Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Disney has defended the cost of its new collectable, interactive video game ahead of its launch next month.

Disney Infinity encourages players to collect additional figures and add-ons inspired by the company's films. The starter pack, with three figures, will cost around £60, with an optional 17 extra figures costing around £12 each.

Disney told the BBC the game represented good value for parents, and that toys could be easily swapped.Lead producer John Day said: "I think the value proposition here is really quite good because normally, when Disney releases a new film, there would be another game associated with that that would be upwards of £50.But with Infinity we can still deliver that additional content moving forward, and for these playset packs - which are, in their own right, an entire game - the recommended retail price is going to be closer to £30. So you can actually get £50 worth of stuff at a substantial discount."

Siobhan Freegard, founder of parenting advice site Netmums, said there would be concerns over the potential for pester power.

"I do worry that at the moment so many parents are strapped for cash," she told the BBC. "It's not a cheap present - and to go back to school and find Little Johnny down the road has all the characters will make it hard. It is a never-ending thing. Parents need to know what they're signing up to."

On the subject of the add-on packs, she added: "I'm not sure I like that your character can be better because your parents have more money.The thing about Skylanders is that the children for a long time don't know the characters," she added. "But parents will buy this, and children will already know the names of all the others [Disney characters] - there's an immediate pull."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-23377953

I agree with the woman that these NFC toys are just big rip offs. I understand the concept, but a "game" should have a fixed price whereas this has no limit and puts huge amounts of pressure on parents. And as she said with it being Disney, means it is even more appealing to kids.

Micro transactions gone mad.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Uh...let's put it this way.

Nintendo is doing their own Skylanders-esque thing with Pokemon Rumble U, and the figures only cost $4. Yes, they're randomized, but they're still 1/3rd of the cost of a single figure.

So..yeah. Doubt I'll get this from a cost perspective.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hey remember that app the 3DS had? Called AR cards? Whatever happened to those?! They never made any games with them! And weren't they gonna make them for animal crossing? :P

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#4 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

And then it gets low sales, will they still defend the cost?

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#5 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Uh...let's put it this way.

Nintendo is doing their own Skylanders-esque thing with Pokemon Rumble U, and the figures only cost $4. Yes, they're randomized, but they're still 1/3rd of the cost of a single figure.

So..yeah. Doubt I'll get this from a cost perspective.

They are also a 1/3 of the size and a 1/3 of the quality.

Just wanted to adress that before I started replying to orginal message. I disagree. If you look at it as only a video game yes. However its not. Like skylanders it's a videogame + collectible game in one and honestly you dont need to buy every character if you don't want too. I love when games like this come out people go "What a rip-off!" a game ike COD or Bsattlefeild have like 8 to 10 £10 dlc packs as it's seen as "extending the game"

These games are about 1 of 2 things depending on your view :

1) Just a fun game that gives you figures when you buy on the disc content (resident evil 5 online multiplayer was kbs yet cost ALOT)  in that reguard it's just like every game today that focus on dlc instead of 1 good game

2) Or if you think collectors too. Reember in the 90s when we all traded pogs like crack in the playgrounds to get every one? or Stickers? or trading cards? today kids prefer games + apps over trading cards or pogs so this is away to do both at once.

As for the price. £12 for 1 figure the size of infinity ones and as good a quality they are? = worth it if you love collecting. Why judge it if it's making people happy? I mean Nintendo sells 2 of the same game for £35 each and tells you "gotta catch 'em all" but you cant unless you trade or buy both. If you buy both like some do thats like £70 for 1 handheld game. Go take that £70 on steam (not just summer sale) and see how many games you can buy. Or about the fact capcom keeps making new street fighter IVs at £ to upgrade.

Or how about this. WiiU comes with nintendo land. Yet it comes with NO remote or chuck so you need to buy sepratly. Or Sony telling us that ps4 has great second screen fuctions yet its like £200 for a vita ....

These figures are not the most greedy thing in videogames (DLC & online passes are IMO) they are just fun for people that like collecting. I've already got infinity preordered and looking forward to it

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-23377953

I agree with the woman that these NFC toys are just big rip offs. I understand the concept, but a "game" should have a fixed price whereas this has no limit and puts huge amounts of pressure on parents. And as she said with it being Disney, means it is even more appealing to kids.

Micro transactions gone mad.

Pressure on parents? Oh boy... parents need to suck it up and tell their kids no for once, that's whats wrong in this world.

This game/toy is really no different then train sets were decades ago that my own father and uncle grew up playing with. You would get the basic set and then want to purchase additional train track, decorations, and train cars...

Edited by Sorceror12, 22 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Pressure on parents? Oh boy... parents need to suck it up and tell their kids no for once, that's whats wrong in this world.

This game/toy is really no different then train sets were decades ago that my own father and uncle grew up playing with. You would get the basic set and then want to purchase additional train track, decorations, and train cars...

Also this!

I had the hornby thomas the tank engine & friends one growing up. Good times.

#8 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I mean Nintendo sells 2 of the same game for £35 each and tells you "gotta catch 'em all" but you cant unless you trade or buy both. If you buy both like some do thats like £70 for 1 handheld game. Go take that £70 on steam (not just summer sale) and see how many games you can buy. 

Just gonna say that's an unfair example. You can easily trade for version exclusive pokemon, and get them free. The second game is not necessary. You do have to spend money to "collect 'em all" with these sort of games though. Different things. :P

Posted Image

#9 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Disney infinity is a genius idea but they should ditch the toys. 

#10 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Just gonna say that's an unfair example. You can easily trade for version exclusive pokemon, and get them free. The second game is not necessary. You do have to spend money to "collect 'em all" with these sort of games though. Different things. :P

No you dont. You can trade , be given them , Not want everyone.  example skylanders I traded a friend as he bought it used I bought it new. I traded him Gillgrunt (starter) for Cinder (as he got two) now as a result it says i "own" both

#11 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

No you dont. You can trade , be given them , Not want everyone.  example skylanders I traded a friend as he bought it used I bought it new. I traded him Gillgrunt (starter) for Cinder (as he got two) now as a result it says i "own" both

But can you still play as Gillgrunt without the toy?

Posted Image

#12 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

But can you still play as Gillgrunt without the toy?

Can You still play as one of the traded pokemon after it evolves into another? No.

That was my point. Pokemons been using trade for years but gets a free pass as it's nintendo. Having red + blue with very few diffrences basicly says "buy both or miss out" now you can trade for free but you can get given figures for free or play online on disney infinity (so you can see the others do the game) ect...

#13 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Can You still play as one of the traded pokemon after it evolves into another? No.

That was my point. Pokemons been using trade for years but gets a free pass as it's nintendo. Having red + blue with very few diffrences basicly says "buy both or miss out" now you can trade for free but you can get given figures for free or play online on disney infinity (so you can see the others do the game) ect...

What? It was a serious question too. I thought that "unlock" of Gillgrunt meant you could play as him permanently. I'll take that as a no, you can't.

What does evolution have to do with anything? Yes, if I gave away a Graveler to a friend and it evolved into a Golem, and I suddenly want another Graveler, I can catch another Geodude and evolve it into Graveler. For exclusives and rares, if I trade my Charizard for a Blastoise, I can get an egg out of it, then reverse the trade and still end up with my original Charizard and a newly hatched Squirtle to evolve into Blastoise. Pokemon is very win-win with trades, you don't lose your ability to catch another Rattata for free if you traded your first one away.

Maybe if you could only catch one of each species your example would make sense, but right now Pokemon isn't getting a free pass, and not because "it's Nintendo". You don't miss out if you don't buy both, especially because now you can trade online without ever meeting the person. I don't think being gifted figures for free is comparable. Each figure is bought in comparison to one game potentially spawning infinite version exclusives.

Edited by Ixchel, 23 July 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

Having red + blue

For exclusives and rares, if I trade my Charizard for a Blastoise, I can get an egg out of it

Logical explosion. The old lady below Cerulean City was an uncoloured control freak.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Logical explosion. The old lady below Cerulean City was an uncoloured control freak.

Naturally. :P

I did notice the Red+Blue, but didn't wanna assume he stopped playing at 1st gen.

Posted Image

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

I think it's safe to assume people stopped playing Pokemon after the first generation.

Then it became like Soviet Russia.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

I think it's safe to assume people stopped playing Pokemon after the first generation.

Then it became like Soviet Russia.

I have played up to black & white (not 2) I just belive you still need both to get everything.

Maybe if you could only catch one of each species your example would make sense, but right now Pokemon isn't getting a free pass, and not because "it's Nintendo". You don't miss out if you don't buy both, especially because now you can trade online without ever meeting the person. I don't think being gifted figures for free is comparable. Each figure is bought in comparison to one game potentially spawning infinite version exclusives.

I meant the one you traded it too. As if you trade me a pokemon only in your version and it evolves I still need trade again to get another ect....  and trading online doesn't work (or didn't on black when I was trying) it kept getting 0 results

#18 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

lol

#19 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

no they will just blame Nintendo and say games can't sell on wii u. Seems to be the trend with games nowadays.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#20 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have played up to black & white (not 2) I just belive you still need both to get everything.

I meant the one you traded it too. As if you trade me a pokemon only in your version and it evolves I still need trade again to get another ect....  and trading online doesn't work (or didn't on black when I was trying) it kept getting 0 results

If you wanted another version exclusive you could probably breed the one you traded for to produce an egg.  Most pokemon can breed. I do hear the GTS gets a lot of complaints, although I've been able to use it before. Either way there's always forums and such to find trades if you have no IRL friends with version B...

My point was just that it's possible to get 100% with only one game purchase. There's even events that give out the cover legendaries so there's no trading necessary in those cases. Even if you have bad luck with it, it doesn't mean it's not possible. With Skylanders, etc, you can't keep unlocked characters, so it's different. If they changed that, it'd be a little closer to how Pokemon works.
And... thinking about it. Even if I went and agreed with you that it works exactly like Pokemon... Very few Pokemon are version exclusives. Usually the exclusives are comparably identical pokemon. Bird A vs Bird B, etc, so there isn't much to complain about besides completion status if you can't get both. In comparison to Skylanders where you get... three, I think? Then there's dozens more you have to purchase to use?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!