#1 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hello guys next month i will be finishing  high school and i want to be a game Dev so what should i study game design or programming and what is the difference between programing and game design

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Game design focuses largely on the theory of what makes good games. You will end up studying Design as well as Art, Programming, etc.

In programming, you write code for a game.

I would go with programming not because it's better, but because it seems easier to get a job in it.

#3 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Game design focuses largely on the theory of what makes good games. You will end up studying Design as well as Art, Programming, etc.

In programming, you write code for a game.

I would go with programming not because it's better, but because it seems easier to get a job in it.

Okay what after i finish and i get my degree what should i do next to develop a game

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Okay what after i finish and i get my degree what should i do next to develop a game

1. Keep educating yourself
  2. Intern with a studio
  3. Build a resume and portfolio
  4. Interview, apply, interview apply
  5. go back to number 1.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

If you're going to plan on going into game development, you will end up having to know some programming.  It is very likely that you will work with procedural programming and object oriented before you can really delve into game design as a whole.

Before you going into a game field, know this.  It is not easy.  It requires a lot of work and problem solving with other people.  Be sure to have a back up plan, as it may not always turn out as you want it.

Computer science is a very demanding field, and you will have to go through at least some intense classes if you hope to fully understand how to work on games.

#6 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

programming. if you're unable to get a job in game development you can go into software development

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#7 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

i have a new question. what is an indie developer?

#8 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

A developer who's independent.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

A development studio who either self-publishes, or has no publisher.

Do you want to make character models or the game code?
Design is the first.

In a programming class you'll likely only do application programming, and will have to use your own initiative to apply what you learn from making applications to making game worlds.
In design classes you'll learn how to make polygons look like something, and how to use 3d model programs like maya.

I'd probably go to design first and just do some programming classes extra or after, depending on what your countries education system is like.
You'll probably change your mind next week anyway though, going from your previous posts here.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Why do people think its easy just to be a developer? I sat in a course the other day at my college, and its very timing consuming.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#11 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Why do people think its easy just to be a developer? I sat in a course the other day at my college, and its very timing consuming.

CS programs, in America, have some of the highest failure and drop out rates than many other majors.

People imagine it's just easy GUI drag and drop stuff, I suppose.

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

ZINIXS BABY MAMA, on 16 Nov 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

It is easy.

I'd say go design. You can use premade engines to create your game fairly easily. My sister's boyfriend has played around with I believe unreal engine, which which has a free trial. He managed to whip up a physics puzzle game fairly quickly.

See

Edited by Nollog, 15 November 2013 - 08:08 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

I'd say go design. You can use premade engines to create your game fairly easily. My sister's boyfriend has played around with I believe unreal engine, which which has a free trial. He managed to whip up a physics puzzle game fairly quickly.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Go programming. If you can't draw or 3D design well, then programming is the best route to go. I started C++ back when I was in the 5th grade and I'm currently stomping everyone in my 8th grade ComSci class without even studying like they do. Be sure you know how to understand pseudocode first. If you want and easier language that's closer to English, then I suggest BlitzBasic since it's a very versatile language for what it is. Alternatively, you can skip to C++ directly if you can find some C++ game programming books. 

If you do decide to go programming, first find the right IDE for you. Most of my classmates use CodeBlocks since it's an universal IDE but I prefer Visual Studio 2012 more since it's compiler has good compression and is faster to boot.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#15 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

I will be doing collage in the U.S . from what i got i will probably be doing game design and later i will take some programing courses .

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

Mahmoodinho98, on 16 Nov 2013 - 1:20 PM, said:
I will be doing collage in the U.S . from what i got i will probably be doing game design and later i will take some programing courses .

If you're in the US you can do design and programming at the same time in collEge.
I'd take programming first and game design second semester if I were you, as they might require you have some basic programming knowledge if it's called "game" design.
I dunno though, I didn't have any game design or programming options until my last year and decided it'd be a pain in the ass because the professor in charge of it was horrible at teaching.
Great programmer, but horrible teacher.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

If you're in the US you can do design and programming at the same time in collEge.
I'd take programming first and game design second semester if I were you, as they might require you have some basic programming knowledge if it's called "game" design.
I dunno though, I didn't have any game design or programming options until my last year and decided it'd be a pain in the ass because the professor in charge of it was horrible at teaching.
Great programmer, but horrible teacher.

What do you expect? As the saying goes: "The smartest people are terrible at teaching." or something like that.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Stromdeath, on 18 Nov 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:
What do you expect? As the saying goes: "The smartest people are terrible at teaching." or something like that.

I expected someone who could teach being a teacher.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

My college hired a database administrator to teach us. He's a whiz at programming but takes months to mark assignments. You'd think at the bare minimum he'd learn how to rewrite his tests to be scantron-compatible.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#20 DanI

DanI

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

For game design you need to be talented, to have a natural gift as an artist; it's not only technique. Of course you can learn all about software for 3D modeling, polygons and stuff, but you need a vision and this is not something one can learn, only can develop from a natural talent.

For programming you have to be capable of abstract thinking, and this is easier than game design, in my opinion. Start with C++, but don't use an IDE because you'll depend on it later. Using an IDE for learning programming leads to bad habits. Use only a simple editor with syntax highlighting, without autocompletion and any C++ compiler you like.

In any case, do a lot of work. Do not limit only to make homeworks; do a lot of extra stuff. Discover things; try different ways of thinking.

Good luck! :)

Please excuse my poor English...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!