26 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

1) Voice Commands/voice recognition yes it's stupid, I'd far much just press a few keys on the touchpad, but you'll get people complaining that the Wii U can't handle it, Nintendo just need to add it.

2) Face recognition login, again this is hit or miss, it's far easier just for me to tap my user login than wait for the Wii U's SD webcam and processor to recognise my face. I have trouble enough teaching my PC's webcam to recognise my face for login, and that's more powerful than the PS4 and XBO!

3) Further streamlining of OS - yes the OS runs fast now, it's adequate and I have no complaints on the speed HOWEVER the more improvements that come the more blocked up it's going to get I presume. So keep on cutting down the amount of code required to process certain tasks would be a good idea, either to speed things up cutting the loading times by half again or just maintaining the speeds we have now while improving on what the OS can do.

4) Sleep function. I'm very confident the Wii U can handle this. Again it's useless but adding useless things in competition with the PS4 and XBO OSs is important because people in general are fickle when it comes to buying products and brands they're like sheep, and can be easily swayed by a single trivial point. Even with the 3DS you can close the lid and resume playing later, I don't see a reason why Nintendo can't do this,especially with dedicated RAM for OS and the game. It's basically a glorified version of pausing the game and cutting the TV and gamepad outputs.

4) Video content sharing - this I don't need and I doubt the Wii U can handle unless Nintendo used cloud innovations.

5) Do their own thing. Nintendo are great at doing this, yes it's important to keep the OS up to date with other console's but it has to keep its Unique Selling Point (USP) and hey should be pushing for something that no console OSs do so far.

What do you guys think?

#2 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

I think these are good things to do, all though voice recognition is a bit out of the realm of possibility. I think what Ninty needs most to compete is an amazing first party lineup. And with their partnership with SEGA, we can expect some pretty good games form them.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#3 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

-New layout, should take notes of 360 OS

-Be able to add small widgets

eg. Stick notes, clocks, weather updates, news reports, quick twitter/facebook messenger.

-Video sharing would be great but it isn't necessary, especially if it chugs the OS.

-Prediction mode wouldn't be a hard thing to add

-Improved internet data speeds for both wireless and Lan adapter

-Perhaps a reinstalled game?

-Simplified code would be great

-Secret Nintendo easter eggs

eg. Ability to play Donkey Kong, Zork, etc.

-Easy Facebook and twitter app that doesn't deviate to much from original format in order to reduce having a confusing layout.

Edited by AndyG, 22 May 2013 - 02:23 AM.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#4 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

-New layout, should take notes of 360 OS

-Be able to add small widgets

eg. Stick notes, clocks, weather updates, news reports, quick twitter/facebook messenger.

-Video sharing would be great but it isn't necessary, especially if it chugs the OS.

-Prediction mode wouldn't be a hard thing to add

-Improved internet data speeds for both wireless and Lan adapter

-Perhaps a reinstalled game?

-Simplified code would be great

-Secret Nintendo easter eggs

-Easy Facebook and twitter app that doesn't deviate to much from original format in order to reduce having a confusing layout.

Pre-installed games sound great, wish WarioWare was one of them at launch.

Facebook and twitter app would be great, support of a third party chat app similar to skype that can be accessed on all devices. I like the layout already, but something crazy-cool is missing....

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

4) Sleep function. I'm very confident the Wii U can handle this. Again it's useless but adding useless things in competition with the PS4 and XBO OSs is important because people in general are fickle when it comes to buying products and brands they're like sheep, and can be easily swayed by a single trivial point. Even with the 3DS you can close the lid and resume playing later, I don't see a reason why Nintendo can't do this,especially with dedicated RAM for OS and the game. It's basically a glorified version of pausing the game and cutting the TV and gamepad outputs.

4) Video content sharing - this I don't need and I doubt the Wii U can handle unless Nintendo used cloud innovations.

5) Do their own thing. Nintendo are great at doing this, yes it's important to keep the OS up to date with other console's but it has to keep its Unique Selling Point (USP) and hey should be pushing for something that no console OSs do so far.

What do you guys think?

1,2,3 are stupid.
Nintendo have had what people would want from the sleep function since the Wii. Your controller can turn on and off the console comfortably.
Leaving it in sleep would cost you a fortune for x1, but Wii U already has it, how do you think they download stuff automagically now?
My pockets will be crying.

See, number 4.2 I agree with. Screenshots was awesome, video would be nice.
Why would they need a cloud? They already said you'd be able to post in-game, so it'd be a simple thing for specific games to ad in a "start recording" option to the start/pause menu.
Again, Nintendo not doing a system-wide thing, because they didn't think things through, but it'd be good enough if they made the code simple to implement.

Nah, Nitendo did their own thing for Wii U and it now needs to be changed according to everyone here.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

The problem Nintendo didn't design the console to do these things. Wii U can do your number one, two and 4. But just not as well. Why do you think Sony and Microsoft has 8 cores and 8GB of ram? To do these things and do them well.

Nintendo should do their own thing. Come up with a unique selling point and go with it. They aren't copiers, they are innovator's.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#7 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Nintendo shouldn't worry about competing with Xbox per se.  They won't win that many battles for those customers, IMO. Looks to me like a lot of the stuff they added wasn't even really to enhance the gaming experience but for general entertainment purposes. They probably realize that Windows' days as a cash cow are on the wane.

Nintendo needs to focus on getting more games in the pipeline and going after folks like me. Light gamers that enjoyed the simplicity and ease of use of the Wii.  Create games that the whole family can enjoy.  I like the idea of some simple pre-installed games- or games you can download for free/very low cost at the eShop.  also like the idea of a Nintendoland II.  The Olympics deal looks pretty cool.

#8 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Also bare in mind Nintendo doesn't have a good track record for OS's. Simple ones, sure. But the Wii's OS, and especially the Wii U OS, aren't known to be fast.

Honestly, next time Nintendo should outsource and get Linux. Be so much better.

#9 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'd love to be able to record and upload video to MiiVerse or directly to youtube.

I'd love to be able to record and upload video to MiiVerse or directly to youtube.

#10 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

The problem Nintendo didn't design the console to do these things. Wii U can do your number one, two and 4. But just not as well. Why do you think Sony and Microsoft has 8 cores and 8GB of ram? To do these things and do them well.

Nintendo should do their own thing. Come up with a unique selling point and go with it. They aren't copiers, they are innovator's.

Totally agree.  I don't care for most of what's in the OP's list, especially stuff like voice commands and face recognition.  To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'd want.  When I see most discussions about gaming on the internet, I feel like some old fogey who isn't with the times, but I really just don't care much about what the system does besides turn on and play games.

When someone says, "Do you want voice commands" etc. then I know I don't want that, but if someone were to ask me how I would improve the Wii U's OS I'm not sure what I'd say.  I really just want good games.  But, like you're saying, if Nintendo could innovate and show me something that I didn't know I needed or would really like, that would be fine.  As it is, I don't care about all the bells and whistles of the PS4 and Xbox One like sharing, video recording, multitasking and all this stuff.  

And the thing is, I'm not an old fogey.  I'm 27.  Am I really weird?!?!  It seems some might say that I'm a "casual gamer" but the thing is I don't see why not caring about all that extra stuff would make me a casual gamer.  Wouldn't it make me a serious gamer and non-enthusiast-of-consoles-masquerading-as-PCs?

Edited by kokirii, 22 May 2013 - 11:30 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Totally agree. I don't care for most of what's in the OP's list, especially stuff like voice commands and face recognition. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'd want. When I see most discussions about gaming on the internet, I feel like some old fogey who isn't with the times, but I really just don't care much about what the system does besides turn on and play games.

When someone says, "Do you want voice commands" etc. then I know I don't want that, but if someone were to ask me how I would improve the Wii U's OS I'm not sure what I'd say. I really just want good games. But, like you're saying, if Nintendo could innovate and show me something that I didn't know I needed or would really like, that would be fine. As it is, I don't care about all the bells and whistles of the PS4 and Xbox One like sharing, video recording, multitasking and all this stuff.

And the thing is, I'm not an old fogey. I'm 27. Am I really weird?!?! It seems some might say that I'm a "casual gamer" but the thing is I don't see why not caring about all that extra stuff would make me a casual gamer. Wouldn't it make me a serious gamer and non-enthusiast-of-consoles-masquerading-as-PCs?

Exactly. ^_^

#12 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Give us some damn medals already.

You know how sad it feels to beat Orochi X on Chaos and only get a "Clear". It's pretty sad. You know how sad it is to beat the extra dungeon in Darksiders only to get derped. Pretty sad. You know how sad it is to upgrade all your shiz in Batman and get nothing. Pretty sad. You know Nintendoland. Goddamn, that was just sad. Prestige Master. Sad. Lego City after game. Sad. Monster Hunting. Not sad but goddamn I have no time. Ken's Rage 2. The ending was sad, should've finished a chapter early, it was perfect but then it was just wtf mode. Ninja Gaiden 3... let's not talk about it.

I want to be rewarded for the extra mileage. IS THAT SO WRONG NINTENDO?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#13 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

I think these are good things to do, all though voice recognition is a bit out of the realm of possibility. I think what Ninty needs most to compete is an amazing first party lineup. And with their partnership with SEGA, we can expect some pretty good games form them.

Voice recognition is EASILY possible.  esp with the mic built in on the GamePad.

The Wii U hardware has sooooooooo much potential, it's not even funny.

Actually, watching the xbox demo with smartglass, i kept thinking how cumbersome it was.  Who wants to have to use a smart phone or tablet to intereact with your xbox.  After all, why use the tv for your smartphone intereaction when you could just as easily see it on your phone without having to injure your neck to see what you need.

Enter Wii U GamePad.  Screen already there.  touch mechanism already there. 

MS and Sony have convoluted, expensive ways of trying to approximate the GamePad.  Only they can't do it near as well.

Even voice recognition.  Using the Wii U mic, it's a piece of cake.

#14 Xef

Xef

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'd want Nintendo to focus on gaming and no TV/Entertainment multitask unicorn tongue that increases the cost of the console for features I don't need/want/use ... Oh wait they already do focus on the gaming :) I'm good, now just bring the games and I'm set for 5-6 years.

#15 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Cross-Game Chat and the ability to install disc-based games to my HDD.

Posted Image

#16 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

@Penguin101

1) I disagree. If people are getting lazier and lazier... I think they should AT LEAST do an effort into pressing the power button of the console. Or on the gamepad for U's case. Vocal commands in this situation is just lazy.

2) Face recognition is hit and miss like you said. If people stopped being lazy and don't use the same password, or at least have an inventory of them, AND put an effort into making a good password, there would be next to need for facial recognition.

3) I agree with this. If the system indeed use an SSD as storage even if it's on SATA2 there are NO reason to have a slow OS. They did an amazing effort with April's update. However, it isn't as fast as it could be and I agree. Accessing a menu and getting out of one should be next to instant. This is 2013, not 1985.

4.1) Wasn't that done already?

4.2) WiiU is underpowered for that. At least, right now, we have a way of retrieving screenshots from Miiverse. As for cloud, I don't think that's possible either. Recording a video needs an amazing amount of computing power. It even brings gaming PCs to a crawl (i.e 120+ fps -> 30fps, which creates lag). If you upload directly to cloud, well, you need this one heck of upload speed to sustain the recording without lag. And over Wifi? Good luck~~

5) I agree but at the same time I don't. You need to keep your own thing but at the same time, you need to be proactive with the gaming industry. Not only indies but also big third-party players and see what they want. Of course, stuff like EA wanting to invade Nintendo's console with Oricrap, needs to be countered.

1-New layout, should take notes of 360 OS

2-Be able to add small widgets

3-Video sharing would be great but it isn't necessary, especially if it chugs the OS.

4-Prediction mode wouldn't be a hard thing to add

5-Improved internet data speeds for both wireless and Lan adapter

6-Perhaps a reinstalled game?

7-Simplified code would be great

8-Secret Nintendo easter eggs

9-Easy Facebook and twitter app that doesn't deviate to much from original format in order to reduce having a confusing layout.

1) i.e. taking notes of Windows 8. NO THANKS.

2) they are always nice to have. Usually, somebody would prefer a computer for that though. My poinion though.

3) Video, in this context of underpower, is not feasible. Nice maybe, but not possible with what we have right now. See above.

4) I don't know what you mean by "Prediction mode".

5) Yes. Why is the WiiU unable to achieve 30Mbits on Wifi when a laptop is able to? That is a bug that needs to be addressed.

5a) Include an Ethernet port off the bat without a need for adapter.

6) what?

7) You mean optimizing code, right? if so, yes, it needs to. ALWAYS.

8) Knowing Nintendo, they would never do that from the OS but more inclined to make you pay for it.

9) I answer that in the widgets

Honestly, next time Nintendo should outsource and get Linux. Be so much better.

I agree! Get the latest kernel and start working around it instead of starting from scratch!

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#17 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Voice recognition is EASILY possible.  esp with the mic built in on the GamePad.

The Wii U hardware has sooooooooo much potential, it's not even funny.

Actually, watching the xbox demo with smartglass, i kept thinking how cumbersome it was.  Who wants to have to use a smart phone or tablet to intereact with your xbox.  After all, why use the tv for your smartphone intereaction when you could just as easily see it on your phone without having to injure your neck to see what you need.

Enter Wii U GamePad.  Screen already there.  touch mechanism already there. 

MS and Sony have convoluted, expensive ways of trying to approximate the GamePad.  Only they can't do it near as well.

Even voice recognition.  Using the Wii U mic, it's a piece of cake.

^

Cross-Game Chat and the ability to install disc-based games to my HDD.

^ this too

Signature_Fox.png

#18 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

4) I don't know what you mean by "Prediction mode".

5) Yes. Why is the WiiU unable to achieve 30Mbits on Wifi when a laptop is able to? That is a bug that needs to be addressed.

5a) Include an Ethernet port off the bat without a need for adapter.

6) what?

7) You mean optimizing code, right? if so, yes, it needs to. ALWAYS.

8) Knowing Nintendo, they would never do that from the OS but more inclined to make you pay for it.

9) I answer that in the widgets

I agree! Get the latest kernel and start working around it instead of starting from scratch!

By prediction mode i mean having the WiiU take notes of the games you buy and offer suggestions of other games you may enjoy (without being too in your face). It's already available in all sorts of different platforms, the PS4 has especially made a big fuss about implementing it into their system, but this is definitely not a must have feature.

Whoops, i meant to say pre-installed software, a small minigame or something mildly entertaining for those that bought the system but are yet to get games. Game and Wario was meant to be a preinstalled game but the developers decided they had too many ideas that they wanted to implement, thus they decided to make it a retail game.

Nintendo should at least give developers a manuel on how to code on the WiiU since so many devs are finding it a little difficult to learn to work with this new architecture (mainly because their lazy, but a helping hand would be good, Nintendo can be there to help everyone at once).

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#19 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

What would be the point of voice recognition? To say "Wii U, open New Super Mario Brothers U"? It wouldn't add much and only the GamePad has a mic, I don't think it has noise cancelling either.

It's faster just to tap on the game from the GamePad.

#20 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

What they need to do is stop wasting time and money on the OS, and use those resources towards doing what the thing is built for and that's playing games.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!