 2 separate locations. If update fails, system boots up from another location or recovery state.

#32 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

But updates are now done in stand by mode... you dont know when update is beginning and when it will end. You can have power cuts...

The solution should be similar to one that PC have for years... Dual BIOS. System should have basic functions in 2 separate locations. If update fails, system boots up from another location or recovery state.

This right here.

794144.png?13383682

#33 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Unfortunately they seem unwilling to give us recovery options, they are obviously afraid it would open up more avenues of attack for hackers trying to crack the firmware for piracy.

Its pretty sad as many devices these days can be recovered from bad firmware updates.  Things like routers and smart phones have recovery modes for things like that.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 17 April 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#34 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't remember mention of system updates in standby, at least the install, because it has to power cycle to do that.  Remember main power would already be off for the console.

#35 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I don't remember mention of system updates in standby, at least the install, because it has to power cycle to do that.  Remember main power would already be off for the console.

Even if updates cannot be done in new stand by mode, you can have unexpected situation, like freezing or power cut during update... People had that kind of problems with first update. They need fail safe method of  doing updates. If update fails for any reason, you should be able to use your console without needing to send it back to Nintendo.

#36 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

it is taking long enough, i cannot understand why the WiiU was released with such a poor OS in the first place though.

#37 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

it is taking long enough, i cannot understand why the WiiU was released with such a poor OS in the first place though.

To have more beta testers! :D

#38 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

I like the new speed improvements, but the new downloading features were totally unexpected, wow how awesome, I can't wait for next week :D

#39 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Does anyone know what/how many VC games will be availabke when it launches?

#40 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

The updates are partially divided meaning it keeps a backup if console is off the checksum makes it happen

Well will save it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!