Photo

Update speed boost to cpu &gpu utter rubbish?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

http://mynintendonew..._medium=twitter

Rubbish yeah?

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

I'd say it's unlikely given the new figures, 3.24GHz and 800MHz from 1.24GHz and 550MHz. I'll wait for others like 3Dude to comment on this though.

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for posting. Lets leave it to routerbad, 3ddude, morbid god, and some of the other folks who know their stuff.... cause i don't.  :laugh:

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

POPULAR

absolute rubbish, lets stop this before it even starts.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

The 3Dude has spoken!

#6 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Ta 3Dude.

Posted Image

#7 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

What's the max Nintendo could boost the Wii U CPU/GPU realistic? And Why would the Wii U be under clocked at launch?

It's indeed rubbish.

Edited by namkotje, 10 May 2013 - 04:59 AM.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#8 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

Is it not possible to overclock core speeds with an update? I'd assume you could.

The numbers on display however are far too high. Surely it would be possible to take the CPU speeds up to say, 2.0 GHZ and the GPU to 600 MHZ.

I'm not suggesting this rumour is true (it's clearly not), I'm just saying would it not be possible, just to a lesser extent?

Bring the noise.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

CPU: IBM PowerPC 7xx-based tri-core processor “Espresso” clocked at 1.24 GHz before the 3.0.0 update, 3.24 GHz after the 3.0.0 update. This is an evolution to the Broadway chip used in the Wii, is 64 bit and uses Power6 technote When IBM has said that Nintendo has licensed the Power7 tech from IBM, Nintendo is not using it for the Wii U, explaining its backwards compatibility.
GPU: AMD Radeon High Definition processor codenamed “Latte” with an eDRAM cache built onto the die clocked at 550 MHz before the 3.0.0 update, 800 MHz after the 3.0.0 update.

LMAO

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

Is it not possible to overclock core speeds with an update? I'd assume you could.
The numbers on display however are far too high. Surely it would be possible to take the CPU speeds up to say, 2.0 GHZ and the GPU to 600 MHZ.
I'm not suggesting this rumour is true (it's clearly not), I'm just saying would it not be possible, just to a lesser extent?

Pretty sure it'd be possible but it would increase heat and power consumption, most likely.

#11 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Pretty sure it'd be possible but it would increase heat and power consumption, most likely.

Yeah, like I said, this rumour is utter arse.

Bring the noise.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

What's the max Nintendo could boost the Wii U CPU/GPU realistic? And Why would the Wii U be under clocked at launch?

It's indeed rubbish.

Well, the fx gx and even cle could reach over 1Ghz @ 90 nm, and espresso is 45 nm.

But over 3Ghz? Thats just fake. Its a 4 or so pipeline architecture.

It may get a clock bump in the future, it has plenty of room for the extra voltage, and plenty of thermal leeway.

But this, this is just silly. Its just too much.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Well, the fx gx and even cle could reach over 1Ghz @ 90 nm, and espresso is 45 nm.

But over 3Ghz? Thats just fake. Its a 4 or so pipeline architecture.

It may get a clock bump in the future, it has plenty of room for the extra voltage, and plenty of thermal leeway.

But this, this is just silly. Its just too much.

Could it still be possible that there was a boost in clock speeds but of course not that insane amount which is beyond reality? 

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#14 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

that 1.2ghz must be idle and the other the real clock

28gxdv8.png

#15 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

The only reason i even bothered posting the link is because i'm sure my fan seems louder since the update which must mean it's working harder.

Maybe a small tweek has been done? but would a speed tweek make the current games run funny?

Posted Image

#16 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

When the clock speed of 1.2GHz was found, the person who discovered it claimed this was the clock speed of the CPU under load, I believe.

Edited by Amnesia, 10 May 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#17 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Was it ever confirmed that the cpu was 1.24 ghz? Even if this story is rubbish, it still stands that we don't know much about the hardware and half the GPU is a mystery, final dev kits didn't get out until last minute, so 6 months after release we are seeing solid performance increases after update optimizations. I would love to hear a response from Nintendo.

We are due another update this summer correct? And I believe that will also increase performance in the OS again?

I have answered one of my own questions, "On today's Nintendo Direct stream, president Satoru Iwata announced the Wii U is getting two major firmware updates this year -- one in Spring and one in Summer"

So the OS has really improved considerably, and it will get even better in Summer? woohoo!

Perhaps the reason some of the big hitting games were delayed as well, like Pikimin 3, Wonderful 101... perhaps to take advantage of some increased performance?

Edited by Sorceror12, 10 May 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#18 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Is it the slightest possibility that Nintendo underclocked them at launch and is just now clocking them back up?

Posted Image

#19 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Is it the slightest possibility that Nintendo underclocked them at launch and is just now clocking them back up?

The only problem is, it would still actually raise heat and power consumption, probably. Also, the CPU seems to be designed for performance, not clock speed. So it's unlikely that the clock speed was meant to be very high.

There are always possibilities of things, but like 3Dude said, 3.2GHz seems unlikely.

#20 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

What utter rubbish if there was any change in the clock it'd be from 1.24Ghz to 1.48/1.5 and from 550Mhz to 600Mhz, impossible to go further without a massive chunky cooling system in place for OCing, even OCing it by that small amount may cause 360 style RRODs

Edited by Penguin101, 10 May 2013 - 06:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!