Photo

Assassin creed 4 is out on wii u if anybody noticed.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Do we know the resolution of the wiiu version? 720p native?

#42 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Some things ive noticed after playing both versions. Wii u's foilage is much better in some areas, although it doesnt animate interactively like the ps4 was claimed too (honestly, i have not seen this in a single ps4 video). The lod system is much much better. Things pop in farther out, and possibly have more levels, its pretty distracting on 360. The water is much better looking on wii u. It has extra animation layers, and the layers it shares are animated much, much better, you can actually see the effect textures on ps360, like the specular highlights of the water animate at a slower frame rate as the rest of the game, very distracting. The sun shining through the water effect is much better done as well, its blended very smoothly with the rest of the water... While it kind of sorely stands out on ps360 .

Wii u version framerate also holds up much better during large battles. Although its not rock steady, you have to get a lot of stuff pissed at you for it to become really noticable. like a fleet with manowars during a naval fort battle. Wii u version seems to suffer slow down rather than dropping frames and getting really choppy.

I actually have to admit Ubisoft actually put some effort into this one, and their claims of the wii u version being 'somewhere in between' arent total bs.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#43 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Some things ive noticed after playing both versions. Wii u's foilage is much better in some areas, although it doesnt animate interactively like the ps4. The lod system is much much better. Things pop in farther out, and possibly have more levels, its pretty distracting on 360. The water is much better looking on wii u. It has extra animation layers, and the layers it shares are animated much, much better, you can actually see the effect textures on ps360, like the specular highlights of the water animate at a slower frame rate as the rest of the game, very distracting. The sun shining through the water effect is much better done as well, its blended very smoothly with the rest of the water... While it kind of sorely stands out on ps360 .

Wii u version framerate also holds up much better during large battles. Although its not rock steady, you have to get a lot of stuff pissed at you for it to become really noticable. like a fleet with manowars during a naval fort battle. Wii u version seems to suffer slow down rather than dropping frames and getting really choppy.

I actually have to admit Ubisoft actually put some effort into this one, and their claims of the wii u version being 'somewhere in between' arent total bs.

So I guess we can assume Watch Dogs will be the same (as Ubisoft has said), which isn't bad. I am excited.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#44 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yeah I've been playing it now and IT'S GORGEOUS. I wonder what next gen 2.0 (if we're 1.5) looks like...

#45 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

Saying 'much more' detail is a gigantic stretch. All three are near identical. If you say the ps4 version is 'much more' detailed because of its slightly different more burnt face texture and wet sand texture, you might as well say the wii u version is 'much more' detailed than ps360 because of its 4Gb worth of easily noticable higher resolution textures and effects layers it has over the ps360 version.

I see more than just "burnt face texture" myself. The other two look smooth and airbrushed in comparison. The PS4 pic as more depth and detail in certain areas. Look at his nose. Creases in his face. His throat. Just about everything. I am not trying to find this stuff. That pic just pops out at me and just looks better. By far. To me.

Which is why I will be waiting for the PS4 version.

They seem to be equal in bandana technology though.

Edited by Dharmanator, 05 November 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#46 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I see more than just "burnt face texture" myself. The other two look smooth and airbrushed in comparison. The PS4 pic as more depth and detail in certain areas. Look at his nose. Creases in his face. His throat. Just about everything. I am not trying to find this stuff. That pic just pops out at me and just looks better. By far. To me.

Which is why I will be waiting for the PS4 version.

They seem to be equal in bandana technology though.

Its not 'airbrushing', its lossy compression from screens taken off of youtube from another streamed compressed source, and compressed again (jpeg... at this point its like a xerox of a xerox) vs direct.

This is exactly what ive been talking about. This is why its so important to have comparisons taken from the same tv, with the same settings, from the same capture device, and have the pics taken at the same frame. People see some difference contrast settings, a slightly different angle which changes shadow placement, or a horrible feed, or any 'difference' at all and they start making wild stories to suit their confirmation bias.

Reminds me of the ps2 re4 fans, they noticed the lighting was different, and immediately began parading screen comparisons as proof the 'difference' meant ps2 was more powerful than gamecube. Turns out, the difference on ps2 re4 was the removal of all real time lighting.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#47 Kirby

Kirby

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft Nintendo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

I almost got it but it was too much money so I just got the third one.

kirby_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

#48 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

if i hear its better than 3 gameplay wise, then i will probly get it after i finish archam. 

also wonder if the wiiU + hardrive would sell for alot even though most people wont undertand the games on it.

#49 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

I almost got it but it was too much money so I just got the third one.

This one seems like a better entry game...

#50 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

if i hear its better than 3 gameplay wise, then i will probly get it after i finish archam. 

also wonder if the wiiU + hardrive would sell for alot even though most people wont undertand the games on it.

It blows 3 out of the water, literally.

The ocean and ship mechanics wete an absolite necessity for this franchise. Every other ac ive played started out with a bang and then became a chore i didnt want to finish.

With black flag, the monotony is broken up by a truly enjoyable voyage by sea, the ship controls believably, the simple historical design of ship armanants for that time period makes for a wonderfully enjoyable combat mechanic, tons of stuff to discover, whaling the old fashioned way is fun, diving for treasure with a diving bell is awesome...

And when you start to get board, head to land, and its fresh again.

This is probably the only entry in the series ill ever buy. It aped the best bits of windwaker wonderfully, and added a lot to it. the island world design helped their level design improve immensely, Each island is a self contained playground, and is content dense as a result.

By far the best game in the series. At this point, even the goofy ac story cant sully it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#51 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

It blows 3 out of the water, literally.

The ocean and ship mechanics wete an absolite necessity for this franchise. Every other ac ive played started out with a bang and then became a chore i didnt want to finish.

With black flag, the monotony is broken up by a truly enjoyable voyage by sea, the ship controls believably, the simple historical design of ship armanants for that time period makes for a wonderfully enjoyable combat mechanic, tons of stuff to discover, whaling the old fashioned way is fun, diving for treasure with a diving bell is awesome...

And when you start to get board, head to land, and its fresh again.

This is probably the only entry in the series ill ever buy. It aped the best bits of windwaker wonderfully, and added a lot to it. the island world design helped their level design improve immensely, Each island is a self contained playground, and is content dense as a result.

By far the best game in the series. At this point, even the goofy ac story cant sully it.

Thanks for that take. I am looking forward to this game and I hope it is a sign of things to come. I have cod:ghost, 3dworld, and Zelda ALBW... But once those are done then I will tackle this game.

#52 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Finally caught footage of whats been meant by the 'dynamic foilage'. Culprit is once again, incompetent gamz girnoliz spreading misinformation by trying to talk about things they know nothing about.

The foilage doesnt respond to the player, it moves when the storm weather state is in effect. It looks pretty cool, but its definately not dynamic, its a stafic animation thats triggered by a state switch from a finite state machine.

So that means the same blowing animation plays no matter where the foilage is, or what direction the wind blows.

Its not dynamic animation, like what was used in windwaker.... back on gamecube, where every scrap of everything, from foilage, links cap, feathers, to the tassels on spears and water drops that fall off wet link etc responded dynamically to what direction the wind was blowing, or to actions that created wind, like bomb explosions, deku leaf, or sword swings.

But it does look pretty dang good. I also noticed a nice rain droplet animation playing on the groung during the storm.

Ironically, it was footage of the first xbone feed that actually showed this.

Ah, the added smoke effect to cannons firing is another nice touch. Its a lot thicker on xbone/ps4.

Another one is water on the deck animation when waves hit.

These are all very nice touches, but... They are all pre rendered effects and animations, theres nothing next gen here, in fact, a lot of these touches were actually done two gens ago, call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth for xbox (favourite survival horror game of all time) did the water washing over the deck during an awesome crazy level.. And some of these effects were even implemented better, not graphics wise obviously the textures resolution and poly count were worse, orders of magnitude worse, but cpu side things like the wind actually being a dynamic force that directly affected animation in windwaker back on cube.

These arent 'next gen differences', they are more.... Extra production time differences.

The wind blown plants animation, while slick, is canned, its a precalculated animation. The water on the deck is simply an animated texture that fades in when waves hit, and then fades out. The smoke is sexy, very well drawn and animated, bravo to the artists behind it, but its just good ol volumetric fog/smoke, something the 3ds excels at (it has a dedicated fixed function to do it). The rain on ground animation is very well done, but again, its nothing more than an animated normal/embm layer thats turned on during storms. Been done since gc/xbox.

While I do believe its more than ps360 can handle... Its not because its something they cant do, but ac4 is already bursting those systems at the seams, something else would need to go so one of those effects could replace it. Wii u easily has the ram to add these simple tricks, but, it just didnt have the time in the oven... And honestly, its better this way for me, i would rather have half the improvements than another late wii u version.

So, these added effects, although probably too subtle for many to notice are nice... Theres nothing next gen about them. In fact, its the exact opposite of what the poor clueless gam jirnoliz is trying to claim in the very video i watched. These ARENT what devs are talking about when they say next gen will be more about behind the scenes simulation that make game worlds seem more alive and interactive. These are just good old fashioned well known static, precalculated tricks added on top of an already great looking game. In other words, if you are really interested in the 'behind the scenes' simulation stuff that next gen will bring... You aint seen nothing yet, and that even includes wii u.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#53 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Finally caught footage of whats been meant by the 'dynamic foilage'. Culprit is once again, incompetent gamz girnoliz spreading misinformation by trying to talk about things they know nothing about.

The foilage doesnt respond to the player, it moves when the storm weather state is in effect. It looks pretty cool, but its definately not dynamic, its a stafic animation thats triggered by a state switch from a finite state machine.

So that means the same blowing animation plays no matter where the foilage is, or what direction the wind blows.

Its not dynamic animation, like what was used in windwaker.... back on gamecube, where every scrap of everything, from foilage, links cap, feathers, to the tassels on spears and water drops that fall off wet link etc responded dynamically to what direction the wind was blowing, or to actions that created wind, like bomb explosions, deku leaf, or sword swings.

But it does look pretty dang good. I also noticed a nice rain droplet animation playing on the groung during the storm.

Ironically, it was footage of the first xbone feed that actually showed this.

Ah, the added smoke effect to cannons firing is another nice touch. Its a lot thicker on xbone/ps4.

Another one is water on the deck animation when waves hit.

These are all very nice touches, but... They are all pre rendered effects and animations, theres nothing next gen here, in fact, a lot of these touches were actually done two gens ago, call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth for xbox (favourite survival horror game of all time) did the water washing over the deck during an awesome crazy level.. And some of these effects were even implemented better, not graphics wise obviously the textures resolution and poly count were worse, orders of magnitude worse, but cpu side things like the wind actually being a dynamic force that directly affected animation in windwaker back on cube.

These arent 'next gen differences', they are more.... Extra production time differences.

The wind blown plants animation, while slick, is canned, its a precalculated animation. The water on the deck is simply an animated texture that fades in when waves hit, and then fades out. The smoke is sexy, very well drawn and animated, bravo to the artists behind it, but its just good ol volumetric fog/smoke, something the 3ds excels at (it has a dedicated fixed function to do it). The rain on ground animation is very well done, but again, its nothing more than an animated normal/embm layer thats turned on during storms. Been done since gc/xbox.

While I do believe its more than ps360 can handle... Its not because its something they cant do, but ac4 is already bursting those systems at the seams, something else would need to go so one of those effects could replace it. Wii u easily has the ram to add these simple tricks, but, it just didnt have the time in the oven... And honestly, its better this way for me, i would rather have half the improvements than another late wii u version.

So, these added effects, although probably too subtle for many to notice are nice... Theres nothing next gen about them. In fact, its the exact opposite of what the poor clueless gam jirnoliz is trying to claim in the very video i watched. These ARENT what devs are talking about when they say next gen will be more about behind the scenes simulation that make game worlds seem more alive and interactive. These are just good old fashioned well known static, precalculated tricks added on top of an already great looking game. In other words, if you are really interested in the 'behind the scenes' simulation stuff that next gen will bring... You aint seen nothing yet, and that even includes wii u.

don't know what you just said but yeah it's pretty!

#54 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

IGN have a comparison up that shows the differences more clearly. 

The PS3 looks terrible IMO, much more blurry than the 360 version.  As already surmised, the Wii U version is clearly somewhere between 360 and PS4 in quality, things like the rain effect is much better than 360 but not in the league of the PS4.  That said the PS4 version is not exactly mind blowing, but that is to be expected when its a launch game that is also on current gen consoles.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#55 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

PS3 almost max vs 360 max vs wiiU almost minimum vs PS4 absalute minimum.  expecting really big leaps in the future.

#56 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

IGN have a comparison up that shows the differences more clearly.

The PS3 looks terrible IMO, much more blurry than the 360 version. As already surmised, the Wii U version is clearly somewhere between 360 and PS4 in quality, things like the rain effect is much better than 360 but not in the league of the PS4. That said the PS4 version is not exactly mind blowing, but that is to be expected when its a launch game that is also on current gen consoles.

It may not be Mind blowing (PS4) but it had a hell of alot more detail than the Wii U. Water, weather, clothing. And that was noticeable on the compressed video. I am sure it will be much more striking in person.

#57 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

heres a video comparison

taken from http://mynintendonew...assins-creed-4/

#58 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

I must have bad eyes even with glasses. The differences are hardly anything to me. I can notice some with how it deals with light/shadows or the ground texture with the beach scene. But nothing game breaking. 

Stupid Snowmads!

#59 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

I can see a difference but nothing too great. I think I'll be pretty happy with the Wii U version.

I can definitely see a difference between Wii U and 360 as well which is good to see.

#60 dvl666

dvl666

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

What it does show is how many compromises there are with the 360 version and the WiiU version is not that far off the PS4 version, well thats what my eyes see anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!