#1 Dh00mGuard

Dh00mGuard

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Pokemon

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

The 3ds will get its own virtual console. This leads me to believe that Nintendo wont abandon the service for Wii2. What directions can they take the service next?

If nintendo adds a large HD and continues GC controller support (and isn't WaveBird tech legal again?) they could instantly create a massive virtual console library of gamecube games. Since the Wii can run gamecube games natively, theres no reason the Wii2 won't be able to. All gamecube games should require very little effort to port them to this download service. I suspect Nintendo wouldn't be able to resist releasing gamecube games slowly but it would be amazing to have hundreds of download options at launch.

Thoughts?

#2 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

The likely way the Virtual Console will noticeably change is by included Gamecube games to the preexisting service. I doubt there will be many at launch though merely a few of the more popular games. Outside that something I always thought Nintendo could do with the Virtual Console is offer a monthly subscription to stream access to previous games. It would be smart on Nintendo's part to do so as individuals that may not buy many games from the Virtual Console may very likely be willing to pay $11.99 a month for unlimited access. As far as storage looking at the 3DS the Wii's successor will more than likely have greater internal storage, but I have a feeling willing it will merely be 8 or 16 GBs of flash storage with the option to expand memory storage by SSD cards. At most an option to buy a dedicated external hard drive may be included among the early accessories.

#3 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

I agree that the Virtual Console is here to stay. I don't know if we should be considering GameCube games a given just yet, though; if the Wii 2 itself provides native support for Wii games, it would be a bit off-putting not to provide GCN support, too, seeing as the CPU architecture is identical in both systems.

However, I think there's a distinct possibility that Nintendo will want to finally phase out and completely retire the GameCube (that means its controllers, too), in which case I think it's certainly possible that you might not be able to play GCN games on it simply because there'll be no way to plug in the necessary controllers and memory cards. Leaving us with a possible GCN move to the Virtual Console.

I wouldn't worry about storage too much; after all the bad rap Nintendo got about putting 512 MB of memory in the Wii, I'm sure that they'll give us more generous memory allotments in its successor. It's possible they might put a hard drive in it, though that may compromise the legendary durability that Nintendo's products are famous for; alternatively, I wouldn't count out an SSD. They'll probably go down in price enough to be a feasible option by the time the Wii 2 actually comes around (and remember that Nintendo can get wicked bulk pricing on all of their parts). SD cards will probably be an option for expansion, too - perhaps we'll get SDXC support, for cards up to 2 TB in size?

#4 dannyboy

dannyboy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Fandom:
    all nintendo characters

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Yeah Nintendo aren't going to abandon the vc any time soon cause digital distribution is the way things are going these days. Also I love the sound of GC games for download cause there were some amazing games on it so fingers crossed
http://amazing-nintendo.blogspot.com/
my new blog all about Nintendo so go and have a look though its not just as good as here but go for a look and sign up to the forum if you want

#5 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

I think that the Wii 2's download service will be the perfect time for Nintendo to flirt with the idea of subscriptions and rentals. Nintendo knows that 99-cent games are killing the industry, and the ability to get Secret of Evermore for the weekend because you're in the mood for it, keep the save, and then rent it again the next time you're in the mood for it could be very successful.

#6 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

If nintendo adds a large HD and continues GC controller support (and isn't WaveBird tech legal again?) they could instantly create a massive virtual console library of gamecube games. Since the Wii can run gamecube games natively, theres no reason the Wii2 won't be able to. All gamecube games should require very little effort to port them to this download service. I suspect Nintendo wouldn't be able to resist releasing gamecube games slowly but it would be amazing to have hundreds of download options at launch.

I love the idea of being able to play StarFox Assault without going on a GameStop hunt, but the only problems would be:

-Download length. Each GameCube game would be anywhere from 500 MB to 1.4 GB, and without background downloading, this could be a big annoyance.
-Price. Knowing how Nintendo loves to overprice decade-old games almost as much as Square, I can't see many people dishing out at least $20 for something they could get on eBay for at least half the price (in physical form, to boot).

#7 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

-Download length. Each GameCube game would be anywhere from 500 MB to 1.4 GB, and without background downloading, this could be a big annoyance.

This is a good point. I know that I already get near enough to my monthly bandwidth as it is, I don't need a Windwaker sale to taunt me when I'm almost over >.>
Not only that, but assume the SWcES64 has 25 GB storage... Alongside all the other goodies Nintendo will throw into the console, I doubt I'm going to save a whole 25th of it for a single old game I can buy on a disk. This is the reason why Iphone games are not as deep as they could be; I'm not about to buy a 2 GB app when I'm already using 7 GB for music :s
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#8 Pikachu

Pikachu

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

The Virtual Console for the Wii 2 is a definite. It came for the Wii and the 3DS. The Wii 2 can't fail it's own predessesor, right?
Posted Image
I'm Pikachu. Pika. Pika.

#9 0003mg

0003mg

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think they should have users suggest what games they want.

#10 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'm confident we'll see a virtual console on the Wii 2. I hope we'll get Gamecube games as part of it. I really like the idea of a Rental service. I'm the sort of person who is reluctant to pay for games, so I would use this a lot.

#11 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Here's an idea I've been thinking about: how about making the Wii 2's and 3DS's Virtual Consoles sync with each other, so you could start a game on the TV, then take it with you when you have to leave? It wouldn't be difficult at all on a technical level, but I feel it would add an awful lot of value to both systems. Especially if you don't have to buy the same game twice to play it on each system.

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

That wouldn't happen because Nintendo always want to keep the handheld experience completely separate from the home console experience.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Ratchet

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

Here's an idea I've been thinking about: how about making the Wii 2's and 3DS's Virtual Consoles sync with each other, so you could start a game on the TV, then take it with you when you have to leave? It wouldn't be difficult at all on a technical level, but I feel it would add an awful lot of value to both systems. Especially if you don't have to buy the same game twice to play it on each system.

I don't think Nintendo would do that but it is possible. They did say they wanted to change the way people play games at home and that definitely would.
Assistant Writer of Wii U Go and Vita/3DS enthusiast.

#14 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

To be honest, I'm quite worried about it. Look at how much the speed of Virtual Console games has gone down since it started. Once it was three or four games a week, now it's 1/2 a week. Adding Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, and other consoles support can only extend it's lifespan for so long.

If Nintendo doesn't find a way to keep the Virtual Console alive by completely rebooting it next gen and actually try to put forth efforts towards solving licensing issues, they will eventually switch to Plan B; abandon it entirely mid next-gen.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

#15 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

To be honest, I'm quite worried about it. Look at how much the speed of Virtual Console games has gone down since it started. Once it was three or four games a week, now it's 1/2 a week. Adding Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, and other consoles support can only extend it's lifespan for so long.

If Nintendo doesn't find a way to keep the Virtual Console alive by completely rebooting it next gen and actually try to put forth efforts towards solving licensing issues, they will eventually switch to Plan B; abandon it entirely mid next-gen.

Perhaps the reason the Virtual Console is slowing down is simply because they're actually running out of games to put on it? No one is actively developing games for retro consoles anymore, and there is a finite number of titles that were released for them.

I don't think they're about to abandon it - especially seeing as it's making a comeback on the 3DS, and it's been such a huge moneymaker for them, slow or not.

#16 Someone

Someone

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

I've been wanting Donkey Kong 64 on the VC, so hopefully they'll put that (and more N64 games) on the Wii 2 eShop. They could also put GameCube games on it and even possibly some Wii games if they want to move towards DLC, but I don't think they would want to do that, since that would be a huge memory hog. Other than that, I don't think there's much else they could put on the Virtual Console store once they're finished putting all the games for the current consoles on the Virtual Console and done putting all the GameCube games on (if they decide to put GCN games up).

NOTE: If some parts of this post don't make sense, it's because I'm tired right now. I'm going to go to sleep soon and check this in the morning for errors so I don't get everything else all mangled up!

Edited by Someone, 04 June 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#17 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:36 AM

I think that there's a decent chance of some Gamecube games appearing on the Virtual Console, although if they do, I expect that titles like Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine would be quite expensive. I would happily pay £10-£20 for those games though. I think that Wii games on the Virtual Console is not going to happen with the Wii 2. As you said Someone, they would take up quite a lot of memory and would take ages to download. The console will probably be backwards compatible with Wii games and they will still be available in shops for sometime, so I can't see them on the Virtual Console.

#18 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

@Feld0: This is why I feel that Nintendo released too many games too quickly early on and now that the Virtual Console is running out of games, Nintendo can't do anything about it. Yeah it was inevitable, but they should have at least tried to space out a game a week.

It may be successful for now, but it is losing a lot of steam. Each progressive year had Nintendo with less and less money coming from the VC and for good reasons. If the 3DS Virtual Console doesn't succeed, I'm not sure if they'll do more then the minimal on the next console VC. I'm hoping that it does well because I absolutely love the service and it's basically my only gateway for playing retro games.

I've been wanting Donkey Kong 64 on the VC, so hopefully they'll put that (and more N64 games) on the Wii 2 eShop. They could also put GameCube games on it and even possibly some Wii games if they want to move towards DLC, but I don't think they would want to do that, since that would be a huge memory hog. Other than that, I don't think there's much else they could put on the Virtual Console store once they're finished putting all the NES, SNES, N64, etc. games on the Virtual Console and done putting all the GameCube games on (if they decide to put GCN games up).

NOTE: If some parts of this post don't make sense, it's because I'm tired right now. I'm going to go to sleep soon and check this in the morning for errors so I don't get everything else all mangled up!

There's always the bigger N64/Neo Geo games/Arcade gamest that they can put on the Virtual Console next gen that they couldn't put on this generation. Also don't forget about Saturn/Dreamcast. But I think Nintendo needs to do more next gen then just add more consoles to keep the Virtual Console as a popular download place as it has been receiving less and less money as the years goes on.

Edited by Limelight788, 04 June 2011 - 07:13 AM.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!