Photo

Fast Racing Neo uses “4-8k Textures”, to Produce “Hyper real Graphics”, says Shi

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, for all we know those 4k textures could be disgusting brown colours that are incredibly uninteresting.

We're all just saying, that based on their track record so far it's a fair chance to look alright :)

i know but this is the Wii U. the negativity surrounding the console is always there. Believe me this game is on the Naysayers watch list big time. I just going to keep my expectations in check no matter what they have done in the past. I would rather be blown away than get my expectations sky high beause of their constant Wii U shi%s on last gen statements (yeah i stretched it a little bit but believe me thats what it sounds like to some) and be let down.

#42 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 01:22 AM.

#43 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

You can really tell who the haters are with news like this, lol.

I'm a hater because I use logic? Okay then you are a fanboy by said logic.

#44 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:27 AM

POPULAR

... I'll just take the logical route and listen to the highly skilled team of developers with a very good track record than the random Internet guy who clearly has zero technical knowledge on hardware or game creation.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#45 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

lmfao. How can you be logical? You have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

A 4k texture using bc1 would be about 10MB. That can easily fit on the edram on the gpu in game, it would be so large that if you zoomed in to the texture so each texel was the size of your 1080p tv's pixel, it would be the size of 4 tv screens. A texture 4k-8k in size would take 8-16 unique average size (512x512) ps360 texture tiles to replace, eating up 8-16x the bandwidth, with 8-16x the reads writes and calls.

Its not just possible, it actually SAVES on resources, its more effecient.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#46 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:22 AM

A 4k texture using bc1 would be about 10MB. That can easily fit on the edram on the gpu in game, it would be so large that if you zoomed in to the texture so each texel was the size of your 1080p tv's pixel, it would be the size of 4 tv screens. A texture 4k-8k in size would take 8-16 unique average size (512x512) ps360 texture tiles to replace, eating up 8-16x the bandwidth, with 8-16x the reads writes and calls.

tumblr_m85tc8bVex1r087o8o1_250.gif

They are wizards

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#47 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

why the hell would you put 1 10mb texture in edram?

also small textures vs large seem to be more/less ram space traded for more/less ram calls.

#48 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

why the hell would you put 1 10mb texture in edram?

also small textures vs large seem to be more/less ram space traded for more/less ram calls.

Because that one texture can be large enough to cover your entire levels background geometry with unique non constantly repeating features, and saves 16x recources like bandwidth, instructions, and executables, over the required 8-16 unique 512x512 textures that would be required to match it visually.

So if you HAVE the ram space, and the ability to support them, you can save MASSIVELY on bandwidth and instruction calls.

Also, with s3tc, the larger the original texture you compress, the higher quality you end up with, far higher than you could ever hope to acheive without it for the same amount of memory. Though id stay away from bump maps and alpha with bc1. They probably use detail mapping with procedural texturing for stuff like road bump's and similar textures that are easy to generate and look good.

Obviously, it cant be, nor is it practical to be used on EVERY, object, but it will still be a huge step up, even if you never get face in the texture close, because we wont be looking at the same tiny block of texture repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#49 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Leon1989, on 21 Nov 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

No, you just lack the understanding required.
A texture is something used to make a picture that moves inside of a TV screen when playing a videogame.

3Dude, on 21 Nov 2013 - 1:48 PM, said:

I was going to type something similar to this, without actual number-based facts, but I said "someone probably already said something similar", so I went back to to read a few more posts, and sure enough.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#50 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

... I'll just take the logical route and listen to the highly skilled team of developers with a very good track record than the random Internet guy who clearly has zero technical knowledge on hardware or game creation.

Okay you do that.

Don't be too dissapointed when the game looks meh because developers never hype their own games up.

#51 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

Okay you do that.

Don't be too dissapointed when the game looks meh because developers never hype their own games up.

This is hilarious. Have you not seen Shinen's games? I see little reason to doubt they can do this. The team at Shinen are gods. Enough said.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#52 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

Okay you do that.

BlindGuy.gif

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#53 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hopefully the game can stand up to it's visuals. Shin'en know how to craft nice-looking games, but their level-design know-how and general game-play concerns seem less well developed. I'm not saying their games are bad (all three I've played are good) but they aren't the best. Nano Assault Neo would've been fantastic if it were longer though.

I am intrigued to at least see this new game though.

Bring the noise.

#54 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Okay you do that.

I actually would've been quite happy if they'd come out with a game that looks exactly the same as fast racing league on the Wii, it was that good looking (of course, now that I've seen gameplay of that game I expect better, you know, newer hardware haha).

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#55 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

So it is September... we should be getting the 1st screens any day now.

#56 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

^ Did they promise something for September?

#57 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

^ Did they promise something for September?

Screenshots

#58 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

Screenshots

Oh, thanks.
Looking forward to seeing the game!

#59 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

If it looks a little better than the game "The Letter", I'll be happy with that.

#60 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

If it looks a little better than the game "The Letter", I'll be happy with that.

The letter doesn't look that impressive :s,

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!