32 replies to this topic

#1 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:54 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:17 AM

I`m just going to leave this video here.
http://screwattack.c...-to-Roger-Ebert
It covers the subject quite nicely

Edited by Lord N, 13 August 2011 - 04:18 AM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

I've always considered art as something which has no purpose, other than to be admired. As video games exist primarily to entertain, I would say that they don't count as art.

#4 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

I've always considered art as something which has no purpose, other than to be admired. As video games exist primarily to entertain, I would say that they don't count as art.

So, speedpaints are not art because they're made to entertain? What about theater, is that not art? Animation and music don't count as well?

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#5 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:23 AM

I've seen many people who consider Movies art, and they exist primarily to entertain.
Posted Image

#6 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

Since they consider movies art, I suppose video games are.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

It can really depend on the game. CoD isn't art at all. (Not in my opinion at least.) I've seen some games which look like you could take a screenshot from it, and just hang it on your wall. (Looking at you Child of Eden) Then I look at LoZ: Wind Waker, and I think it looks like a watercolor painting. I do overall consider games as art, but it really depends on the game.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#8 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

It really depends on the game. Some games aren't art, but art is added into them as the form of easter eggs or other things. But I think most video games can be considered art.

#9 Guest_Lewnna_*

Guest_Lewnna_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

I would say so, particularly because of the graphics end. I mean, people consider pixel art to be... well, art. I don't see why videogames wouldn't be art, especially since so many artists are using digital means (like Photoshop and using tablets) to create their art nowadays, anyway. Sure, it's a different way of making art, looking at art, etcetera, but it is art especially since it makes you feel something. Definitely not something as deep as you'd see in arts that some people think are more "respectable" or "artistic" but nonetheless, something. The graphics influences the mood and theme of the game, as well as actual gameplay, duh, but seriously, mood's pretty important, too.

I know there are a few people that would beg to differ, but I wouldn't want to play some ugly game. And the developers care about that, so they hire skilled graphic artists to make the games beautiful in whatever way they're supposed to look. It takes as much skill as any other art format to create videogame artwork. From the cover art to the actual game. It is an entertainment form, yes, but I would also definitely call the graphics component of videogames art.

#10 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

Yes.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#11 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#12 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yes, I do consider them to be art. (At least most games. Not games like CoD and MW3, etc.) A creator of a video game needs creative to even create a game. May it be the story, the look and feel, gameplay, there's many things that are made by a video game developer through their creativity. (That's why games developed by different developers are different.)
Listen to 3 people play the same song on the same instrument. It won't sound the exact same and give off the exact same feeling. That's why if 3 Mario games would be made by 3 different developers, each would be similar, but yet still somewhat different.

Movies, drawing, music, and video games all take a certain amount of creativity from the creator to be what they are.

That's why I think video games are art.

#13 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Nope, just entertainment.

#14 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#15 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Video games are art.

If I make a box that looks like real life in Blender people will think of it as art, but if a box looks like real life in a game it's not art because it's a game.

What an outstanding logic!

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#16 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Could this thread be pinned?

Also, here's my opinion:
Some games are art, but all games contain art. I'd consider Amnesia: The Dark Descent art but not CoD. This is because CoD is only designed to be mindless entertainment, while Amnesia's purpose is to get you immersed and feeling the atmosphere. CoD still contains art though, and it would be a shameful thing to dismiss the work of the many people that worked to design, model and add textures to every in-game object.

How come your saying CoD isn't art? Maybe I think that Amnesia: The Dark Descent isn't art just because I've never heard of it. (Just for an example.) CoD gives me an action-packed fun adventure. Doesn't that count for anything? I think CoD is art and Amnesia: The Dark Descent is too.

I've changed my mind. video games can be art.

#17 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

How come your saying CoD isn't art? Maybe I think that Amnesia: The Dark Descent isn't art just because I've never heard of it. (Just for an example.) CoD gives me an action-packed fun adventure. Doesn't that count for anything? I think CoD is art and Amnesia: The Dark Descent is too.

I've changed my mind. video games can be art.

Just because someone didn't think that CoD was art?

Edited by Waller, 13 August 2011 - 04:21 PM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#18 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Just because someone didn't think that CoD was art?

What? :wacko:

#19 Bunny

Bunny

20% Cooler

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • NNID:Skybunny

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:31 AM

I believe anything can be art, especially if it's created using imagination.

#20 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

I think its funny that nobody has mentioned Okami in some way :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!