• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

During his investor’s question and answer session, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata discussed Nintendo’s stance on third party developers and how they operate versus what Nintendo does to embrace or ignore them. Plenty of interesting information cropped up during the discussion, including the fact that Nintendo refuses to offer money for exclusives from these developers. Iwata states that if the company started such practices, it would be a never ending cycle.

Instead, Iwata stated that he’d prefer to rely on sustainable relationships with third-party publishers.

“In terms of how we view our relationship with third-party publishers, I think it is natural that there is a difference between publishers who have the software development resources like Nintendo’s to build a software lineup of their own and publishers who do not.

Since former President Yamauchi passed away, I have been considering what he taught us in the end, and his words that the worst thing we can do in entertainment is to follow what others are doing spoke directly to my heart.

Following and imitating others is the kind of reasoning that Nintendo tries to avoid the most, and while we certainly do not have a negative attitude toward strengthening our ties with third-party publishers, employing the same methodology as the other manufacturers would only lead to the most simplistic competitive approaches, such as price wars or money-giving that would never end. We would like to take a unique approach of our own and build sustainable relationships with our third-party publishers.”

A lot of what Iwata says makes sense from a business perspective, as Ubisoft has been one of the biggest supporters of Nintendo’s system, while EA who has not continues to make platform exclusive deals for the next generation Xbox. This stance on lack of exclusivity also explains why Nintendo has such a good relationship with indie developers, as both Microsoft and Sony often require a platform exclusive period for indie developers before they are allowed to release on another console.

http://wiiudaily.com...rty-developers/

#2 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

And this is why I love Nintendo.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#3 Happyfrank

Happyfrank

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

I love nintendo for life...

#4 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Nothing wrong with accidentally leaving a couple million on some 3rd parties doorsteps....Perhaps they could also forget the keys to their brand new cherry red Ferrari  :ph34r:

C'mon Iwata... the Wii U is tanking, Its time to throw good business morals out the window :P

#5 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I agree with his stance just not on every 3rd party. they need to aggressivley approach 2k and rockstar. nba 2k is the best sports simulation on the market and we all know what GTA does. that is one third party i would drop a nice check on their coporate doors. they just need balance. i dont want Nintendo home console to get every third party games because 90% of them are FPS and that market is overpopulated IMO. but it is just sad GTA has never graced a nintendo "HOME" console.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, exactly the attitude from 1980 and the one that will scare away all third party multi platform games.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

I like his thinking, but would it really be a bad thing if they bought a few developers or funded more projects. Good relationships aren't everything.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#8 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Nothing wrong with accidentally leaving a couple million on some 3rd parties doorsteps....Perhaps they could also forget the keys to their brand new cherry red Ferrari  :ph34r:

C'mon Iwata... the Wii U is tanking, Its time to throw good business morals out the window :P

Except that's nothing more than a short term solution that ultimately solves NOTHING. Moneyhatting never, ever works.

Anyway, Iwata being more interested in garnering good relations is probably the best. Too bad most 3rd parties are a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats who demand to be accommodated 24/7

Edited by Aiddon, 06 November 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#9 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Where are those third party collaboration titles Nintendo? Only one we know about is Bayonetta and w101. And SMTxFireEmblem. Where are the others? Do what it takes to get games on your system. And let people know they are there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!