Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I don't care about what reviews say. I play the game and form my own opinion if I think the game is good or not.

I read professional reviews because I don't have enough money to buy a bunch of games hoping that they're good

In previous Sonic games did collecting 100 rings give you a 1-up?

Edited by kokirii, 18 October 2013 - 10:20 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#22 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Oh, so IGN criticizes the level design as being bad... because it's not a straight path?

Nothing to see here, just more game journlolism. Try the game out yourself before deciding it's bad.

I read professional reviews because I don't have enough money to buy a bunch of games hoping that they're good

Professional reviews are pretty much worthless as they don't actually review the games. Look into some reviews from unknown bloggers if you want some real reviews.

No, you just collected as many as you could to increase your score at the end of the level. Getting hit reduced your ring count to 0.

Edited by Molester Man, 18 October 2013 - 10:24 AM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#23 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Before I even consider buying it, I will wait for a demo on the eshop,

Right now I want to stay away from it.

This will probably be another game I wont buy, but if I do I'll grab the cheaper 3DS version (which is getting even worse reviews).

Edited by Ocarina of Time, 18 October 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#24 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

No, you just collected as many as you could to increase your score at the end of the level. Getting hit reduced your ring count to 0.

Sonic 1 2 and 3 did.

http://www.nextlevel.../soniccycle.png

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#25 Mocha Bear

Mocha Bear

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    Persona, Spiderman, Sonic

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Think I'll play the demo just to satiate my curiosity, until I get the game that is. 

Collecting 100 rings did give you an extra life, yes.

- You're so money and you don't even know it!

- D-Dude, don't get me wrong, okay? It's just guy love, right? Between two guys?

#26 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sonic 1 2 and 3 did.

http://www.nextlevel.../soniccycle.png

Huh, I was convinced it wasn't like that... It's been a while though. My bad.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#27 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

These reviewers are a bunch of cry babies. This is how its been in the older Sonics, collect rings, get hit and only get a fraction back. Not a big deal. Crying about not having a check point... really??? You want the game to play for you too?

I plan on buying this the first day. When i saw the IGN review I looked for other reviews out there and they are all mixed. 

#28 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Edge and eurogamer are just ridiculous 4/10....just to get noticed

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#29 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Disappointed, might strike this off the list. Shame, I want to support 3rd parties, but I'm not supporting it just for the sake of it. If a demo comes out and I like what I play then I'll get it.

2lvmghw.png

#30 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ouch I never base my opinion on a review but I do think I'll wait till it's cheaper to get it.

#31 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

It probably just gets bad reviews by big sites because it's a third party Wii U title...

No sig.

#32 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Game looks good to me.

Sonic was always best single player.

And LW looks challenging.

that's a good thing, right?

Somehow, I think these reviewers are the same no-brains that tested W101 and gave a tightly controlled game negative scores for "loose gameplay." LOL

The limited life system is also a way of forcing you to actually excel at the game the more you play, rather than have zero penalty for failure, resulting in possible completion without skill gain.

I am shocked at the words used.

A) will play the game.

B) Will most likely love it. 

C) B being true, will make the purchase.

Sega and Nintendo collaborating on a bad game? Possible. Not likely.

#33 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

To me it sounds like most of the reviewers only played the first level. The game gets a lot better once you get onto the second world imo.

#34 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

These reviewers are a bunch of cry babies. This is how its been in the older Sonics, collect rings, get hit and only get a fraction back. Not a big deal. Crying about not having a check point... really??? You want the game to play for you too?

I plan on buying this the first day. When i saw the IGN review I looked for other reviews out there and they are all mixed. 

Funny thing is, that's also an option in the game if you die too many times.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#35 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I had this pre ordered here in USA and just cancelled it.  I want to wait a bit and see if there is a demo for it.  I enjoyed the original Sonic game for the genesis and felt that with Sonic 2, the game started going down hill.  I felt it was going down hill because the platforming provided in 1 was getting replaced by .... uncontrollable speed and loop da loops coupled with cheap deaths.  You would start going fast to go through loops and then hit an enemy that you could not even see was there until after you hit it and were dead.

Over the years it seems this scenerio just got worse and worse .... the stopping and calculating a jump was gone, the seeing an enemy ahead of time and planning your attack was gone, having to plan your jump to bop an enemy was gone .... all replaced with speed, jump lock on [auto] kills, and twitch gameplay.

Now here is the funny part, this game may be making its way back to its roots .... true platforming ... and those who never played Sonic 1 or just got used to speed, auto kill, and twitch gameplay don't like it .... may mean to me, this is the best Sonic game since Sonic 1 ~ but I'll need a demo or instore gameplay session before I sink my cash into it.

I understand where you are coming from the problem is games are not reviewed with the same quality they once were .... back in the day, before the internet, you would have to wait for NEXT MONTHS MAGAZINE for a review ... and you would get an indepth review  on the graphics, gameplay, control, sound, and replayability.    Now everyone rushes to get their review out the day the game is released or before it is and they do not give you as indepth a review as you once got.

I have bought games that scored 10s and didnt like them and ones that scored 6 and loved them .... but these days its more of a toss up than it used to be ... demos are really the best way to know if you really like a game or not  and videos of actual gameplay from non reviewers is the next best way to know if you might like a game or not.

Edited by RETROBLAST, 18 October 2013 - 05:47 PM.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#36 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

bad reviews? game is automatically good to me. 

bb0.gif

#37 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Basically the reviews are "It's too 3D..."

And "it's not what I expected in terms of how fast you go."

Basically, a very poor job of reviewing from IGN at least.

#38 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

hmm... I really wish game reviews werent so worthless. Ill put the game mechanics through their paces with the demo, and if they are solid and consistant, ill just chalk it up to another case of reviewers being worthless incompetents.

This seems exactly like another Wonderful 101 situation to me. You'll see how good that guy is from the above video, playing his gameplay against the reviews, pretty funny.

I've played through the first 2 worlds, and a bit of the 3rd and it's met my expectations. I'm enjoying it. Sure I've died a few times but I felt like it was me messing up rather than the games problem.

This is the best Sonic has felt to me, the most control I've had, the homing attack feels perfect, I just don't understand the poor reviews at all.

#39 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

FWIW, I thought Sonic and All Stars Transformed wasn't given enough credit by the reviewers- I think I already posted it in this thread.  Maybe the game isn't a must have, but I'll bet it's still pretty fun.

Oh, so IGN criticizes the level design as being bad... because it's not a straight path?

Nothing to see here, just more game journlolism. Try the game out yourself before deciding it's bad.

Professional reviews are pretty much worthless as they don't actually review the games. Look into some reviews from unknown bloggers if you want some real reviews.

#40 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

In general people seemed to like SOnic Colors better than this game so I opened up a copy of it I got my nephew for this coming Christmas to check it out .... sorry but the controls in 2D platforming segments are not solid enough for me .... Well Sonic, when it comes to controls and moves, looks like Mario is still the king of platformers.  I wanted to love Lost World but I dont even like Colors , which for most is a better game , so I'm skipping Lost World and will wait TO GET LOST IN MARIO 3D WORLD.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!