Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...bc58db83a000018

The Metroid Prime games are widely considered one of the great modern gaming trilogies, but someone who worked very intimately on those games begs to differ. In a conversation with Game Informer, Mark Pacini – ex-lead designer of Retro Studios – spoke very candidly about what he thought of the games he helped create.

“I never played any of the Metroid games after they were done, just because I was just so sick of them,” Pacini admitted to Game Informer. “When you work on something for two years straight, and play it for two years straight, it’s really hard to go back and distance yourself from it.” Pacini’s new studio, a 30-person outfit called Armature partially made up of ex-Retro employees, is currently toiling away on Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, a Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita Metroidvania-style game set to release this fall.

He later went on to note that he “hope[s] we don’t disappoint [Metroid Prime fans],” when the game finally comes out. “That’s always my fear, because I think everything we do sucks,” he continued. “But that’s just me because I thought all the Prime games suck. At the end of the day all I see are all the bad things… It is the same thing here with the Arkham game. All I see at this point, because we are knee deep, we’re in the woods right now in development, and all I see is all the crap that’s wrong with it.”

Worry not, Mr. Pacini. Most gamers don’t agree that the Metroid Prime series “sucks.” Here at IGN, we gave the original Metroid Prime a 9.8, Metroid Prime 2 a 9.5 and Metroid Prime 3 a 9.5.

The good news? "In my gut I feel like, yeah, [Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is] going to be cool," Pacini said. "I’m excited for it. But at the same time, I hope we don’t disappoint people and I hope that they like it. We’re trying our hardest. I would like to play a game like this, so hopefully everyone else will, too."

In anycase, this seems like a classic case of being overly self-critical, but considering the high caliber of his games so far, he clearly sets the bar very high.

...........Wow.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Don't do drugs children...

Signature_DK.png

#3 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I understand what he's saying. I used to do a lot of graphic design, and everything I made sucked. People would like what I made, but I was never satisfied. So I understand what he's trying to say. I personally love all 3 Prime games.

#4 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

see, here is my problem with it, if all he sees is what "sucks" then why not fix the bloody thing so it doesnt "suck" anymore. but really, with this attitude "i played the game so long its bad now" why do you make games? sure it could get a bit boring, but its something you have to get used to or imo this job isnt for you, in other words, a speed runner would be perfect at making the game (just as an example)

wa3Nq7j.png

#5 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I understand what he's saying. I used to do a lot of graphic design, and everything I made sucked. People would like what I made, but I was never satisfied. So I understand what he's trying to say. I personally love all 3 Prime games.

Pretty much. It happens all the time in sports, art, and music. He just wasn't satisfied.

#6 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I used to make drum and bass tracks and a lot of people liked them but I deleted them all cause I thought they sucked

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#7 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Wow, this guy just sounds like he needs to chillax with a nice lemonade in the Bahamas for a few weeks, maybe years...

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#8 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

i know haw you feel. im never satisfied with my work, but you probably shouldnt be going on press and saying that you think your games suck lol

#9 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

He seems like a perfectionist.

Not really a bad thing...

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

True. What he does next must be epic then.

Signature_DK.png

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

Wow, he has the exact same opinion on the primes as i do.

Except hes much harder on them.

Prime, best designed by far.

Echoes the worst

Corruption most fun gameplay wise, but weak design.

Even the worst prime game is better than 90% of the games out there.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

Well, that's a shame........ It must be hard to not like your own creations.

#13 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, I get what he's saying. An artist/designer is their own worst critic.

Posted Image

#14 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I don't get your guys responses. He works on these games for 2 years straight, so every little thing about the game is constantly going through his mind. Most creative minds are extremely critical of their own work. I'm not surprised at all about his viewpoint.

#15 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

ninty perfectionism behavior gone too far.

#16 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

I don't get your guys responses. He works on these games for 2 years straight, so every little thing about the game is constantly going through his mind. Most creative minds are extremely critical of their own work. I'm not surprised at all about his viewpoint.

Yep! I mostly hate what I write until I perfect it. Even then I still find things that need work.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!