Photo

Nintendo's biggest mistake with reviving Wii U

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

They've messed up on something that they wanted to do from the beginning, bring back Third Party support and release themselves from their "Primary Casual" demographic. Unfortunately, sales prevented Wii U from reaching this potential and to revive this falling console, Nintendo may have jinxed themselves from being able to do this. This video will prove it.

Their showcasing it as a family-friendly console for the kids, rather than a console for all ages, with games to please the casual gamer, AND the hardcore gamer. Nintendo is missing out on this, so whether or not sales pick up, the majority of these new sales will just be kids, not adults who are planning to pick up the latest Call of Duty, or Assassin's Creed. If developers decides to publish Triple AAA blockbusters on Wii u later on these sales won't be much larger.

Here are some of the comments from the video showing fan response (Before Nintendo decides to disable ratings and comments for this video too!):

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

What they should be doing is providing commercials that showcase the wide appeal to any consumer. While I'm not saying use an entire marketing budget for Ghosts on Wii U, maybe include it in a commercial saying that you can play all types of games on Wii U.

So yeah, Nintendo has basically collapsed on its initial concept of what they wanted Wii U to be, an open demographic console, but because of these low sales, Nintendo had to resort themselves to the Wii casual market.

Nintendo is "Wii'ing" the Wii U.

Thoughts?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

People need to realize and open their eyes that Nintendo's audience is the family, may not be what you or people who play their games like to be considered because you may just be a gamer but Nintendo's biggest audience is families with small children, it makes no sense for Nintendo to make commercials to go after Sony and Microsoft's fan bases when they can get families much easier. To me, I don't see why Nintendo should push Ghosts being on the Wii U when the primary demographic that will buy that game already has an XBOX or is looking into a different next generation console. 

Edited by Colinx, 19 November 2013 - 01:02 PM.

2lvmghw.png

#3 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

People need to realize and open their eyes that Nintendo's audience is the family, may not be what you or people who play their games like to be considered because you may just be a gamer but Nintendo's biggest audience is families with small children, it makes no sense for Nintendo to make commercials to go after Sony and Microsoft's fan bases when they can get families much easier. To me, I don't see why Nintendo should push Ghosts being on the Wii U when the primary demographic that will buy that game already has an XBOX or is looking into a different next generation console.

Because that's what Nintendo wanted, they wanted the Hardcore market to comeback to them, in addition to their casual market. And I'm not saying it has to be Ghosts, that was just an example, I'm just saying they should showcase it for hardcore gamers.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#4 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

These advertisements make me cringe.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

These advertisements make me cringe.

At least there is something to cringe about, earlier this year we could not have said that because there were no TV ads.

With that said, this is family time for the Wii U. Next year we get Smash, Bayo, X etc

Their showcasing it as a family-friendly console for the kids, rather than a console for all ages, with games to please the casual gamer, AND the hardcore gamer. 

Thoughts?

What? How can it be a family friendly console and not be a console for all ages? A family consists of different ages, young and old which would then make it a console for all ages.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

They are really in a crisis with the sales for the console, and apparently they figured this would increase sales the most. I'm sure they will advertise bayonetta 2 and X properly when they arrive. But I am not sure if the asscreed and cod audience, which is of course very large, is the target audience for those games.

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

So their biggest marketing mistake is marketing it to the most profitable audience they had last generation?

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

POPULAR

I'm sure they will advertise bayonetta 2 and X properly when they arrive.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think this is going to be the case.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

So their biggest marketing mistake is marketing it to the most profitable audience they had last generation?

In a way, yes and no

Nintendo's goal right now is to boost sales, but with this gain comes the sacrifice of the hardcore gamer that they wanted

#10 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

He's more or less saying that Nintendo's advertising approach doesn't coincide with the initial declarations they made around E3 2011 time. Nintendo did say they wanted to create a console that catered to both their Wii audience, and extend that to the audiences that are on the PS3 and Xbox 360, iPhone and tablets, and PC.

Of which, I don't think they've done remarkably well. They haven't tried their hardest to appeal to the 3rd Party consumer. Nintendo's first party offerings aren't the kind of offerings that completely sate those gaming pleasures that gamers get from those competitor models. Nintendo's clamp down on a complete gaming console simply hasn't been fierce enough for that objective.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

if you don't focus your marketing on a target you get zero results, if you at least target a demographic you have a chance of results.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

It'd be nice if they refreshed the Pro controller with one that's more comfortable (and has a built in headphone jack and maybe even proprietary keyboard connector).

Though it would probably be named Pro Plus controller which would be odd.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

POPULAR

lol some of those comments are pathetic "Nintendo stop advertising Wii U as a family console, i get called a baby for playing Mario". Srsly these losers need to grow a pair and stop caring what people think of them.

#14 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

The supposed "hardcore gamer" should already know of the Wii U's existence, and shouldn't need to be advertised to. The problem is that said "hardcore gamers"  don't care about the Wii U. Nothing will convince them that it's more than powerful enough to run their shooters, or what have you. All they care about is that Nintendo is for kids and Xbox is for kids, too adults. I understand that these commercials only further their silly misconceptions, but even if they did cater to the hardcore crowd, I don't think they'd change their mind about Nintendo.

The only thing I can think of that would have saved the Wii U is if it launched yesterday. The months-long game drought was the main thing that killed it, and that wouldn't be a problem if they just pushed back release another year. Another plus of doing so would be that, instead of the year-old console and the two brand-new, cutting-edge, next-gen consoles, it would be three completely new consoles. There would be much more talk and speculation about it, as it would be a direct part of the "console war", and I believe the sales would do significantly better due to more games and more hype. As it is, the Wii U is already kind of "dead"; nobody talks or cares about it as a next-gen console, because it's old! 1 year old!

Sure, the general derp-filled populous would be moaning and groaning about how long it was taking Nintendo to release their new system, but it would be better for them in the long run, IMO.

Families aren't Nintendo's "target audience", per se, but they're the only audience they have that needs to be advertised to. Like I said, the hardcore gamers know that the Wii U exists (or they should), but they don't care. If you're too old to fit into that "family" demographic, then you're too old to be asking your parents to buy you a console, at least in my book.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#15 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Never...... Mahahahahahah ......

No really Nintendo has always been build around family so this is what we are going to get. It works great for the kids and there little game but use older people want something a lil up to speed.

I seen one ad for zombiu and it wasn't isn't on tv or in the US. Which sucks because it was a cool game.

I don't believe I seen a Nintendo ad for ghost, ac3 or 4 and only a hand full for wind walker.

It's like all under is the family games and Mario, which is ok but as said there only going to get the lil kids and we all know they don't have money.

But that's Nintendo I'm afraid they will never change. Tons of people don't even now what the wii u is. And you can blame big N for that.

I'd love to see and ad where there is a dad playing ghost and his kid says dad I wanna look at tv then the dad switches it to off screen.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#16 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

POPULAR

Here's what they should do, make two commercials for the Wii U, one starring a family playing games like Wii Party U, Nintendo Land, 3D World, Luigi U. Then make one starring a some teens playing Assassin's Creed 4, 3D World, CoD:G, Bayonetta and W101.

Everyone's happy, move on, rince, repeat.

794144.png?13383682

#17 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

months ago: " Nintendo why aren't you marketing the wiiu?! where are the tv commericals?! NINTENDO STOP BEING STUPID!" 

today: "Nintendo why aren't you marketing towards me?!" 

#18 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

I dont see why this is even being debated? I cant understand why people cant comprehend why Nintendo is advertising with family commercials....

Nintendo isnt going to run a string of ads of roided out bros pounding down dews running around with machine guns blowing up homeless women... If what you want in a gaming company is a Die Hard style cinematic commercial experience then sell your Wii U and go buy yourself an Xbox One

A real "hardcore" gamer doesnt judge a console by its quality of advertising, they pick which console they want to play based on the games it has to offer, Nintendos biggest mistake isnt its recent string of family friendly ads, its the fact that it hasnt been making the games that the people want. Once SSB4, Mario Kart 8 and 3D World drop the gamers will be flocking over in droves to go pick up a Wii U

#19 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

It's not up to Nintendo to advertise 3rd party games. Activision and Ubisoft are publishers, and are responsible for marketing their own product. They're not doing us or Nintendo a favour in releasing their games, they're doing it because that is what their business is.

Also the term 'hardcore gamer' is the worst thing ever to have been said. It makes people sound pathetic as if they are somehow better than someone else because they spend hours of their life sat in front of the telly.

#20 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

The "Hardcore Gamers" let Nintendo down when they needed just as predicted by NoA's former Marketing Manager during the GameCube era. Just like the GC, "hardcore" gamers failed when N needed them the most so they're now shifting back to the Wii strategy. If the "hardcore gamers" quit talking crap and actually bought Nintendo's effort to follow their "dreams" then the Wii U would probably have more of their "hardcore" stuff.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!