Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Shigeru Miyamoto said during a recent investor Q&A that the switch to Wii U development – HD visuals and all – “requires about twice the human resources than before.” Nintendo “may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result”, which caused games to remain in development longer than expected. Miyamoto now feels that Nintendo is just about past some of these initial difficulties, however.

"When it comes to the scale of software development, Wii U with HD graphics requires about twice the human resources than before. Please allow me to explain that we may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result, the overall software development took more time than originally anticipated just as we tried to polish the software at the completion phase of development. However, we are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called “Nintendo Web Framework.” 

http://nintendoevery...es-than-before/

They really weren't expected a different in game development once they entered the HD market, seems like it came and bit them in the ass. Hopefully this Nintendo Web Framework works for them. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

In other words getting to grips with last gen hardware such as the Wii was easier as it was 2-3x as powerful as the Gamecube while Wii U is many times more powerful than Wii hence the longer development.

Once we see the next batch of Nintendo developed games their resources will be in place to create games and get them out to the consumer much quicker.

Between now and Christmas we will see a steady stream of great Wii U games to keep us busy. The forecast for Wii U titles in 2014 looks promising too.

#3 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I do not see the web framework being for the big hitters. But may be for smaller releases like the Free to play game and  other cheap, easily accessible games.

dont quote me on that.BVecause HTML5 can be used for blockbuster games if they really hunkered down.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

The thing about Web Framework is that you have full access to the hardware from html5 and javascript, meaning you can make a good game with it.

Rapid application development.

None of the Mario, Zelda, etc. games will be built on it of course.

New games they think of could potentially though, like pullblox as an example.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

The thing about Web Framework is that you have full access to the hardware from html5 and javascript, meaning you can make a good game with it.

Rapid application development.

None of the Mario, Zelda, etc. games will be built on it of course.

New games they think of could potentially though, like pullblox as an example.

Its accually 100% feasible (not that im saying they will) to create a mario, zelda or even metriod game on HTML5.

#6 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

http://nintendoevery...es-than-before/

They really weren't expected a different in game development once they entered the HD market, seems like it came and bit them in the ass. Hopefully this Nintendo Web Framework works for them.

That's not exactly what he said. He said that the it takes more man power than they expected. Which, is possible they underestimated what would be required. Not that they thought it would be the same.

However, I do hope they are right that they are past this phase. Nintendo can't afford delays now.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Its accually 100% feasible (not that im saying they will) to create a mario, zelda or even metriod game on HTML5.

No it's not.

Javascript doesn't offer the latency you need for a mario game.

Nobody wants to press jump and for it to jump 10 hours later.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

No it's not.

They could market it as "Mario Galaxy 3" each world is increased gravity so jumping is later! . People will go "Hmmmm.... Genius! this adds more of a challange where you need to think in order to jump. Enjoy the instant jump on super mario 3d world you casual kids!"   :P

#9 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

No it's not.

I have already made games for HTML5 , it does not need javascript just HTML5

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

HD has been a standard for years now, just proves how behind Nintendo were when it came to this.

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

I have already made games for HTML5 , it does not need javascript just HTML5

A core component to html5 (canvas, which is what you would use to create the visual area) is javascript.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

A core component to html5 (canvas, which is what you would use to create the visual area) is javascript.

We used CSS3

although we can take it futher using the  java elements, but  decided to see how far e could take the css3 side.

Edited by Cloud Windfoot Omega, 06 July 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

We used CSS3

although we can take it futher using the  java elements, but  decided to see how far e could take the css3 side.

How do you take user input?

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

How do you take user input?

Javascript of course, but it does not use java. there is a fundamental difference.  Unless you think that java script and java are the same thing....

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Javascript of course, but it does not use java. there is a fundamental difference.  Unless you think that java script and java are the same thing....

You said java earlier, not me.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

My question as a shareholder, ''You had 6 years, large amounts of retained earnings each period outside of fiscal 2011. You, as a company, custom designed the system. How on earth are you unprepared in anyway? Pikmin should have been on shelves 5 months before release, these my dividend payout will be less that, and, given the situation, we need all of the operating income we can get.''

As a fan, I wonder how they watched the 3ds hit the ground, face first, and then repeat the same deal with Wii U. Just mind boggling.

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

Isn't it also true though that working with less powerful hardware can take far more development resources. It really depends on the ambition and scope of the game and whether the software is a good fit for the hardware.

When wolfenstein was developed for the ps2 and original xbox it took something like 9 months to get it working on ps2 but about 2 weeks on original xbox because the hardware of the original xbox was more powerful.

The wii was not a powerful console and actually took huge effort to get some of the more ambitious 360 and PS3 games to run on it often with major features stripped out and graphicss downscaled.

Ultimately I think this is just about Nintendo trying to apologise for the lack of great wii u games at the beginning of its life. I think the wii u hardware will bring both advantages and disadvantages with regard development time. Its likely Nintendo didn't realise how much they needed AAA titles at launch and were hoping it would sell well on the wii name alone.

#18 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

A bad workman always blames his tools.

How many more excuses are Nintendo going to come out with ?

They really cannot be that inept, can they ?

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

My question as a shareholder, ''You had 6 years, large amounts of retained earnings each period outside of fiscal 2011. You, as a company, custom designed the system. How on earth are you unprepared in anyway? Pikmin should have been on shelves 5 months before release, these my dividend payout will be less that, and, given the situation, we need all of the operating income we can get.''

As a fan, I wonder how they watched the 3ds hit the ground, face first, and then repeat the same deal with Wii U. Just mind boggling.

This is getting old. Look, they have never made HD games before. Just because they made the hardware doesn't mean they know what was needed to make HD games. I made a PC but I can't make games.

Towards the 3DS argument, yes they should have given themselves more time from the 3DS launch to the Wii U launch. After the 3DS was launched, they couldn't delay the Wii U. Third party developers all ready moved budgets to release games by end of 2012. If they waited then the work they did for E3 2011 and the games they announced would have had to be canned. It could also mean less support for the console when it does launch.

So, yes, essentially they made the same mistake. But the mistake they made is not giving them enough time to change course, like they did with the DS and Wii. And they tried to correct it by having a Mario game at launch.

Isn't it also true though that working with less powerful hardware can take far more development resources. It really depends on the ambition and scope of the game and whether the software is a good fit for the hardware.

When wolfenstein was developed for the ps2 and original xbox it took something like 9 months to get it working on ps2 but about 2 weeks on original xbox because the hardware of the original xbox was more powerful.

The wii was not a powerful console and actually took huge effort to get some of the more ambitious 360 and PS3 games to run on it often with major features stripped out and graphicss downscaled.

Ultimately I think this is just about Nintendo trying to apologise for the lack of great wii u games at the beginning of its life. I think the wii u hardware will bring both advantages and disadvantages with regard development time. Its likely Nintendo didn't realise how much they needed AAA titles at launch and were hoping it would sell well on the wii name alone.

They were hoping third party games would sell their system. Like ZombiU. But that was a bad choice on their part.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#20 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is getting old. Look, they have never made HD games before. Just because they made the hardware doesn't mean they know what was needed to make HD games. I made a PC but I can't make games.
Towards the 3DS argument, yes they should have given themselves more time from the 3DS launch to the Wii U launch. After the 3DS was launched, they couldn't delay the Wii U. Third party developers all ready moved budgets to release games by end of 2012. If they waited then the work they did for E3 2011 and the games they announced would have had to be canned. It could also mean less support for the console when it does launch.
So, yes, essentially they made the same mistake. But the mistake they made is not giving them enough time to change course, like they did with the DS and Wii. And they tried to correct it by having a Mario game at launch.

They were hoping third party games would sell their system. Like ZombiU. But that was a bad choice on their part.

Remember, it is ultimately a business. This means developing strategies, and implementing them. Now, the Wii was the GCN, but it had massive returns. How there was not training and simulated development structured to simulate the transition, I will never know.

You building a PC without being in the business for the sole purpose of increasing a firm's intrinsic value is not comparable in this case. If Nintendo did what you would rationally expect, they would have the easiest transition to HD development.

Please do not misunderstand me, I desperately want them to succeed. I also believe there are answers to those initial questions that are unexpected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!