• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Reversal

Reversal

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

This week’s Media Create sales figures show that Nintendo latest home console, the Wii U, has sold one million units in Japan since its launch last year. Interestingly, the console reached the figure in thirty three weeks and the PlayStation 3 reached the figure in thirty eight weeks. However, it should be noted that the PlayStation 3 launched with a ridiculously high price tag back in 2006.

Source: http://mynintendonew...aunch/#comments

Edited by Reversal, 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#2 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Still pretty impressive.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#3 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Still pretty impressive.

not really......

wa3Nq7j.png

#4 Reversal

Reversal

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

not really......

But it is impressive. Selling  million Wii u units in a mere 6 months is great for Nintendo. Now we need to see how long it takes for America/Europe to get that much units sold for the Wii U

#5 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

not really......

This is just Japan, though. Japan is a tiny market when you compare it to the rest of the world. Remember, the Wii U isn't just selling in Japan :D

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

But it is impressive. Selling  million Wii u units in a mere 6 months is great for Nintendo. Now we need to see how long it takes for America/Europe to get that much units sold for the Wii U

No its not. Considering it has no next gen competition it should have sold a lot more then that. Its not impressive in the least.

#7 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

No its not. Considering it has no next gen competition it should have sold a lot more then that. Its not impressive in the least.

it sold more than the PS3 did in that time. Just give it some hope.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#8 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

it sold more than the PS3 did in that time. Just give it some hope.

The PS3 had a 600$ price tag on it. I don't see that on the Wii U. 

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#9 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Well then, let's see how Xbone and PS4 do next year for a fair comparison.  I don't think it's too bad considering that they didn't have their biggest games at launch.

#10 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

I think it's very good considering the current games library. Also, reminder that Japan is a smaller market than NA and EU.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#11 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

1 million is quite the milestone, no matter when it happens. The more people that own something, the more likely it is that people will buy it based on recommendations from friends or family.

But yeah, 33 weeks to reach that number isn't all that impressive, if this happened a few weeks ago maybe it would be more impressive.

Bring the noise.

#12 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

Frankly its pretty rubbish but we still don't know how the ps4 and xbox one will do at this point. They are likely I think to have good launches but how they sell afterwards is another matter. We are still in a world recession and many have other priorities for their money rather than games consoles. It's already been predicted that because the ps4 and xbox one are more modest upgrades in performance its likely people will continue to use their ps3's and 360s for longer before upgrading.

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

Frankly its pretty rubbish but we still don't know how the ps4 and xbox one will do at this point. They are likely I think to have good launches but how they sell afterwards is another matter. We are still in a world recession and many have other priorities for their money rather than games consoles. It's already been predicted that because the ps4 and xbox one are more modest upgrades in performance its likely people will continue to use their ps3's and 360s for longer before upgrading.

I do think the lack of backward compatibility and the potential higher cost of games will hurt sales. That said its been at least seven years since a new console launch and the Wii U isn't exactly doing well. I think despite the state of the economy they will sell very well because what people are looking for these days is a method of escapism from the triles and tribulations of the real world and games are perfect way to do that.

#14 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

to beat the ps3 in japan  in terms of sales in both consoles lifetimes, it must get around 10 million units. A very easy to reach goal, which i see happening easily.

the problem is the rest of the world.

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

PS3 and wii u are close to the same weekly sales figures currently in Japan and the ps3 may be sold for many, many years yet in Japan. Clearly the right software and console price will drive more sales but the future is uncertain. There may be ps4 titles that drive huge sales in Japan as well. I don't think anything is certain about wii u currently with regard how long it will be on the market. 

#16 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

I think last gen may end up being like Windows Xp to many gamers....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!