Photo

Hackers discover new things about Wii U GamePad

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

http://www.nintendol...ort_as_standard

Some of these included upgradable firmware which could allow newer uses for it in the future. Additionally, dual Gamepad support is already there, it's just not compatible with anything yet
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

POPULAR

Some of these included upgradable firmware which could allow newer uses for it in the future. Additionally, dual Gamepad support is already there, it's just not compatible with anything yet

But the Wii U is so under powered, it could not be capable of 2 gamepad support. The gamepad is such a gimmick, one gamepad is enough as it doesn't work well anyways. Oh and the Wii U can't even run Frostbite 3, so there is no way, 

Sarcasm ended.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

I actually heard something about the upgradable firmware a while ago. I think it was on this forum, but I'm not sure. Maybe they could add a clock to the TV control screen? Or make the TV remote have more functions???

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#4 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Maybe the first game using 2 gamepads isn`t that far away now.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

this actually isnt new at all.

but everything else in the article is.

Edited by 3Dude, 15 May 2013 - 03:54 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

The hackers found that Nintendo is using custom protocols to beam information from the pad to the console (and back), which discounts previous theories that the Wii U made use of Miracast technology.

Owned. I remember someone saying the opposite here.

They also discovered that the controller's firmware is upgradeable, which means that Nintendo could offer increased functionality over time. This could mean cloud-based gaming, but developer Pierre Bourdon feels its too early to say:

I noticed the upad had firmware when Nintendo sent me a replacement for mine which broke, it needed to update the upad before I could play anything.

Cloud is a stretch I think. Wouldn't that make it a portable?

http://thewiiu.com/t...-wii-u-gamepad/

Supposedly it's the guys what put this video up.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Here is a more detailed article with some numbers,

http://www.eurogamer...e-wii-u-gamepad

"Video is compressed using h.264 (baseline profile, so no B frames)," Bourdon shares. "Audio is usually uncompressed, but we've found mentions of compressed audio formats in the firmware... We found mentions of [Miracast] when we started working on the GamePad, but it turned out to be false. There is no Miracast anywhere in that GamePad. Audio, video and input streaming is done over custom protocols."

Baseline profile h.264 rules out many of the more advanced compression techniques employed by the codec, but Nintendo makes up for it via sheer, raw bandwidth. A sample capture from the Wii U WiFi stream offers up 33MB of data captured across 87 seconds - this gives us an average of around 3mbps. This is fairly lavish for an 858x480 stream at 60 frames per second, but the video captured here is only displaying the Wii U's front-end menus. Pierre Bourdon tells us that the Wii U uses variable bitrate, meaning that bandwidth scales up according to the complexity of the image it has to encode.

The confirmation of an h.264 encoder built-in to the Wii U (it's believed to be a part of the graphics chip) is similar to elements of the hardware found in both the next-gen Xbox and the PlayStation 4, so there is the slight possibility that cloud functions could be grafted on to the Wii U, especially since Bourdon confirmed that functionality for supporting two Wii U GamePads simultaneously is built into the firmware.

Edited by Sorceror12, 15 May 2013 - 07:50 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#8 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

My GamePad has all ready updated. So I knew that. I also expected that dual gamepad support was there just not being used.

But still cool to hear.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

It's cool that the support for 2 gamepads is there but I can't see myself usingit for a while yet, simple fact is gamepads are gonna be expensive and I got no monies :( I take extra care with my current one so I don't break it, that's hard enough!

#10 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

I wonder if they will ever make a game pad the supports 720p. It would be expensive but I can see people buying it like me lol

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

[quote name="Cozmo" post="207584" timestamp="1368680347"]

I wonder if they will ever make a game pad the supports 720p. It would be expensive but I can see people buying it like me lol[/quote
But why would people need 720p for such a small screen? There wouldn't be much of a point unless they made the screen bigger.

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

I wonder if existing games like Sonic All-Stars can be updated to support a second gamepad. And does that mean the Wii U can support six players at the same time?

And my TV has dedicated remote buttons for each input. I hope they eventually support that, because the single input button doesn't work.

Edited by grahamf, 16 May 2013 - 09:38 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

[quote name="Cozmo" post="207584" timestamp="1368680347"]

I wonder if they will ever make a game pad the supports 720p. It would be expensive but I can see people buying it like me lol[/quote
But why would people need 720p for such a small screen? There wouldn't be much of a point unless they made the screen bigger.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 disagrees, not to mention the new phones coming with 1080p screens at 5".  When watching videos on my Note 2 it actually appears as large in my vision as my 47" HDTV, due to being so much closer to it so you DO see the details very clearly indeed.

However its not really practical on the Wii U as you would be cramming more pixels into the same H264 video stream.  It would use more power for the Wii U to do, reducing how much can be done on the TV screen, and some games already have visible ghosting from the video encoding so if anything the current video feed could do with a higher bitrate not cramming more pixels into the current one.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!