Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

According to a new teardown analysis by research firm IHS, the assembly and combined cost of the components used to build the PlayStation 4 is estimated at $381 US, which is only $18 shy of its retail price in North America.

Previous reports state that thin gross margins on electronic products like this are a rarity, but this is nowhere near as drastic a margin as the PlayStation 3's, which sold at $599 US at launch and cost a whopping $805 to build. Even as costs came down later in the console's lifecycle, Sony was cutting retail prices, and they were still selling at a loss in 2009.

“If Sony could build the PS4 for a lower cost it would do so" said IHS analyst Andrew Rassweiler in an interview with allthingsD. "But if history is any indicator, it would also lower its retail price.

"It looks like once again, when it comes to profits, it’s all about the game titles."

http://www.ign.com/a...er-retail-price

Not nice.. @_@ 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Well at least it's better than last time.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#3 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Trust me, their losing ALOT of money. A lot of people are confused on this whole pricing. The retailer generally takes 1/4 of the cut, no more, but they can take less which is when the price is discounted at certain stores. In actuality, $100 from that $399 is going to the retailer. Another instance is the return deposit. With each console sold, a portion of that is also a "return deposit" meaning if someone brings back their console, Sony gets that money back. I'm not entirely sure about how much that is though...

But yeah, Sony's losing ALOT
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#4 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

i was expecting something along the lines of 450-550 to build. but if its that cheap, then cant wait for 450-500 dollar PS4 laptop, along with a 50 doller cheaper XB1 laptop.

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Huh? $500 laptops are crap.

For gaming.

A desktop, on the other hand, is possible.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Huh? $500 laptops are crap.

For gaming.

A desktop, on the other hand, is possible.

why not a $500 gaming laptop instead of a $500 doller normal laptop?

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yep, that's how it normally is.

The 3ds was sold at a lost and the ps4 was said to he sold at a lost before it was released.

Hell I think the wii u is even boarder lining that.

But they plan to make there money on the games

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

http://bgr.com/2013/...icing-analysis/<br />Estimate may be off.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

I heard it tanking now BC of a bunch of issues like psn down, something about the tray not opening, over heating, otherthings lol so price may not be the biggest issue here lol

#10 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

I was under the impression that this is normal for consoles, losing money on the hardware but making it back with games.

#11 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

I was under the impression that this is normal for consoles, losing money on the hardware but making it back with games.

It is.  Nintendo are the only company not willing to do it which is why they get so much flak for charging more for less capable hardware.

Unfortunately this is also why people under-value console hardware so much.  People expecting the new consoles to be so much more powerful than they are when it just wasn't economically viable to do so.  Why?  Because last generation Sony/Microsoft took much bigger losses on the hardware at launch, so big they cannot afford to do it again this time.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!