Photo

Is the Xbox one going to have cooling issues?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hear me out. Did you see the great be honkin' vent on the top-right side of the XBone (when horizontal)?

Very, very, VERY few devices have a major vent on top. I've been planning to build a gaming HTPC the size of the ps4, and I have not found one case that makes sacrifices to size or cooling capability in order to avoid having a large vent on top.

And I think I now why: Obstruction.

My cousin usually leaves a game or to piled on top of his PS2 (stuff falls off of the PS3), and I realized that many people (including me) when watching a show will put the case for a DVD on top of the DVD player.

Now here's my guess: There may exist a scenario where people place game cases or other obstructions on top of the XBone, which obstructs airflow enough to prevent proper cooling. I can't say how likely this is, only that I think it may be possible. It won't be a common as the RROD which just needed a little dust and a warm room, but I think this might affect a small number of people.

Thoughts?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

it is possible, but it would be stupid to give it poor cooling (and mainly use vents) when you are basiclly spending an arm and a leg for something you most likely already own. but it wouldnt really matter, if it over heats and breaks from something being placed on top, you cant blame ms for that, just the stupid consumer (yes, if you do this person that is reading my words, i think you are stupid, deal with it)

It would actually be kind of funny if you hear loud fans in the XBone when its running, thats worth a few face desks

wa3Nq7j.png

#3 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

Not sure if it will over-heat. I'm hoping microsoft learned from the xbox 360 about cooling. That may be why it's water cooled...

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

it is possible, but it would be stupid to give it poor cooling (and mainly use vents) when you are basiclly spending an arm and a leg for something you most likely already own. but it wouldnt really matter, if it over heats and breaks from something being placed on top, you cant blame ms for that, just the stupid consumer (yes, if you do this person that is reading my words, i think you are stupid, deal with it)

It would actually be kind of funny if you hear loud fans in the XBone when its running, thats worth a few face desks

Oh, yes. That kind of thinking worked well for Apple during the Antanneagate.

I just have no idea how big of an issue it's going to be. I'm planning on building a custom gaming rig (at least as much as an iGPU allows) with a case that is about  7"x11"x2", and just looking at the mockup in sketchup It's obvious that a single sheet of paper can completely shut off cooling.

Based on the pictures of the XBone, there's two minor vents (back, right side), a major one on the top, and a major one on the left side. If the one on top is obstructed, then cooling is significantly reduced.

And for the number of people who I think this will affect, I don't think the number will be that low. I believe more than half of all users will keep the XBone horizontal, but I don't have a specific number. After that you're relying on people to be tidy enough to not put stuff on top of the XBone, have a general idea as to the purpose of the vent, and/or listen when people tell them not to put stuff on the XBone. I don't think those are great odds.

Edited by grahamf, 16 June 2013 - 11:44 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Nope, it's a water cooler

#6 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

^Like she said, water coolers can't overheat.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#7 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

^Like she said, water coolers can't overheat.

But they can give out warm water lol. :laugh:

#8 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hopefully they learned from past errors. The same with that mean red ring.

Edited by Rose Red, 17 June 2013 - 04:59 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Nope, it's a water cooler

Sorry, what?

#10 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

But they can give out warm water lol. :laugh:

lol good point

Sorry, what?

"water cooler" is what been said about the xbox one at e3 

#11 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

I don't think it has liquid cooling...

#12 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Dont you have to replace the liquid after a while?

wa3Nq7j.png

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

If the old PowerMac is any indication, liquid cooling would make the XBone heavy and fragile. Not a good combination.

#14 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Xbox one, is going to be the next "water cooler"

#15 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

People are actually going to buy an Xbox One? 

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I wouldn't doubt it. People bought the Microsoft Kin.

#17 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Had to google what a Kin was. >>
Anyways, I don't doubt that people will be placing the cases on top of the One. I do that myself with my PS2, but isn't there a whole half of it with no vents? Accidentally placing one or two cases so as to only cover one side of the "huge VCR" would probably be rare, especially specifically over the vents. Anyways, I'm sure one instance of this wouldn't kill it as long as no one marathons it for hours straight... it should have vents in other places too. Most people would feel the heat or air flow when swapping games or putting it back in the case and learn to not do that again. Even as a child, common sense told me that blocking things and hot technology were bad things. Makes me think it would have to have really poor cooling, or summer marathons for this to be a problem. Though tbh I haven't looked too closely at the hardware so I may have a few wrong assumptions. :P

Posted Image

#18 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think if it's an issue at all it will be a pretty rare issue. But because it's basically user error, Microsoft doesn't have to cover it under warranty.

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

People are actually going to buy an Xbox One?

I thought this was a joke announcement? So, they really are calling the third Xbox ... "one"? Lol
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#20 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hear me out. Did you see the great be honkin' vent on the top-right side of the XBone (when horizontal)?

Very, very, VERY few devices have a major vent on top. I've been planning to build a gaming HTPC the size of the ps4, and I have not found one case that makes sacrifices to size or cooling capability in order to avoid having a large vent on top.

And I think I now why: Obstruction.

My cousin usually leaves a game or to piled on top of his PS2 (stuff falls off of the PS3), and I realized that many people (including me) when watching a show will put the case for a DVD on top of the DVD player.

Now here's my guess: There may exist a scenario where people place game cases or other obstructions on top of the XBone, which obstructs airflow enough to prevent proper cooling. I can't say how likely this is, only that I think it may be possible. It won't be a common as the RROD which just needed a little dust and a warm room, but I think this might affect a small number of people.

Thoughts?

first off dont use air cooling on a beast computer. build your own water cooling unit. if you need help message me on here. I will walk you through it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!