Photo

CryEngine 3 Vs Frostbite Engine Ver. 3, Why such discrepancies?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Not really, a lot of times newer engines actually have new more efficient ways of doing things, which makes those features less demanding on the hardware.  However, the majority of new game engines are loaded with new advanced features that also require more powerful hardware.  Its kind of like when Epic said the UE4 could scale to a tablet or smartphone, but the majority of that engines advanced features would go unused.  

i know about the more effiency part. i was talking about engines highly optimized for spacific hardware, the optimization causing the engine to run worse on hardware it wasnt optimized for, so optimizing for next gen(low clocked, Out of Order, CPU's, ect.) would be poorly optimized for last.

#22 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

i know about the more effiency part. i was talking about engines highly optimized for spacific hardware, the optimization causing the engine to run worse on hardware it wasnt optimized for, so optimizing for next gen(low clocked, Out of Order, CPU's, ect.) would be poorly optimized for last.

There is some truth to this, but the programmers are pretty good at optimizing engines to make it work.  What will be apparent are the features that have to be ripped out of the last gen version of the engine simply because those systems don't support what they are doing.

#23 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

EA won't come out and say that they aren't supporting WiiU due to bad business relationships, they would have to deal with a hellstorm if they did, because it makes them look even more grubby

EA could at least say currently the Wii U doesn't fot into our business plan, but if that changes we will fully support it.

But instead they give us some made up excuse that isn't true.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#24 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

EA could at least say currently the Wii U doesn't fot into our business plan, but if that changes we will fully support it.

But instead they give us some made up excuse that isn't true.

Basically what came out of their investor meeting is that they aren't even going to put R&D money into putting any of their games on it.  Flatlining was the term the VG media used I think.

#25 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

"You're assuming EA are using frostbite 3 on 360?

It would make more sense if they're using 2 on those."

That makes more sense?

I don't keep up to date with much ea and no battlefield news as neither interest me.

Toning down features means watch dogs on pc and wii u will look alike, but the pc version will be prettier.

Does that example help you understand?

Yeah, no. Why the hell would they utilize outdated software when the new, shinier, prettier software does the exact same thing, but more efficiently? That doesn't make any sense.

I don't either.

No, I never asked what that meant.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#26 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

No, I never asked what that meant.

What you going on about toning down features? That's completely irrelevant.

What were you saying then?
Because my point was cryengine isn't as in-depth in some areas as frostbite is, which is why EA would decide to use one piece of technology over the other when making a new game.

Yeah, no. Why the hell would they utilize outdated software when the new, shinier, prettier software does the exact same thing, but more efficiently? That doesn't make any sense.

Because that's why you make engines.
I think Ubisoft, when they first announced Watch Dogs, they said the PS3/360 versions would use the Anvil engine (?) while the newer generation (Wii U, PC etc.) would use their new, in development engine.
you see how Ubisoft can do it, so too could EA if they wanted to.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

There is literally nothing frostbite 3 does that the wii u cant handle gameplay/design wise, or hell, even fb4.

80% of the processing overhead the engine demands is graphics. its paint, frosting and sprinkles and nothing more.

Only 15% is used for simulation like physics, 4% on miscelanious executables, and only a pathetic 1% on actual game code. Game code is that tricky branchy stuff devs hate, that actually makes games DIFFERENT from each other.

DICE is so focused on graphics, and their engine is so pathetically weak in any other category that they dont even FORESEE themselves NEEDING a cpu AT ALL in the future. They feel they can just waste some compute cycles on the gpu to run trivial things like game code in their 'video game'.

Yeah, this all comes from dice themselves by the way.

K5ZZzyW.png

Frostbite is nowhere remotely close to being cpu intensive. Hell dice even ACCIDENTALLY ADMITTED their code runs better on wii u than ps360 (wii u is OoO Execution).

So that crap they said, is just that. Crap. Its something to say so they dont have to deal with the subject anymore.

Edited by 3Dude, 13 May 2013 - 04:37 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Basically what came out of their investor meeting is that they aren't even going to put R&D money into putting any of their games on it. Flatlining was the term the VG media used I think.

I'm talking about the EA DICE dev who spoke out on twitter. What meeting you talking about?

#29 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

An investor meeting!

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#30 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'm talking about the EA DICE dev who spoke out on twitter. What meeting you talking about?

EA's Investor meeting, all of the major publishers have been meeting their investors recently.

#31 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

It's financial year something something!

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#32 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

EA bieng EA in other words Electronic A$$h013$. They are just butthurt that Nintendo said no to Origin, Wii U even if it was just 1% more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3 (which it isn't it's loads more powerful) would be able to run Frostbite 3. They can get it running on hardware almost 10 years old, that's pathetic EA, Pathetic.

#33 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Has anyone mentioned cryengine 3.0 is an older engine developed back in 2009 and was used for 2011 releases onwards like Crysis 2? Just seems like the thread is comparing an older game engine with the newer frostbite and unreal engines.

All of these engines are scalable anyway but if you want to see them running at maximum performance obviously you need capable hardware.

Clearly which ever side you are on with regard the wii u spec this is bad news for the wii u sadly. Frostbite will power many great games and for those people who only have the wii u they will be denied access to these games whether it is for technical or commerical reasons. It's very unlikely any frostbite based game will ever be converted to wii u using a different game engine.

Maybe ubisoft's disrupt engine used for watchdogs will be used for other future wii u games.

#34 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Has anyone mentioned cryengine 3.0 is an older engine developed back in 2009 and was used for 2011 releases onwards like Crysis 2? Just seems like the thread is comparing an older game engine with the newer frostbite and unreal engines.

All of these engines are scalable anyway but if you want to see them running at maximum performance obviously you need capable hardware.

Clearly which ever side you are on with regard the wii u spec this is bad news for the wii u sadly. Frostbite will power many great games and for those people who only have the wii u they will be denied access to these games whether it is for technical or commerical reasons. It's very unlikely any frostbite based game will ever be converted to wii u using a different game engine.

Maybe ubisoft's disrupt engine used for watchdogs will be used for other future wii u games

Ubisoft is using that engine for the Wii U. Or do you mean they might use it for future games?

#35 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

So, look at this:

http://wiiclube.uol....e-com-as-demais

#36 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Maybe ubisoft's disrupt engine used for watchdogs will be used for other future wii u games.

Cryengine receives updates just like Unreal.

Only they don't add a few features and add a whole new version number, unlike certain competitors...

The Cryengine 3 in use now is not the same Cryengine 3 when it first arrived. It's why Crysis 3 makes Crysis 2 look like a heaping pile of dung.

And it is a more impressive and robust engine than FrostBite 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!