Photo

Why is Sony getting so much indie love...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

While Nintendo is working very hard to get indie games on the Wii U?

Even the PSVita (who sold poor) is getting so much popular indie love: Fez, Minecraft, The Binding of Isaac, ...

It just seems they don't like Nintendo or something... :(

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#2 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Because Sony is working equally as hard to get indie games on their console.

You silly, silly man.

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#3 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Because Sony is working equally as hard to get indie games on their console.

You silly, silly man.

I know, but why do they prefer Sony over Nintendo for example? Or why just not both?

#4 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

A lot of Indies probably prefer Sony for a few reasons. First, there's already a large install base for PS3, and supposedly PS4 will have a big one as well. As for Vita, I guess it's just easy to implement the cross buy feature, and cheaper development (not 100% sure about this). So Indies are obviously going to go to Sony since some indies (like Edmund McMillen) are pretty turned off from Xbox 360/XBO, even though indies can self publish now. And Wii U has a low install base (not sure why 3DS isn't getting the same indie support as the others, since it's quite the handheld right now, probably because of the lack of an account system and cross buying). So Indies will flock to PC and Sony for the large install base, and are their best available options. Wii U might get more support if it's install base grows.

#5 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

I just saw the gamescom conference and have decided to get a vita there are so many great indie games coming and there were alot of good announcements but also don't have so much brand loyalty if the games you want are on another system then get the other system don't just buy a system because it says sony on it or because it says Nintendo on it

Edited by nbond3040, 20 August 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#6 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

A lot of Indies probably prefer Sony for a few reasons. First, there's already a large install base for PS3, and supposedly PS4 will have a big one as well. As for Vita, I guess it's just easy to implement the cross buy feature, and cheaper development (not 100% sure about this). So Indies are obviously going to go to Sony since some indies (like Edmund McMillen) are pretty turned off from Xbox 360/XBO, even though indies can self publish now. And Wii U has a low install base (not sure why 3DS isn't getting the same indie support as the others, since it's quite the handheld right now, probably because of the lack of an account system and cross buying). So Indies will flock to PC and Sony for the large install base, and are their best available options. Wii U might get more support if it's install base grows.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

It's just strange that a indie game like Binding of Isaac easily could run on a 3ds (best sellings platform for the moment).

Or a game like Minecraft would be so cool on the Wii U using the gamepad.

#7 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yeah the 3ds ain't getting the love it deserves.

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

From what I know, Sony is very, very willing to work with, and even in some cases help to fund indie games for their various systems.

Plus, actively going out and finding devs that want to sell their games doesn't hurt either.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

I find Indie games overrated and most of them feel cheap. 

There are a few that are very good, but the rest is just garbage. 

#10 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the explanation. :)

It's just strange that a indie game like Binding of Isaac easily could run on a 3ds (best sellings platform for the moment).

Or a game like Minecraft would be so cool on the Wii U using the gamepad.

I think the developer of Binding of Isaac wanted it on the 3DS, but Nintendo turned it down because of all the religion based stuff in the game. They said they were trying to get the new remake of it (Rebirth) on Wii U and 3DS, and it seems that they're still hinting at it according to a Twitter post made today.

#11 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

The least they could do is put the indie games on the 3DS too! This is just biased when they put the games on the vita which no one has... and not on the 3DS!

Ignorance.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#12 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yes, the indie games are nice. However, I didn't buy a Vita for indie games. Sony needs to release good games on this dead platform already. I've been playing the same games for months.

#13 itogi

itogi

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • NNID:Shiranko
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Okami & SSB

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Vita is dead and all the game they have is ether port or no games at all.

5R5PY4h.jpg

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Sony actively seek them out, often pay them, and even more often, give them free development tools.
Sony also advertise them aggressively, as if they're worth something to them.

Nintendo just offer them an out, if they want it, and don't actively engage with them unless they show an interest and go to Nintendo first.

That's my understanding.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

The least they could do is put the indie games on the 3DS too! This is just biased when they put the games on the vita which no one has... and not on the 3DS!

Ignorance.

That is insane! Developers won't put games on the Wii U because it won't sell, but they'll go ahead and shove them on the mostly-dead Vita. I'm sadly going to main PlayStation 4 this generation (as I said earlier, developers don't care for the U); but the Vita can go ____ itself for all I care. 

#16 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

I find Indie games overrated and most of them feel cheap. 

There are a few that are very good, but the rest is just garbage. 

I'm in your boat, though i do feel like if these self proclaimed AAA studios don't shape up with better and new games, then Indie games will be the future.

In another forum, i do like the explanation someone gave, that supporting indie games is the only way for new studios to emerge to produce more games of even higher quality. to that point, i am a supporter for that cause, but these indie developers need to realize we own consoles, not phones and tablets, don't give us micro games. I may be wrong, but It would seem to me that these studios are at least capable of producing Genesis / SNES AAA games. give us some original classic sprite fighters, some of that old school with a touch of new RPGs, creative platformers, etc. 

buying fruit ninja like games on a console?...no thanks

#17 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

That is insane! Developers won't put games on the Wii U because it won't sell, but they'll go ahead and shove them on the mostly-dead Vita. I'm sadly going to main PlayStation 4 this generation (as I said earlier, developers don't care for the U); but the Vita can go ____ itself for all I care. 

I understand the Wii U... but I was talking about the 3DS! That thing is selling crazy dude!

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#18 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm in your boat, though i do feel like if these self proclaimed AAA studios don't shape up with better and new games, then Indie games will be the future.

In another forum, i do like the explanation someone gave, that supporting indie games is the only way for new studios to emerge to produce more games of even higher quality. to that point, i am a supporter for that cause, but these indie developers need to realize we own consoles, not phones and tablets, don't give us micro games. I may be wrong, but It would seem to me that these studios are at least capable of producing Genesis / SNES AAA games. give us some original classic sprite fighters, some of that old school with a touch of new RPGs, creative platformers, etc. 

buying fruit ninja like games on a console?...no thanks

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

When I think of Indie games these days, all I can think of is a really bad mobile game. My favorite Indie games would be something like Amnesia, Zeno Clash, Torchlight, Trine, and Path of Exile. I keep seeing all these really pathetic games being developed that are labeled "Indie" just so a few hipsters buy their games. I really don't care for supporting many Indie games because most of them don't deserve any support at all. 

Edited by EvilMoogle, 20 August 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#19 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

I understand the Wii U... but I was talking about the 3DS! That thing is selling crazy dude!

Exactly my point, and even breaks their "Nobody's buying it, so it's not worth our money." argument over Wii U development. The 3DS is selling extremely well and yet somehow it's not good enough for them; but the Vita is apparently fine with them despite much lower sales. 

#20 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

From what I've heard, Sony is much more open to the indie community then Nintendo or Microsoft. And they actively promote the games more with PS+.

Exactly my point, and even breaks their "Nobody's buying it, so it's not worth our money." argument over Wii U development. The 3DS is selling extremely well and yet somehow it's not good enough for them; but the Vita is apparently fine with them despite much lower sales. 

You seem to be confusing 3rd party publishers with Indies. 3rd party publishers said that they have no interest in the Wii U because of low sales of 3rd party games. Indies flock to the most open platform where they can make sales, hence PS4/PS3/Vita. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!