Photo

Reggie: Why you should buy a Wii U this Holiday season.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

David Ewalt: The way the holiday season is shaping up this year, your competitors have brand new hardware, and their argument to consumers is going to be “look at this fancy new machine.” Your pitch for the holiday season is “look at these franchises, these are the games you want.” How do you rate your chances?

Reggie Fils-Aime: We rate our chances very good. Software drives hardware in this business. We see it time and time again. We saw it with our Wii and DS businesses. We’re seeing it right now with Nintendo 3DS. It was probably a year ago, I was having similar meetings to these, when the challenge was, “Reggie, what are you doing with your handheld business? How are you gonna grow it?” Well, we bring our great franchises to bear, and watch what happens. Software drives hardware. And we’re having a stellar year. We believe the same will happen with our Wii U business, with these fantastic franchises that we’re bringing to bear this holiday.

I agree that software drives hardware. But this is also an industry where people tend to become distracted by shiny new objects.

That’s very true. But the interesting thing there is, if you look at the last two hardware cycles, it was not the most powerful machine that won, not in the case of the PS2, not in the case of the Wii. So, in the end, it’s our responsibility to show consumers how much fun you can have, because in the end, this is an entertainment business, and we think we’ve got stellar entertainment to make the consumer smile.

When the Wii U launched last year, a lot of people didn’t understand it was a whole new console. Are you still dealing with that mistaken perception?

That issue has been largely addressed, I think, as we’ve told consumers all the great things you could do with the GamePad as we’ve showed fantastic software like Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker in HD. The consumer I believe now understands this is a brand new system with brand new capabilities. It has all of the benefits of backward compatibility. And we’re the only next gen system with backward compatibility, so the consumer has this great library of games from Wii, can use them with the Wii U. But now they understand all of the new capabilities that they can have.

Has your relationship with the big publishers changed since the Wii U came out, and now that there are two new competing consoles, how do you get them to stick with developing –and especially developing exclusive content– for the Wii U?

It’s all about driving the installed base. With a healthy and vibrant installed base, those key publishers are gonna create content that are going to be wonderful for the system. Case in point: Activision. One of the number one rated games [recently] on the Wii U is Skylander SWAP Force. They’ve done a stellar job creating that content. And absolutely we look forward to Call of Duty coming on the platform. A true Call of Duty experience, leveraging unique play with the GamePad. You look at someone like Ubisoft. They do tremendous business with Just Dance on our platform. And we look forward to Assassin’s Creed, we look forward to Watchdogs next year coming on the platform. Warner Brothers… I could go through the list in terms of key software publishers that are making great content for the platform. And what they tell me every day is, “Reggie, how can I help you drive your installed base?”

So you’re not worried about developers saying, “Oh, well, I’ve got a much faster processor on these other boxes. I can do more with this.”

In the end, what developers want is a healthy ecosystem to create content and launch it into. And that’s what we’ve gotta deliver. And we’re fortunate we’re delivering that right now with Nintendo 3DS, which is why we have so many publishers excited about that platform. We need to do that now with Wii U. And it’s gonna be key franchises like Mario 3D World, like Zelda: Wind Waker that are gonna help us drive that during this holiday time.

http://www.forbes.co...holiday-season/

Oh, reggie.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

IMO, the pitch is not one that has a very strong foundation, as the Wii U's library still isn't very impressive after a year. It doesn't have much going for it over the Xbox One and PS4. Super Mario 3D World is the first title that I have seen have a breakthrough all-around burst of hype and positivity for. Beside that, in regards to first party Nintendo titles (which are what I watch for) you have Pikmin 3, which has more limited appeal, Wind Waker HD - an overpriced remastered port of a 10 year old game, and New Super Mario Bros. 1.3.

If there's anything I missed, well that tells you how memorable it is. xD

So, IMO, it is silly to see Reggie bragging about this. But you know... He's the same guy that thought that Nintendo was in a position to claim that the Xbox One and PS4 had a poor launch library, so I can't take him seriously anyway.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#3 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

In what world is this guy living in if he thinks publishers are trying to drive the install base of Wii U? They seem like they're running from it to me.

#4 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo needs to rerun their strategy.

No sig.

#5 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Mostly pr speak, but it i am quite willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and with the PS4 and XBO showing nothing but mediocrity game wise i have got plenty of time spare to allow Nintendo the chance to wow us on a more regular basis than they did through 2013.

#6 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

He's the same guy that thought that Nintendo was in a position to claim that the Xbox One and PS4 had a poor launch library, so I can't take him seriously anyway.

But he is right, X1 and PS4 do have a "meh" launch lineup when you compare it to the Wii U's current library (which is exactly what he was doing).

#7 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Mostly pr speak, but it i am quite willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and with the PS4 and XBO showing nothing but mediocrity game wise i have got plenty of time spare to allow Nintendo the chance to wow us on a more regular basis than they did through 2013.

Unfortunately it seems that mediocrity is what people want. In fact they want the exact same mediocrity they've been getting for years, just shinier. Give them an FPS with the same controls as the last 50 games, a five hour linear campaign that's padded with cinematic events that you watch, a multiplayer mode that hasn't changed a bit from the previous entries aside from some gimmick (dog tags, dogs, RC cars, etc.), and boom you have yourself a game of the year contender. Oh and don't forget high production values and achievements. If the game isn't comparable to a Michael Bay film then it's not even a game. 

pNgecl.gif

#8 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

He's the same guy that thought that Nintendo was in a position to claim that the Xbox One and PS4 had a poor launch library, so I can't take him seriously anyway.

He certainly was in a position to make such a claim and the critics show that he was right.  

Edited by kokirii, 01 December 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#9 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

But you know... He's the same guy that thought that Nintendo was in a position to claim that the Xbox One and PS4 had a poor launch library, so I can't take him seriously anyway.

Are you saying you actually think the Xbox1 and the PS4 has good launch libraries?

#10 Leland

Leland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Unfortunately it seems that mediocrity is what people want. In fact they want the exact same mediocrity they've been getting for years, just shinier. Give them an FPS with the same controls as the last 50 games, a five hour linear campaign that's padded with cinematic events that you watch, a multiplayer mode that hasn't changed a bit from the previous entries aside from some gimmick (dog tags, dogs, RC cars, etc.), and boom you have yourself a game of the year contender. Oh and don't forget high production values and achievements. If the game isn't comparable to a Michael Bay film then it's not even a game.

So they'd be better off with another NSMB or Mario Kart? Pokemon?

#11 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Xbox1 has a very good launch lineup but it's just too expensive while ps4 has an avg. line up better than the wiiu launch. Still the wiiu a year later barley manages to beat its competitors with Mario being the shiny new game. To be honest tho I'm the type of person who thinks that even if the game is coming out on the current systems it's better on next gen and for the most part it is.

Also I would never say people are accepting mediocrity since on ps3/360 games like The Last of Us,GTA5,Bioshock, and tomb raider all came out this year alone and they all sold well, so people buying a ps4(like myself) or an X1 know those games will come.

Finally that's the big question I think most gamers contemplate when will Nintendo release more games that will compete with the quality those of games since this past year of wiiu there has only been 2 games being Mario3dWorld and a hd remake of a 10 year old game(if that even counts).

Edited by LinkKennedy, 01 December 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#12 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

He certainly was in a position to make such a claim and the critics show that he was right.  

No kidding; can't exactly fault the guy when he turned out to be right in the end. When are people going to learn that mocking Nintendo and underestimating them is completely stupid?

#13 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Are you saying you actually think the Xbox1 and the PS4 has good launch libraries?

The kinds of games that are in the launch of both consoles don't appeal to me, so I can't really say. However, I do know that there are plenty of titles in each launch that have appealed to others.

Besides, my point wasn't actually that the Xbox One and PS4 had a good launch, but instead that the Wii U did not have a good enough launch itself to justify Reggie taking jabs at either console's launch. Regardless of where the Wii U ends up in the end, it's ridiculous for him to make such a comment.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#14 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

So they'd be better off with another NSMB or Mario Kart? Pokemon?

Way to miss a point. But I'll bite regardless.

NSMB? That depends. The series has potential but they need to quit just trying to emulate what the first Mario Bros. games did. They need to work branching out and doing their own thing. When the NSMB series does this, it's awesome.

Mario Kart? Hellz yes.

Pokemon? Absolutely 

pNgecl.gif

#15 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

But you know... He's the same guy that thought that Nintendo was in a position to claim that the Xbox One and PS4 had a poor launch library, so I can't take him seriously anyway.

Um, the Xbox One and PS4 does have a poor launch library, just because Nintendo also did means he's not allowed to say that? It's like saying I have a terrible singing voice, but I call other singers terrible, I'm allowed to say that, it's an opinion. Just because the same thing is happening to me doesn't mean I'm not allowed to say it to others.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#16 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Um, the Xbox One and PS4 does have a poor launch library, just because Nintendo also did means he's not allowed to say that? It's like saying I have a terrible singing voice, but I call other singers terrible, I'm allowed to say that, it's an opinion. Just because the same thing is happening to me doesn't mean I'm not allowed to say it to others.

Common sense prevails once again

The difference is that Nintendo never heard the end of the unicorn tongue about games after Wii U's launch and now the PSBoners are acting like it's completely normal for a new console not to come out of the gate with a pile of must-have games. 

Edited by kokirii, 01 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#17 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

I don't think people care anymore if he criticizes the launch of both X1/PS4 but I feel that the WiiU has not really made that big of a case for it to be bought by people. Again how many titles has their been released on the system since its debut that are worthy to stand next to the quality titles of their competitors? I feel its only 3 with Mario3dworld,Pikmin3 and a remake. So looking at the launch of both PS4 and X1 they came out with at least 1 or 2 good launch exclusives that being Killzone, Resogun, Forza, Killer Instinct and Dead Rising granted this is only an opinion but I just didn't find anything from the wiiu launch all that great and it wasn't till pikman that I honestly finished a game on the wiiu since most I had already played on other systems and they weren't improved on the wiiu. 

So viewing this at a distance I feel that in a years time the ps4/X1 will have some great exclusives and even better 3rd party support. Again I'm not saying the wiiu is bad I find the system to be quite great to be honest, I use the browser on it everyday but I find that I only play those 3 games I mentioned since the other stuff like ZombieU(not bad but gets really tiresome real fast), that Lego game(Not a lego fan, so I cant really judge) and theres others but I cant remember weren't really that great.

Meanwhile the PS4/X1 I find myself playing games that are available on last gen but their made better on next gen like Battlefield4, NBA2k14, and their exclusives like Killer I, DR,KillZone,Resogun and Forza. 

#18 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Common sense prevails once again

The difference is that Nintendo never heard the end of the unicorn tongue about games after Wii U's launch and now the PSBoners are acting like it's completely normal for a new console not to come out of the gate with a pile of must-have games. 

No kidding, people gave Nintendo fans nothing but grief when it came to the Wii U but when Nintendo fans were able to fire back with the PS4 and XB1's typical launch lineups suddenly they cry "NO FAIR!"? It's these kind of double standards that make me completely disgusted with the current state of the industry

#19 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Well in a way those that buy into these new consoles have at least got one new innovation to look forward to, with their season passes, dlc on and off the disc, and one time passes, they now have to look at the new way they are about to be rewarded for spending 500 quid on new hardware and 60 quid on games, microtansactions, the thank you gift from the next gen consoles that's going to continue to give and give. lol

Edited by GCD, 01 December 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

IMO, the pitch is not one that has a very strong foundation, as the Wii U's library still isn't very impressive after a year. It doesn't have much going for it over the Xbox One and PS4. Super Mario 3D World is the first title that I have seen have a breakthrough all-around burst of hype and positivity for. Beside that, in regards to first party Nintendo titles (which are what I watch for) you have Pikmin 3, which has more limited appeal, Wind Waker HD - an overpriced remastered port of a 10 year old game, and New Super Mario Bros. 1.3.

If there's anything I missed, well that tells you how memorable it is. xD

So, IMO, it is silly to see Reggie bragging about this. But you know... He's the same guy that thought that Nintendo was in a position to claim that the Xbox One and PS4 had a poor launch library, so I can't take him seriously anyway.

Games currently on Wii U: Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost Worlds, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, Pikman 3, Zelda:WW, ZombiU to name a few. Plus, coming soon, X, SSB4, Mario Kart 8. All of those will be system sellers. And that's speaking first and second part. Not mentioning the third party software, like Skylanders and Assassin Creed, that's put on the system.

So there is a lot of reason to buy this system. And remember, with the 3DS it was Mario 3D Land that started it's recovery.

And looking historically, Nintendo has been asked this question before. Nintendo has been told by industry insiders you're going to fail. Even way back in 1991.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=n_E2lh1lgmk

What did they say back then? It's all about the games. Who won by the way? Sega is still going strong, right? Wrong. They aren't making hardware. Nintendo still is.

They'll be fine. They might be last this generation, but I have always said they will be the PS3 of this generation. Last with 70+ million sales. That's not a horrible position to be in. You'd be hard press to find anyone who says the PS3 was an utter failure. And in the end, those same ppl who think Sony did okay should think the same of Nintendo.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!