Photo

Iwata talks indie dev support on Wii U, third party stigma and turning things ar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

The following comes from Iwata when asked about Wii U third party support and the stigma that the Wii U is a low-powered system.

- Nintendo's initiative was to "expand the range of software developers"
- says they've already received inquiries from several hundred new developer
- these requests came in after their GDC panel on Nintendo Web Framework
- teams working on this sort of software are quite small
- this allows for quick updates in a short time-span
- with Unity support, hundreds of thousands of developers for Unity exist
- Iwata knows that there are some third parties that are actively supporting Wii U, while others aren't even giving it a second glance
- Iwata aims to fix this by making third parties not currently supporting Wii U regret that decision once third parties that do support it start to produce hits
- Nintendo is working to help create these results this Summer and onward

http://gonintendo.com/?page=1

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I hope these won't be more broken promises :unsure: 

#3 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm amazed he didn't say "Please Understand" this time.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I like indie games better than I like AAA games anyway, more personality, more gameplay variety. It isn't just aim and shoot like most big blockbusters are today. Screw EA, I'd take minecraft over any EA game anyway!! I'm glad wii u is supporting the small guys, rather than catering to the fat rich guys that don't give a crap if there game is made for the gamer, only that they get money.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Iwata's mad. Our bodies are not ready. Believe me. Trust me. Our bodies, they're not ready...It comes from Reggie's superior. He's entered berserker mode. He took the master sword, StarMan, and his coming for us. It's worst than when two Falcon Punches collide.

Posted Image

#6 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Dare I say it but Nintendo really needs to court the casual crowd again and make the wii u an essential purchase for less serious gamers. I personally don't feel indie developers is where its at. Minor platform games and light arcade games are now really about phones and tablets. The wii u needs to be family friendly in the same way as wii but more compelling. It needs to build on what the wii achieved there.

Nintendo need major titles to attract core gamers like Zelda and Mario but also new games that couldn't be predicted.

Really they need exclusives and lots of them. If they don't have exclusives they need versions of multiformat games that are enhanced for wii u. Titles that make major use of the gamepad screen etc.

#7 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Dare I say it but Nintendo really needs to court the casual crowd again and make the wii u an essential purchase for less serious gamers. I personally don't feel indie developers is where its at. Minor platform games and light arcade games are now really about phones and tablets. The wii u needs to be family friendly in the same way as wii but more compelling. It needs to build on what the wii achieved there.

Nintendo need major titles to attract core gamers like Zelda and Mario but also new games that couldn't be predicted.

Really they need exclusives and lots of them. If they don't have exclusives they need versions of multiformat games that are enhanced for wii u. Titles that make major use of the gamepad screen etc.

I'm sorry, why are indie developers not a good option for Nintendo? I love Traine 2, The Cave. Those are indie games. I'd love more of those and I'll keep buying them.

I'd say Nintendo needs more games. They can produce all the large system sellers, they don't need others for that.

And Watch Dogs. I want that game. Lol
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#8 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm sorry, why are indie developers not a good option for Nintendo? I love Traine 2, The Cave. Those are indie games. I'd love more of those and I'll keep buying them.

I'd say Nintendo needs more games. They can produce all the large system sellers, they don't need others for that.

And Watch Dogs. I want that game. Lol

With you on that one! both The cave & Trine 2 are top notch.

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#9 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

With you on that one! both The cave & Trine 2 are top notch.

^_^

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I won't belive it til I see it, In my eyes Iwata needs to prove himself now.

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I won't belive it til I see it, In my eyes Iwata needs to prove himself now.

I'll hold you to that.

#12 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Nintendo & Iwata MUST of known this was going to happen when they were designing the WiiU so why has it taken sooo long for Nintendo & Iwata to realise this, the same thing happened to the 3DS, they would of known the PS4 & X720 were going to be released a year or so after the WiiU was launched, i am not going to start going into specs but another gigabyte or two of RAM wouldn't of gone a miss & neither would USB 3.0, but Nintendo have been very naive it seems.

The adverts for the WiiU have been nonexistent & the adverts that have been made are patronizing to say the least, Nintendo wanted the so called core or hardcore gamer to invest in the WiiU & don't go on about how bad FIFA & Call of Duty are, the fact is that they sell in their millions & the WiiU could do with these games because these games will bring more people into the Nintendo fold & the more people with WiiU's the more games the WiiU will get.

Nintendo can still make it right but time is running out fast, the WiiU has until the PS4 & X720 are released, otherwise it's game over.

#13 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nintendo & Iwata MUST of known this was going to happen when they were designing the WiiU so why has it taken sooo long for Nintendo & Iwata to realise this, the same thing happened to the 3DS, they would of known the PS4 & X720 were going to be released a year or so after the WiiU was launched, i am not going to start going into specs but another gigabyte or two of RAM wouldn't of gone a miss & neither would USB 3.0, but Nintendo have been very naive it seems.

The adverts for the WiiU have been nonexistent & the adverts that have been made are patronizing to say the least, Nintendo wanted the so called core or hardcore gamer to invest in the WiiU & don't go on about how bad FIFA & Call of Duty are, the fact is that they sell in their millions & the WiiU could do with these games because these games will bring more people into the Nintendo fold & the more people with WiiU's the more games the WiiU will get.

Nintendo can still make it right but time is running out fast, the WiiU has until the PS4 & X720 are released, otherwise it's game over.

I think the problem is Nintendo seems to try to let third party developers shine. They know that no one wants to fight for gamers mindshare and wallets against the grandfather that is Nintendo. Numbers don't lie, and numbers prove Nintendo games sell on Nintendo hardware.

In making that choice, and not allowing enough time in between the 3DS and Wii U to allow for a change in strategy, ended up costing them a lot.

In the end, Nintendo is going to make up for it this year which is when they need to kick it into gear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!